'The most extreme fuzz?'

Moderator: D-Rainger

'The most extreme fuzz?'

Postby D-Rainger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:32 am

That's what this review in Best Guitar Effects says...http://www.bestguitareffects.com/rainger-fx-dr-freakenstein-fuzz-drff-3-and-igor-review-most-extreme-fuzz/
And here's the videoclip

Maybe it is, but the biggest intensity factor is what you actually play through a pedal.
.... But having a DrFF-3 - set to 'Hi' intensity with the modulation rate set to medium slow - is a good starting point! :animal: :!!!:
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Re: 'The most extreme fuzz?'

Postby Tristan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:03 am

Cool!
This video really makes clear what the pedal can do and it seems to be much more versatile than I thought at first.
Have you ever thought about releasing a version of the Dr Freakenstein in a much smaller standard enclosure without all the stuff like the knife switch, flashing light and the battery compartment?
I agree that it looks cool but personally I don't care so much about looking cool when it's at the cost of pedalboard real estate.
A pedal like this probably wouldn't end up on my pedalboard because it's simply too big for what it does, that's why I've never really taken it into consideration, which is a shame because it actually seems to be really cool.
Not to criticise, it's just a personal observation / point of view, your stuff really does seem to be great and inspiring to me (I'm actually getting even more into the Air Traffic Controller looking at video's and listening to soundclips again, haha). :)
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D-Rainger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks Tristan!
Yes I know what you mean about real estate... The Son Of Freakenstein (http://www.raingerfx.com/son-of-freak.html) is the closest to what you're saying, does all the main stuff - with extra control from an expression pedal.

When I talk about getting rid of the knifeswitch, everyone says "NNNOOOOO.... DON'T DO THAT!!!!"
But maybe I should make the tiniest version I can - like you say, no battery, no nuttin', just Igor socket as extra ('Freakenstini'? What d'ya think??). Anyway, next up is the Dr Freakenstein Bass, which I'll be making this week!

Yeah the Air Traffic Controller gets steady use from me - seems the most flexible (though not as extreme as the DrFF). It's shoegazy, techno-rock, 70s Moog funk, electro-percussion... whatever I'm into that day. Then late at night I make turn the lights down and gaze at the LEDs while making submarine pings!

BTW new prices on the website.
(I'm not pushing too hard am I?)
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Lal super oscillo fuzz 88 can get some seriously extreme fuzzed out sounds. pretty versatile.

Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D-Rainger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Of course - LastGasp!!!! They're FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! :yay: :animal: :mad: :love: :!!!:
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Tristan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks, yeah, I do understand both sides man, that knife switch sure is the bees knees, what I said was only just one view on the matter offcourse. ;)
I think if I'd go for a Rainger fuzz it'd be the Full Freakenstein, I'd miss the LFO + LFO expression and volume control on the Son Of Freakenstein too much.
Mentioning those prices, am I cross-eyed or did you just drop them considerably?
Lastgasp, meh, I tried quite a few of their fuzz pedals but I was quite underwhelmed with it all really, they definitely weren't as crazy and heavy sounding as I expected them to be, besides that they're very very pricey (not worth it in my opinion), but yeah fuck that, lets talk about Rainger FX and Freakensteins and Igors here, they're much cooler anyway! :p :rock:
That Freakenstein Bass sounds interesting too, especially for our lower registered friends (and maybe also for droptuned / baritone guitars?). :)
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D-Rainger » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks!
I've not actually tried a LastGasp pedal - it's just long-held GAS (sounds uncomfortable) from coming across them - and soundclips - from long ago...

Yes, them RFX prices is correct!
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Haki » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:31 am

D-Rainger wrote:Anyway, next up is the Dr Freakenstein Bass, which I'll be making this week!

:!!!:

Can't wait for a demo!
Haki

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby excane » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:44 pm

Haki wrote:
D-Rainger wrote:Anyway, next up is the Dr Freakenstein Bass, which I'll be making this week!

:!!!:

Can't wait for a demo!

:hello: :joy: :omg: :!!!:
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby amnesiac305 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:46 am

I have always been intrigued by the DrFF-3. I wasnt aware that it is based on the crash sync. I built one of those a long time ago though I dont really remember how it sounded. Anyways, I guess its about time to check out some RaingerFX.
Excellent Transactions: monkeydancer, dorfmeister, Rygot, bronzetalon, PumpkinPieces, Wes Mantooth, Deltaphoenix, Blooghost, Fuzz_Pi, Neanderthal Head, lordgalvar
amnesiac305

experienced
experienced

Postby D-Rainger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:10 pm

The Crash Sync was - I think - in turn based on the front end of an MXR Blue Box, which concentrated more on the octave down aspects. The Crash Sync was an early circuit I built, and I loved it! Got me all inspired...

The bass version is proving tricky! That distortion circuit is so powerful (LOUDD) it gets onto everything, which you hear when mixing it with a 'clean' signal.
It's not an issue with the regular DrFF-3 as it doesn't have a 'mix' pot.

MXR... They always seem to be passed over by everyone (including me). But they've been there all along! The phaser, compressor...
I always get a slightly bored feeling whenever I see them though.
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:35 pm

I hear you on mxr.

While we're not talking about the atc, where do you put it in your chain D? I'm on one of those Wayne's World "it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine" benders with this pedal. Just gotta stop sabotaging my economy.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby D-Rainger » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:31 am

The ATC I put early on (so it gets a clear signal for optimum filter operation), before echos, modulation, any side-chaining effects I'm using. Recently, just the ATC into the minor Concussion has been doing it for me.... ssSHHUB! ssSHUB! ssSHUB!

Last night, I saw a guy using the ATC after a tremelo unit - it was amazing! It often happens when you see other people doing their thing with pedals; I think 'oh - no, you're doing that wro... WOWW! THAT'S FANTASTIC!!!'

For me at the moment, I'm constantly about to pull the trigger on the EHX Iron Lung.
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Return to Rainger FX