Buzzz or TAFM

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

Buzzz or TAFM

Postby Casavettes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:53 pm

I need a little push on this
Right now I have an unpleasant surprise and am looking to either get a TAFM or a Buzzz to a.) stack with the US and b.) something I can have on a little bit more since the unpleasant surprise is a bit of an oddball

I asked brian about this too and was about to pull the trigger on a Buzzz but am having cold feet
Is the Buzzz geared more towards abrasive/heavy sounds or can it get smoothed out a bit?
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Buzzz or TAFM

Postby backwardsvoyager » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:11 pm

nah man, it smooths out just fine. plenty of control to tailor it with 4 knobs and 4 switches too.
i'd say it's the slightly more articulate of the two so i'd probably recommend BUZZZ more for stacking so that things stay clearer. sounded good to my ears stacking with basically anything else and if you use the octave with it stacked before other dirt it becomes less apparent.
you get can it to do those full on scooped chainsaw octaves but even then it has a sort of smoothness to it that comparative pedals like the FZ-2 don't have.
if you're playing less articulate stuff like shoegaze or doom or whatever the TAFM might suit better though just cos the way it sustains would be nicer for those applications.
(this is all assuming you're on guitar not bass)
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Casavettes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:19 pm

yeh i'm on guitar and i'm playing a lot of articulate stuff
so the buzzz sounds like the right choice, i guess i was just looking too far into it and double guessed myself
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby blindrabbit » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:34 am

Now, I'm a bass player and I've not had the fortune to try a Buzzz yet (although I have tried other superfuzzes and have one on my board now), but I'm 100% sure it is awesome. I can't and won't criticize it, and it may very well be the better choice, or equally as good.

That said, the TAFM has to be the most articulate fuzz/dirt pedal I've ever tried. The note definition that thing keeps regardless of the gain level is incredible. Sometimes I don't mind things being a little blurrier, and other pedals handle that fine, but for the notes to be dirty and clear at the same time, TAFM wins every time.
blindrabbit

experienced
experienced

Postby kbit » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:25 pm

blindrabbit wrote:but for the notes to be dirty and clear at the same time, TAFM wins every time.

this is one of the reasons I didnt sell you mine haha. The buzzz is really awesome though, a lot of sweet low gain tones. Maybe a a bit more interesting decay than the TAFM?

I would look at it this way, while they are two distinct fuzzes with lots of versatility: the TAFM has the gate/max gain footswitch and a cleanish blend, while the buzzz has the mid scoop and octave. Which ever features you'd use more, go with that one. Both will serve you well.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Oh also, the TAFM is the best post verb/delay fuzz. Ever. Keep that in mind :cool:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Casavettes » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:05 am

Just caved and ordered a Buzzz :joy:
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Casavettes » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:17 am

I guess when it comes down to it I'll eventually own both
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby guitarslinger21 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:28 pm

You need both, but I currently prefer the buzzz because of its stellar lower mid gain sounds
WTB: Basic Audio Kay Fuzz
guitarslinger21

committed
committed

Return to smallsound/bigsound