Hoof vs. Cloven Hoof - need help deciding

Moderator: earthdevice

Hoof vs. Cloven Hoof - need help deciding

Postby Fuzzfizz » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:19 pm

I love the way both sound in the demos. Really haven't seen that much buzz on the interwebs about the Cloven Hoof - a little here, a little there. Wondering who likes which better and why. I know I want one or the other.

I currently have a PTD bone machine, an Elements and a 10yr old RAT (Oh yes, and a 10 or 12 yr old green Big Muff Pi, which I never liked) as my fuzz collection (not including OD's). I have a Fuzzy Lady incoming, and I am looking at a few others, but this would be my first good Muff-based fuzz. The demos of all the booteek muffs just kill any tones I have heard on my shitty green one. Also looking at a Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder, but I'm a big fan of EQD.
Fuzzfizz

interested
interested

Re: Hoof vs. Cloven Hoof - need help deciding

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:38 pm

The EHX green muff or the Sovtek green muff?
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Fuzzfizz » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:31 am

It's the Sovtek. I haven't taken it out of the closet in a helluva long time. It doesn't have a power jack, so you need to use one of those adaptors with the 9v battery attachment, or just a battery. Maybe I'll like it better now that I am into fuzzes more. It was just real bassy as I recall.
Fuzzfizz

interested
interested

Postby benjuro » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:07 am

If you've never liked your green Sovtek I'm not sure a Hoof is what you're after...
I've had both models (as well as a number of Sovtek muffs) and much prefer the standard Hoofs; the two Hoofs I've kept are early 3- and 4-knob versions with 'better' transistors than what's being used currently. The Cloven ultimately sounded a little too compressed and smooth to me, where the standard germanium version is capable of better snarl and raw bite. It depends what you are after.
I got some excellent tones out of the Cloven as well, but the Ge version offers tones you don't get from the millions of muff clones that use silicon...the Cloven will probably sound closer to your Sovtek than the standard Hoof.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Fuzzfizz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:37 pm

Ended up picking up a basic audio tri/ram, which I like much better then my green Sovtek (which I found out is a bubble font, after doing some research on the kit rae page). I also tried a EHX nano, which I like better then my sovtek, but not nearly as much as the tri/ram. I went for the tri/ram because it is supposedly somewhat of a traditional muff sound, and would let me hear both the triangle and ram's head sounds, but I have since learned there is no real difference between the two, because there is such wild variation within each version, tri and ram, and there is considerable overlap between the two. In any event it sounds great (on both settings) and got me hip to the fact that I can love a big muff sound. So the hoof may be the next one, and I will probably go for the regular ge variant, since I have the silicon covered. I am also looking at a buffalo FX patriot, which has a real cool sound, smooth and creamy like my sovtek, but I think less fizzy (which is what I don't dig about the sovtek).
Fuzzfizz

interested
interested

Return to EarthQuaker Devices