GuitarPCB Mammoth Kit builders - Check it out!

Moderators: Ghost Hip, blakemoth

Re: GuitarPCB Mammoth Kit builders - Check it out!

Postby Jero » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:34 pm

You had me at that butt
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Timshelton79 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:57 pm

I wanted to show what I have accomplished with a combo of a Mammoth enclosure and a GuitarPCB MoRC board. If you are like me, a noob by all accounts of the word to effects building, then look no further. With a Mammoth/GuitarPCB kit you get everything you need to build the pedal of your choice right down to Full technical support from GuitarPCB.com. I chose to source all my parts myself. I bought the enclosure from Mammoth, it is the 1590BB Granny Smith Sparkle with the New GuitarPCB MoRC v2 Compressor. This thing was easy to solder, and the build instructions are easy to follow. If you feel that there is something missing in your guitar setup, look no further than this pedal. I am a bare bones kind of guitarist, a minimalist so to speak, usually my effects chain consist of an eq,wah, and a few dirt pedals. I use Schecter guitars with EMG 81/85 combos in my actives and Duncan Detonator/ Invaders for my passives. These are feed into my Peavey 6505+. I had always heard this muddiness in my set-up and could never figure out how to pull it out until I threw a MoRC in the Mix. Every note articulates evenly and the muddiness is gone. I Highly recommend this pedal! That is all, Enjoy!

Tim Shelton
Knoxville, TN

Timshelton79

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby CounterfeitGentleman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:31 pm

3-in-1 Boostapalooza:

L-R: GuitarPCB.com Stage 3v4, Vero board Linear Power Booster, GuitarPCB SHO 'Nuff

Black textured enclosure, all hardware, knobs etc from Mammoth

Inside:

The Vero board used a bunch of leftover components (hence the mismatched capacitors), but works just fine. It was also useful to use it as a parent board to provide power/ground to the other two boards, keeps it nice and neat.

No battery power, but it wouldn't be completely inconceivable to shuffle some parts around to fit a battery in there. I prefer to just use DC power, for environmental and cost reasons.

Each boost circuit has its own unique character, and with 2 or more on you can get some really nice (though basic) sounding overdrive.

This is maybe my 10th pedal build, using GuitarPCB boards and mostly Mammoth parts (I'll confess to using Radio Shack in a pinch, when I'm trying to finish a project against the clock). I had no real knowledge of electronics prior to starting these projects, apart from a few times poking around with passive circuits inside my guitars.
CounterfeitGentleman

interested
interested

Postby erickliban » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:45 pm

This is a pedal i built a while ago but never felt the need to post.

Its not my first pedal but it is my first guitarpcb build.

I bought the mammoth kit to keep things simple.

This was also the first time building in a 125B enclosure, but considering how small the circuit board is it was no problem.
erickliban

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby CounterfeitGentleman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:34 am

2-in-1 - MoRC (Modified Ross Compressor) and T.O.D.D. (Transparent OverDrive Deluxe)

Gold enclosure, all knobs etc from Mammoth. Innards:

Man, that was a tight fit! Fun, though!
CounterfeitGentleman

interested
interested

Postby CounterfeitGentleman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:36 am

And just for good measure, here's one I finished a while back. This is my workhorse dirt pedal:

2-in-1 Mastodon/T.O.D.D. (I love that OD circuit. Everyone should build one)

My 3rd Mastodon build, 1st T.O.D.D.

This was a build I had in mind for some time. Last time I ordered a mastodon PCB, Barry kindly tossed in a T.O.D.D. PCB as well (clearing out stock ahead of the move to fabbed boards? Not complaining!), so I decided to dig in and get down to it.

I have a 2-amp setup at home. I use a DD3 to split the signal, the direct output goes through overdrive, reverb and EA Tremolo (my first ever build) into my main amp, wet output goes through compressor, octave and fuzz into secondary amp. Which is all fine and good, but there's times when I want to lead with the fuzz and have the OD playing backup, and it's a pain switching out patches on each pedal... enter the Diaz Brothers 2-in-1! (Named after a Mountain Goats song, as are all my pedals /dork)

In the image above, the top row is the controls for the Mastodon, the second row is for the T.O.D.D., with the diode clipping switch between LEDs. The left footswitch controls the secondary input (dry/effect), the middle switch controls the primary input, and the right switch controls which effect goes through which channel.

First of all, I'm glad I decided to build it inside a tall enclosure, as there's a lot going on. Second, I know it looks scrappy in there... I decided to go with shorter/more direct cable routing than cleaner routes that involve longer routes between switches/PCBs. The upside of this is that the PCBs are snug, and with the pot condoms, quite comfortably placed.

Sound wise, it is incredible. It's replacing a ZVez Mastotron (a pedal I thought I'd never be able to live without) and a Boss SD-1. The T.O.D.D. blows the SD-1 out of the water, and the Mastodon does everything I needed from the ZVez, with extra volume. I honestly can't say enough good things about the T.O.D.D. circuit, it's just outstanding. Crisp, transparent (duh), refined and defined. I can flick between fuzzy rhythm/crisp lead with a tap of the switch; Johnny B. Goode (my go-to gear-testing song) settles in like I've been using this thing for years.

As far as lessons learned with this build, cramming 2 circuits into one box is harder than it looks. The lower (secondary) output is a little too close to the footswitch for my liking, though it fits just about OK. There's no audible interference from the power cables, though there's some crossover with signal cables. The biggest thing that bugs me is the fact that I have no way of knowing, in bypass mode, which effect is cued up for each input/output. Because I wanted the effects to be switchable between signal pathways, rather than switching pathways AND outputs between input signals, I needed to use all poles of the 4PDT. A 5PDT would have been perfect, so I could add an extra LED to indicate which signal was going into which effect. But. Life goes on...

My only other complaint is that I screwed up the drilling, so the two top left knobs are a little closer together than the rest, but I can live with that. :)
CounterfeitGentleman

interested
interested

Postby erickliban » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Heres the story behind this build. It first started as a generic dunlop fuzz face i purchased searching for that legendary fuzz tone. needless to say when i plugged it in i was just a little dissapointed. After about a year of owning it i pulled out the stock circuit and replaced it with a circuit that was closer to the original fuzzes of the late 60's. However even this circuit just wasn't quiet the sound i was looking for, not enough fuzz and way too much bass. Finally i decided to put the PuFF in to the enclosure. I had to drill holes for the led and the 9 volt adapter. All the parts are from mammoth and the circuit is from guitarPCB

erickliban

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby my7of9 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 am

All extremely awesome builds!!!

:yay:
Fresh PCB's and Projects @ www.GuitarPCB.com
Worldwide Shipping Available
my7of9

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby my7of9 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:37 am

The GuitarPCB "Muff'n" with all Mods! :eek:

Fresh PCB's and Projects @ www.GuitarPCB.com
Worldwide Shipping Available
my7of9

uncommitted
uncommitted

Next

Return to Mammoth Electronics