what would you want the next ss/bs pedal to feature?

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

Re: what would you want the next ss/bs pedal to feature?

Postby Eric! » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:54 pm

Aw I wanna proto!
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Wizard » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:45 am

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:i'm going to make a fun prototype when i get home.
8 knobs, 4 switches. :poke:

i like the idea. sounds boardgame themed. or maybe physics based video game themed.
I've got a fuzzbox and i'm not afraid to use it

jrmy wrote:And unlike the rest of the country, we recognize Sarcasm as a crucial building block of spoken language. Kind of like umami in cooking.
Wizard

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby smile_man » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 am

Bitdcrushed delay is very easy to achieve with a slightly bent digidelay.
http://tsunshining.bandcamp.com/ - jamz
http://www.jamiecoxxx.tumblr.com - art jamz
zackv wrote:stop fooling around and shell out the 320$

SPACERITUAL wrote:SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRITUAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
smile_man

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Toonster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:01 am

Yep, or a bitcrusher in the effectsloop of a delay that has one... For people who don't like to do some bending^^
Toonster

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby smile_man » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:38 pm

Toonster wrote:Yep, or a bitcrusher in the effectsloop of a delay that has one... For people who don't like to do some bending^^

pussy.
http://tsunshining.bandcamp.com/ - jamz
http://www.jamiecoxxx.tumblr.com - art jamz
zackv wrote:stop fooling around and shell out the 320$

SPACERITUAL wrote:SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRITUAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
smile_man

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Toonster » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:26 pm

smile_man wrote:
Toonster wrote:Yep, or a bitcrusher in the effectsloop of a delay that has one... For people who don't like to do some bending^^

pussy.

I am even more pussy then that.. I don't have a delay :cry:
Toonster

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:21 pm

TS: how about an envelope follower modulating a VCA so I can put a self oscilating fuzz in a send/return loop and have it gated. how about a bit/samplerate effect where the samplerate tracks the notes coming it. listen to the heliotrope it sounds good on a few notes then you have to re-adjust for the sweetspot. or an expression pedal input for bit/samplerate. I have a million ideas for pedals.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:44 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:TS: how about an envelope follower modulating a VCA so I can put a self oscilating fuzz in a send/return loop and have it gated. how about a bit/samplerate effect where the samplerate tracks the notes coming it. listen to the heliotrope it sounds good on a few notes then you have to re-adjust for the sweetspot. or an expression pedal input for bit/samplerate. I have a million ideas for pedals.

fuck dude. keep em coming
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:49 am

I've been keeping this one to myself but since your so enthusiastic I'll share my secrets. its called an "Amplitude Compensator". its a pedal that solves a problem. everyone has their favorite distortion effect but they all do one thing to the sound that can be undesirable, they clip your headroom at a fixed point, leaving you with NO dynamics or feeling in your playing. its hard compression. in some pedals this creates the high gain sound.

The solution is to put the distortion that you already have in the send/return loop of the amplitude compensator. the ampltude compensator creates two envelope follower signals. one from the input/send, the other is from the return signal. the input and the send are essentially the same signal. the compensator then looks at the two signals and creates a control voltage to "make up" the difference. the result, your distortion pedals breath with all the volume changes of your playing. you get the same dynamics you get on clean just with a dirty sound. as far as I know, its never been done. but it should have been done a long time ago. I can buy a compressor pedal but whats the opposite of a compressor? I dont mean gates/expanders either. Amplitude compensator, do it. I was gonna shop that idea around at namm but I'm tired of waiting and greed getting in the way of progress.

