Anyone know the difference between the Humming bird V2 vs V3

Moderator: earthdevice

Anyone know the difference between the Humming bird V2 vs V3

Postby AstralFeedbackM » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:45 pm

I want to buy the humming bird from eqd. I found a used one from someone on the site. It's a version 2 and the video I watch was pro guitar shop demoing a v3. The only difference I can see is the expression pedal add on, and a 3rd mode switch....... Am I correct?

Has anyone owned both and can say that it's a huge difference between the two? I gotta make the deal tonight so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!!
Good deals with fungalattack, Pumpkinpieces, hatshirt, the5chord
AstralFeedbackM

involved
involved

Re: Anyone know the difference between the Humming bird V2 v

Postby goosekevin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:22 pm

-exp jack
-a middle speed mode and i think greater range?
- if you turn down the depth all the way you can use it as a clean boost
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby AstralFeedbackM » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Real question. Would you buy one for 100 that's a version 2 or just drop the 145 on a version 3? I don't care about the exp jack, or the clean boost. I just don't know if the more range is a lot more range or just a bit more.
Good deals with fungalattack, Pumpkinpieces, hatshirt, the5chord
AstralFeedbackM

involved
involved

Postby goosekevin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:40 am

I haven't played either but if you don't care about the boost or exp I'd just go v2
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:27 am

I have a V2 and it's great. Easily one of my favourite trem sounds, both on traditional fast repeat percussion type stuff but also slower, lower depth nice stuff.

You can't totally dial out the trem, so you can't really use it as a clean boost. Not sure if this has been addressed in V3.
It colours your signal somewhat, so it can't really be called a clean boost either. Again, not sure if this has been addressed in V3.
Speed range is enormous on the V2. The three way toggle for speed would be super cool but not strictly necessary.
Expression control is fun and should be included on all pedals! But with the switch and the large dials it's easy to change speeds on the V2, and even change with your foot. If you are doing extensive "speed swells" then the V3 would be killer, but if it's just about changing values in a more static way then the V2 is easy to get along with.
Top mount vs side mount jacks might be a thing for you.

I don't use the V2 as a clean boost, so I don't see the fact that it colours your signal as a negative, in fact it's awesome because it sounds great. If you are playing mostly clean you won't notice the colouration too much, but post fuzz you will.

My only criticism is that the power supply filtering is pretty minimal and it can be sensitive even for well filtered power supplies. If you daisy chain a lot then that might be a problem, but it might not. If they've addressed that in the V3 I'd hit it.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Return to EarthQuaker Devices