TAFM thoughts and musings - opinions wanted

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

Re: TAFM thoughts and musings - opinions wanted

Postby neonblack » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Having zero experience with the TAFM, I would like to add that a lot of people decide against pedals because of size. Having limited real estate means that a smaller, top mounted pedal would find its way to my board before a larger one would. One of the reasons I went with the mini over the fuck. So the Awesome Teammate (you can have that name. Alternatively, Team Awesome Sidekick) would likely be what I personally got if you offered it. And then I'd grab a Deluxe for my experimental board. In the hypothetical future. I fully support this idea.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby univalve » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Bellyheart wrote:I liked the format of hawk. Switches for two settings which is usually the amount of setting per knobs for my preference. Two or three knobs and some three or two way switches. It also looks clean. The hawk and the Fairfield unpleasant surprise are two of the sexiest pedals I've encountered.

Do like the model of deluxe/small. Please make it happen.

This.
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dannybuoy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:22 pm

The TAFM is my favourite fuzz by far on bass. I keep buying and selling various fuzzes, but none of them can touch it! It's a v5 horizontal version, without the buffer. But here's what I'd like to see in a future version:

- I don't use the boost switch, it flips the phase and robs the low end. Maybe guitar players might like this switch but it's no good on bass. I would sooner see it gone!

- I don't use the gate personally either. Even if I did, since I usually run the gain at around 12 o'clock, there is a huge volume boost when it's engaged, so it's not the kind of thing I would footswitch in and out mid song. I would be happy for the gate to go, or for it to be a toggle instead.

- I would love to have a feedback footswitch!

- I see the new versions have a built in switchable buffer - I'd like this toggle to be on the outside.

- With a passive bass plugged in, the clean blend channel is very dark as if an LPF has been applied, as if the input impedance were too low. However, putting a buffer in front makes the clean channel sparkly clean. I LOVE the sound of the dark clean signal mixed in with the fuzz, so I would like to see a tone control for the clean channel so I can roll off the clean highs if the buffer is on or I'm running a buffer before it.

- If all this could be done as well as squeezed into a smaller box, with awesome custom artwork, I would buy one now! Seriously, if you can accomodate these requests, please get in touch.
dannybuoy

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby dannybuoy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:38 pm

I've emailed Brian with full specs and design for a custom TAFM. I really hope this can be made into reality, it would be the coolest TAFM EVER! :drool:
dannybuoy

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby neonblack » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:45 am

Is it a micro or a deluxe? or similar to your notes above? if he can do it, you should let us know. maybe he can go ahead and make a limited run. an ILF special edition?

Team I Love Fuzz Machine?
Team Awesome Love Machine?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dannybuoy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:06 am

:group:

Well, if doing a small run might increase the chances of Brian taking this on, then here's my wish list!

- No boost toggle
    - No gate switch
    - Feedback footswitch (perhaps with internal trimmer for intensity)
    - External toggle for buffer
    - Extend mid switch to 3-way for more tonal options if possible
    - Tone control for clean channel (simple passive tone will do, to roll off highs when buffer is in front)
    - Small metal knobs like these - http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SKA- ... 0-1900.htm
    - Vertically arranged like the current layout, top mounted jacks and power socket
    - Knobs running in two vertical lines down side edges to not obstruct the artwork - From top left going down - Input gain, clean tone, clean vol; and on top right - Fuzz, Shape, Fuzz Volume
    - Sauron in between the two columns of knobs with red LEDs in his evil eyes (one for each footswitch), and toggle switches where his evil nipples would be (buffer on the left, mids on the right)

Or another similar image: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Sauron-429705953

Continuing with the Sauron theme, how about 'One Fuzz To Rule Them All'?

Also open to the ideas of adding any extra controls Brian was thinking of adding to the Deluxe. But I think Bias is a set it and forget it for me at least, being a bass player, set it in the sweet spot for the most low end!
Last edited by dannybuoy on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
dannybuoy

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Tristan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:15 am

good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Achtane » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:29 am

I want to tweak Sauron's evil nipples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby futuresailors » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:38 pm

MAN THE FUCK UP AND TAFMERATRON

Meaning, you should make a super deluxe version. I mean, you don't have to put external trimpots for everything like spunx did, but all the knobs and switches and stuff are fun to play with and can get you a bunch of unique and useable sounds that you'd only otherwise get from a one-trick-pony pedal.
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:39 pm

neonblack wrote:Is it a micro or a deluxe? or similar to your notes above? if he can do it, you should let us know. maybe he can go ahead and make a limited run. an ILF special edition?

i like this idea. :snax: :excellent:
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 am

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:
neonblack wrote:Is it a micro or a deluxe? or similar to your notes above? if he can do it, you should let us know. maybe he can go ahead and make a limited run. an ILF special edition?

Do it...
You know you wanna...
I sent you an email about a Jr sized one, but I couldn't wait and bought a full sized one from the b/s/t. DW etched and everything.

I am in love.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dannybuoy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:06 am

Hope you can do it Brian! :!!!:

If there's room for 4 knobs down each side (or maybe squeeze a couple up top), then one to control the feedback amount/pitch and another one for the bias trim would be welcome additions! :thumb:
dannybuoy

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Jwar » Tue May 06, 2014 9:23 am

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:

I like it too! Ryan and Tom do it Brian. Just sayin. :)

DO IT!!!!!!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Previous

Return to smallsound/bigsound