Any delay pedal ideas?

Moderator: D-Rainger

Any delay pedal ideas?

Postby D-Rainger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:28 pm

I'm thinking about making one.
Currently for me, digital is in the lead - as it's possible to do more strange stuff...

I'm interested in a facility where the repeats (one, two, or three - maximum) are all the same volume - like 'copies'. Or it can be switched to more standard echo (with lots more repeats fading away).

Also I'm interested in 'hold' functions where it'll repeat that one section forever - without adding to it, and maybe have a switch to half the repeat time.

And tap tempo.

Anyone got any ideas?
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Re: Any delay pedal ideas?

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 pm

D-Rainger wrote:Also I'm interested in 'hold' functions where it'll repeat that one section forever - without adding to it, and maybe have a switch to half the repeat time.

that's coool.

and then have more than one delay built into the box. say....four.
and each can be on/off, each has independent controls for volume/feedback/delay/ whatever.
each can be ran in series or parallel independently and in any combination...say 1 and 3 in series while 2 and 4 are parallel.
feedback loop that can be set to any of the delays independently or all together
and each delay has a special feature, like one has the hold function, another has modulation contol, etc. which would explain why you would want to run some in series or parallel.
reverb section

that would be cool.

edit: and cv
edited: that's f/x loop not feeback loop...although a feedback loop is always cool too.
Last edited by Uncle Grandfather on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby yallerhon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:27 pm

I really like the non-degrading repeats idea. Maybe some way of ramping the tempo of them too? Like a knob where at 12:00 they're perfectly-spaced, at 9:00, the gaps between them get longer, at 3:00 they get shorter.. etc.

Also, please please put an effects loop in it. :)
Good deals with: PumpkinPieces, maz91379, allicio, nelsinian, tomlane95, casperh7, insubordination, bronzetalon
yallerhon

experienced
experienced

Postby D-Rainger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:40 pm

yallerhon wrote:

How do you mean?
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:04 pm

D-Rainger wrote:
yallerhon wrote:

How do you mean?

i think he means an extra set of input/output that you can use to hook up..say..a fuzz pedal. now with the fuzz in the f/x loop the clean signal is still clean but the delays are affected by the fuzz pedal in the loop.

is that what you're asking about? its really cool feature on delays cause you can put whatever you want in the f/x loop to affect the delays.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D-Rainger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Yeah, that sounds good! Useful, easy to do, makes it more flexible.

Meanwhile I got to have a proper read of Uncle G's comments...
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Doctor X » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:57 pm

stereo, with delays (and dry) assignable at place in stereo field, alternating ping-pong, panning, or random

glitchy, crushed, hi-pass, lo-pass filter options on the repeats
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby oldangelmidnight » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:19 pm

I've always wanted a delay where the time between repeats is randomized. Imagine a multi-head delay where the playback heads are randomly turned on and off...

The EHX Stereo Memory Man Hazarai can do repeats that don't fade out.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:50 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:I've always wanted a delay where the time between repeats is randomized

you should check out the skychord cloudbuster. it has a 4stage step sequencer :joy: among other crazy awesome shit.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
oldangelmidnight wrote:I've always wanted a delay where the time between repeats is randomized

you should check out the skychord cloudbuster. it has a 4stage step sequencer :joy: among other crazy awesome shit.

That does look awesomely crazy but I don't actually want the delay time modulated and the pitch effects that creates. Just randomized delay playback.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:17 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:
Uncle Grandfather wrote:

That does look awesomely crazy but I don't actually want the delay time modulated and the pitch effects that creates. Just randomized delay playback.

yeah, its not random, but..jumpy. and its a really deep pedal, there's alot of features to it. regardless, that's a really cool idea, kinda like a zvex ooh wah II set to random...although its not Actually random, there are a set number of sequences that it be-bops around. I guess it would have to be tap tempo too.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 am

I've yet to see a delay with a tone knob. :idk: Seems like it'd be reallllllll handy. Some sort of delay-time randomizer would be pretty nifty. One thing that'd he even cooler, though, is if you could somehow adjust the length of the delayed signal like with an arpegiator how you can set the timing and the note-length.

For instance, say you have the delay set to 600ms. You'd then have the option of it replaying the entire 600ms segment (like a regular delay), or you could shorten the delayed signal. So instead of it playing back the entire 600ms it'd play back something less than that and then silence until the next repeat. I imagine this working with one knob so at one end it's the full delay signal and at the other end it's blips.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:57 am

wfs1234 wrote:I've yet to see a delay with a tone knob. :idk: Seems like it'd be reallllllll handy. Some sort of delay-time randomizer would be pretty nifty. One thing that'd he even cooler, though, is if you could somehow adjust the length of the delayed signal like with an arpegiator how you can set the timing and the note-length.

For instance, say you have the delay set to 600ms. You'd then have the option of it replaying the entire 600ms segment (like a regular delay), or you could shorten the delayed signal. So instead of it playing back the entire 600ms it'd play back something less than that and then silence until the next repeat. I imagine this working with one knob so at one end it's the full delay signal and at the other end it's blips.

the EHX SMMH is pretty close to what you're talking about with the filter knob and multi-tap mode

one thing that i feel is essential with delays is the option of having no trails when you turn it off. so many cool sounds when you can push it into self-oscillation and then just cut it off. i kind of prefer that sound to the whole multi-tap thing because you can just turn it off whenever you want it to stop and you're not limited to a certain length without having to tap in a tempo or tweak knobs all the time. Ibanez DML10 is insanely good for this.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Envelope controlled delay time.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:49 pm

goroth wrote:Envelope controlled delay time.

I was just going to say envelope control of feedback/repeats. Soft notes get 1 or 2 repeats, play harder for more repeats, slam the shit out of the note to get runaway oscillation.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Rainger FX