P.S. the amplitude compensator and the fuzz gate are two different pedals. they do not work the same BUT you can put them both in the same box and have a switch. the circuits are very similar. the follower on the input can be used for both, as well as the output VCA. the gate is a lot simpler than the compensator. since they both have the same number in/outs knobs. for knobs, you can do it with NO KNOBS but you may have to add a balance knob so the two envelope followers have unison amplitude before the clipping point of the pedal in the loop. volume knob optional. fuzz gate might want a threshold control for the input control voltage to bring the noise floor down to absolute zero. and make the send output impedance 10k so it emulates the average guitar pickup going into a fuzz.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:39 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:I've been keeping this one to myself but since your so enthusiastic I'll share my secrets. its called an "Amplitude Compensator". its a pedal that solves a problem. everyone has their favorite distortion effect but they all do one thing to the sound that can be undesirable, they clip your headroom at a fixed point, leaving you with NO dynamics or feeling in your playing. its hard compression. in some pedals this creates the high gain sound.

The solution is to put the distortion that you already have in the send/return loop of the amplitude compensator. the ampltude compensator creates two envelope follower signals. one from the input/send, the other is from the return signal. the input and the send are essentially the same signal. the compensator then looks at the two signals and creates a control voltage to "make up" the difference. the result, your distortion pedals breath with all the volume changes of your playing. you get the same dynamics you get on clean just with a dirty sound. as far as I know, its never been done. but it should have been done a long time ago. I can buy a compressor pedal but whats the opposite of a compressor? I dont mean gates/expanders either. Amplitude compensator, do it. I was gonna shop that idea around at namm but I'm tired of waiting and greed getting in the way of progress.

P.S. the amplitude compensator and the fuzz gate are two different pedals. they do not work the same BUT you can put them both in the same box and have a switch. the circuits are very similar. the follower on the input can be used for both, as well as the output VCA. the gate is a lot simpler than the compensator. since they both have the same number in/outs knobs. for knobs, you can do it with NO KNOBS but you may have to add a balance knob so the two envelope followers have unison amplitude before the clipping point of the pedal in the loop. volume knob optional. fuzz gate might want a threshold control for the input control voltage to bring the noise floor down to absolute zero. and make the send output impedance 10k so it emulates the average guitar pickup going into a fuzz.

interesting. so the amplitude of your playing would basically modulate the output level?
in this block digram the signal is split after the buffer and is sent to a send (fuzz) and the envelope follower. the return goes to a VCA which is modulated by the follower. that goes through an output buffer before the signal goes on it's merry way... (my diagram looks weird, but if you read this it's simple to follow)

.........................-- fuzz --------- vca -- buffer -- OUT
IN -- buffer --I..................................^
.........................-- env follow ------I

although it is nice to have fuzzes and distortions which do take over your dynamics, this would be pretty neat!
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eric! » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:18 pm

THAT SOUNDS AWESOME :drool:
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:43 am

I'm totally psyched that you might be building it so +1000. the fuzz gate and the amplitude compensator are two different effects. although they have some similar parts of the circuit so it would make sense that putting them in the same box should be relatively cheap. here is a flow chart of the Fuzz gate. this can also be used with a reverb or delay pedal in the loop set to max reverb. then you get that 80's gated reverb.

I'll post a flow chart for the amplitude compensator when I get around to it.

EDIT: [wak flow chart removed]
Last edited by eatyourguitar on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:04 am

ok here is the real flow chart that other one was rushed before my morning coffee
Attachments
fuzzgatefixed.gif
fuzzgatefixed.gif (12.97 KiB) Viewed 19384 times
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:05 am

here it is, Amplitude Compensator
Attachments
amplitudecompensator2.gif
this version has a mixer to blend the clean, dirty, processed signals as well as a master volume on the output.
amplitudecompensator.gif
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby counterdestroy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:56 pm

ifeellikeatourist wrote:modulation? And on a dirt pedal, a knob to adjust the amount of gate is, I think, in big demand around here.

adjustable gate would be fun times.

maz91379 wrote:Boobs.

And dinosaurs.

And reverb.

The Smallsound/Bigsound Dino Tit feat. Reverb! thats the stuff of legends
theavondon wrote:On the same note, I only do post-gay. It's based on elements of homosexuality, but with different structures and dynamics. Oh, and lots of reverb.
counterdestroy

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to smallsound/bigsound