Any delay pedal ideas?

Moderator: D-Rainger

Re: Any delay pedal ideas?

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:57 am

wfs1234 wrote:I've yet to see a delay with a tone knob. :idk: Seems like it'd be reallllllll handy. Some sort of delay-time randomizer would be pretty nifty. One thing that'd he even cooler, though, is if you could somehow adjust the length of the delayed signal like with an arpegiator how you can set the timing and the note-length.

For instance, say you have the delay set to 600ms. You'd then have the option of it replaying the entire 600ms segment (like a regular delay), or you could shorten the delayed signal. So instead of it playing back the entire 600ms it'd play back something less than that and then silence until the next repeat. I imagine this working with one knob so at one end it's the full delay signal and at the other end it's blips.

the EHX SMMH is pretty close to what you're talking about with the filter knob and multi-tap mode

one thing that i feel is essential with delays is the option of having no trails when you turn it off. so many cool sounds when you can push it into self-oscillation and then just cut it off. i kind of prefer that sound to the whole multi-tap thing because you can just turn it off whenever you want it to stop and you're not limited to a certain length without having to tap in a tempo or tweak knobs all the time. Ibanez DML10 is insanely good for this.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Envelope controlled delay time.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:49 pm

goroth wrote:Envelope controlled delay time.

I was just going to say envelope control of feedback/repeats. Soft notes get 1 or 2 repeats, play harder for more repeats, slam the shit out of the note to get runaway oscillation.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:58 pm

YES!!!!

Listen to this man D, he knows what he's talking about!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby jrmy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:42 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:

I was just going to say envelope control of feedback/repeats. Soft notes get 1 or 2 repeats, play harder for more repeats, slam the shit out of the note to get runaway oscillation.

This sounds like an AWESOME idea, especially if you have control in terms of fine-tuning when the envelope clamps back down on the oscillation. It would be amazing to have a pedal that can get that crazy, but that you don't need to bend down to fiddle with knobs live to get it back under control if you don't want.
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D-Rainger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:07 am

This is great stuff guys!
It's a delay pedal you control through your playing!

This could be... a thing
:hug:

I'm interested in a bunch of these other thoughts too...
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:20 am

jrmy wrote:
bigchiefbc wrote:

This sounds like an AWESOME idea, especially if you have control in terms of fine-tuning when the envelope clamps back down on the oscillation. It would be amazing to have a pedal that can get that crazy, but that you don't need to bend down to fiddle with knobs live to get it back under control if you don't want.

the ear ad4096 has an infinite loop switch what keeps the repeats going into oscillation under your playing...without raising in volume as tends to happen during oscillation...and you can play over that and it easily transitions to your next note. but of interest...there is an oscillation momentary stomp. you just put the foot down and it goes right into self oscillation. let off and it gracefully falls back to the current delay setting. cool pedal. dual voiced. aux out
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D-Rainger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Bloody hell that pedal looks unbelievable!!!!

What I'm thinking of is simpler... A digital delay where the feedback amount is decided by initial note attack volume, and stays at that level till there's a tiny space in playing. Then the next note - maybe a quiet one? - decides the next amount of feedback. So it would respond to your playing - according to intensity (ie volume).

A switch to make loud/intense mean lots of feedback, or less feedback (in which case quiet notes would have lots of feedback). So quiet notes would seem really close, and loud ones further away!
(Or vice-versa)

Don't tell me, EHX Super Memory Man-zari Deluxe Boy?

Also, I've got an SIB delay that has a 'slam' switch which is momentary, and swoops the echo up to fastest speed and max feedback, then you release it and it drops back down (with all kinds of nice note bendy dub-ness)...
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:15 am

D-Rainger wrote:A switch to make loud/intense mean lots of feedback, or less feedback (in which case quiet notes would have lots of feedback). So quiet notes would seem really close, and loud ones further away!(Or vice-versa)

Thats coool :joy: is it possible to have...lets say you are fingerpicking, and you hit the low E really hard, and THAT note gets its "own" delay where you could control the delay/feedback/vol....while the other notes your'e playing get normal delay settings. Or you could strike a chord and it's delay is independently set, while you continue to play with normal delay underneath until you strike another hard transient. and you can set the trigger amount, like with an envelope filter.

you might already be familiar, and its left field. but this one has a LOT of cool ideas in it.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Rainger FX