?Idea?

Moderator: D-Rainger

Re: ?Idea?

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:42 am

Nah, I like metallic sounding flangers fine as long as there's some warmth to 'em. I know by their very nature flangers aren't as warm sounding as some other modulation (like phasers).

I often use a really short delay time on flangers. So, I guess, some of that metallicness comes with the territory. I meant overall tonality.

One of my main problems with the Starlight DLX was that it was too cold sounding. (That and it was a little too feature-laden for me.) Great flanger otherwise. Same with the TC Electronic Vortex. I liked it for the money as well. It was also a bit too cold though.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby D-Rainger » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:30 pm

By 'warm' do you mean full-sounding, not an exaggerated top-end?
And 'cold'= less body?
It would really help if you can pin it down some more....
Can you mention any warm ones??
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:00 pm

Yeah, "warm" would be a fairly balanced frequency range. "Cold" is definitely less body and a harsh sounding top end. A lot of flangers definitely cut low end. Those're the ones I generally avoid. I don't want the entire bottom of my signal to drop out when I stomp a flanger on.

Most of the warmest sounding I've heard are a lot of the cheap '80s flangers. Off-brands like Yamaha, Korg, Pearl, Guyatone, Aria. Stuff like that. I don't know if it's the quality (or lack thereof) of the chips they used or what? :idk: If you're going the digital route with your design, it might not be too difficult to emulate that with filtering. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby D-Rainger » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Yeah, "warm" would be a fairly balanced frequency range. "Cold" is definitely less body and a harsh sounding top end. A lot of flangers definitely cut low end. Those're the ones I generally avoid. I don't want the entire bottom of my signal to drop out when I stomp a flanger on.

Most of the warmest sounding I've heard are a lot of the cheap '80s flangers. Off-brands like Yamaha, Korg, Pearl, Guyatone, Aria. Stuff like that. I don't know if it's the quality (or lack thereof) of the chips they used or what? :idk: If you're going the digital route with your design, it might not be too difficult to emulate that with filtering. :idk:

Yes - filtering might be quite important...

I love my old purple Boss flanger.

You know back when I was a tape op in a big recording studio, we had an old engineer come in for a session, who was present on one of the first occasions when they discovered flanging - when they'd play two tape recorders with exactly the same audio tape on each - started at the same time - and someone would skim their thumb on the outside flange of one tape reel.... When the right lucky syncronisation happened and the audio would start the magical rise and fall effect...
'But didn't all the low-end drop away??' I asked him.
'Yeah - but we didn't care! It was flanging!!!'

Things have come a long way since then.
I think it'd be important to not have your tone messed up.
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to Rainger FX