Name help please!

Moderator: D-Rainger

Name help please!

Postby D-Rainger » Thu May 21, 2015 8:21 am

It's a digital delay mini-pedal!
Has 'level', 'feedback', and 'speed' controls.
Comes with Igor foot controller - which either controls the delay speed, amount of feedback, or as a 'send to' control (guitar is totally dry until Igor is pressed, which sends signal to the delay line which then echoes away - while you can carry on playing dry :!!!: ).
The echo itself has a slight top-end roll-off, and some low-end roll-off too - which I think sounds totally brilliant!!! :!!!: :!!!: Reminds me of dub echoes (plus with the send and other controls...). As it spins away it sounds somehow.... like music......

Why does no-one seem to care about low-end roll-off in delay pedals?!! It totally rules!!!! :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:
This pedal isn't a looper pedal - trying to faithfully reproduce the original sound. With delay I either want dubby weirdness/sound bending as it spins away, or just some 'echo-ness' while I'm playing - ie get out of the way, frequency-wise!!!!

It's not trying to sound 'analogue'. It's a digital delay, sounds gorgeous, about 600ms max, deeply cute, oscillates lovely, tiny enclosure, tiny price etc.

Needs a name.
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Re: Name help please!

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 21, 2015 9:53 am

No idea for a name, but I wanna hear some sound clips. Please!
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Thu May 21, 2015 10:24 am

It sounds like an awesome little pedal! Is it the same size as the Dwarf and Invader? This sounds awesome though. Yes, clips, please.

Compactlicator, Invasive Replicant, Chrono Transponder, Dubtronic Beacon....I don't know, I tried based on your other pedals and tried to keep it the realm of the 50-60s sci-fi theme.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 21, 2015 10:45 am

D-Rainger in D-D-Dub
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Pepe » Thu May 21, 2015 10:52 am

DD-3.1 ;)

D-Rainger wrote:Why does no-one seem to care about low-end roll-off in delay pedals?!! It totally rules!!!! :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

The KORG ToneWorks 301dl has both HI and LOW cutoff. I love it for that feature.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D-Rainger » Thu May 21, 2015 11:06 am

Hey guys thanks! Lots of encouragements here - and names got me thinking...
Yes, same size as Dwarf and ASI, sockets on the end, switches at the bottom end, input and output knobs too - for keeping the input not too hot (LED level indicator) and for boosting the overall output back up to mad levels....
5 knobs in total - mini black ones, like ASI.

Will post soundclips asap.
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Pepe » Thu May 21, 2015 11:32 am

"Again please?"
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Thu May 21, 2015 1:42 pm

This thing keeps sounding more awesome. The send-to mode sounds like something I have wante for a while. Low-end roll off is something that is good too.

More thoughts:
La Retraso Filtrada or just El Retraso
ReRetrograder
Electro Replicant
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu May 21, 2015 3:19 pm

Igor for dub feedback control will be fantastic.
In tribute to some awesome Dub, maybe Doctor Freakenstein Meets Igor at Dub Station. Or maybe that should be the name of a dual pedal with a Freakenstein and this delay housed together...
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue May 26, 2015 5:06 pm

First--this sounds eleventy-one kinds of aws-sauce! :!!!:

But..help me understand. :erm:

Igor press would trigger a delay cycle, right, which could mean one Igor press=numerous evenly spaced repeats starting when you press? I guess you could also adjust the feedback so you get just one repeat in the cycle and pressing the Igor can trigger sorta instant repeats to the rhythm of your press? Can you, I dunno, override/flood the buffer (that phrase soundz kewl, but I'm not sure it means what I want to say), erm basically trigger new repeats in the midst of a repeat cycle such that the result would sound glitchy?

Love the frequency loss idea; when I first started to pay attention to delay at all, that was the sound that caught my attention....

Erm...Brixton Inshoreckshun, Dub Inshoreckshun, Dub Nation, Dub Dwarf.
Last edited by Dandolin on Tue May 26, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue May 26, 2015 5:15 pm

This sounds amazing! I love the sound of high-pass filters on delays and reverbs, and having a cascade of delay that's only what you get when you press the switch and then it's dry again? That sounds incredible (I think I understood right?). This is super duper on my radar.

No ideas on a name unfortunately, just encouragement! :thumb:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby neonblack » Tue May 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Reanimated Brain

Sort of goes with the Igor delay trigger idea, like its the bolt of lightning that restarts the brain.

I want this bad.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue May 26, 2015 5:33 pm

neonblack wrote:Reanimated Brain

Sort of goes with the Igor delay trigger idea, like its the bolt of lightning that restarts the brain.

:lol: :thumb:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Tue May 26, 2015 5:59 pm

This pedal has me really excited. I remember reading elsewhere that the Igor can be subsituted for other CV sources, correct?

This thing can be as glitchy as you could imagine with different CV sources, I suppose. Also, controlled spikes of oscillation!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D-Rainger » Wed May 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Dandolin wrote:First--this sounds eleventy-one kinds of aws-sauce! :!!!:

But..help me understand. :erm:

Igor press would trigger a delay cycle, right, which could mean one Igor press=numerous evenly spaced repeats starting when you press? I guess you could also adjust the feedback so you get just one repeat in the cycle and pressing the Igor can trigger sorta instant repeats to the rhythm of your press? Can you, I dunno, override/flood the buffer (that phrase soundz kewl, but I'm not sure it means what I want to say), erm basically trigger new repeats in the midst of a repeat cycle such that the result would sound glitchy?

Love the frequency loss idea; when I first started to pay attention to delay at all, that was the sound that caught my attention....

Erm...Brixton Inshoreckshun, Dub Inshoreckshun, Dub Nation, Dub Dwarf.

An Igor press sends to the delay circuit - but it's the nature of Igor that the press isn't 'hard-edged'.... It has the same attack as stamping down on an expression pedal.
Yes - with one repeat you could re-send in some sort of rhythm. You could actually use it as a looper - play something with Igor pressed, let that loop away, play dry over the top of it, maybe add another note to the echo.... But over about ten repeats the sound starts to change, gets interestingly melted... Then new repeats added to it would sound 'newer'. Also it isn't an amazingly long delay time. Did I say 600ms? Now I'm not sure if it'd be that much, but it'd be enough to be useful in songs (of varying speeds). Like I said, it's not meant to be a looper.

But right now, I'm dealing with all kinds of problems with it. I'll get there, but electronics is very unforgiving - until it suddenly works, and then it's a big rush :!!!: :!!!:
To tell the truth, I was never aware of the bass-cut aspect, just while I was working on this started wondering why it seemed to sound extra cool.... :cool:

'Dub Dwarf' is pretty neat....

BTW when this is out I gotta make baseplates to attach two RFX mini-pedals together.... Dwarf and a delay together side-by-side would be about as wide as a regular 'Boss' pedal (but of course no side sockets!). And the footswitches would be about 4cm apart! Easily switch them on together, and both with Igors. A little patch lead joining them.

It'd be possible to switch them individually if you weren't drunk.

Offer a wider spaced baseplate for when you were....

Or a small trained monkey to switch them individually for you.

Do you know Danny Gatton had a human being to turn his effects on and off for him?! (usually a leslie cabinet).

I'd have been quite happy doing that for him.
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to Rainger FX