So.... Tap Tempo

Moderator: earthdevice

So.... Tap Tempo

Postby Bassist_Diver » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:07 pm

I less than three the sounds EQD delays give me. I mean, holy shit I love it.

HOWEVER

I am primarily a jazz player and as such I need a delay that has tap tempo (I've tried without, it just doesn't sound right). And it was because of that reason I had to part with my Disaster Transport. If it had TT it wouldn't be going anywhere.

So ultimately, what I'm asking is, are there any plans for a delay with tap tempo? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be all over this like white on rice.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: So.... Tap Tempo

Postby Thylacine Dream » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:23 am

Bumpityump
EJ
Bassed in Los Angeles
@punkcrushband @painbehavior @queeraspunk @puzzytuesday
Good deals: Tom Dalton, lawrence scaduto, Ryan, Dan DubblEwe, multi_s, MaxMaps, ianmarks, cantremember
Thylacine Dream

committed
committed

Postby earthdevice » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:05 am

I'm on the fence with tap tempo which is a change from my previous stance of "I'll never do it". Pretty much all of the delays we make have an old time vibe that I wanted to keep free of TT. In addition to that, TT is something we just don't have the capacity to develop in house and would have to outsource. I also just don't use it or ever even feel the need to. I never needed it before and I doubt I ever will with the way that I use delay. However, I do realize that I am in the minority with that line of thinking. We actually had a plan in place to make a TT dispatch master but it proved fruitless, not a single person could get it to cooperate so I trashed the idea before we spent too much more on it. I have been toying with the idea of making an actual analog delay since all our delays have been digital, maybe that would be a good candidate for TT. The only downside is that it will probably cost a small fortune at retail. I'm not sure if I'll actually get around to it any time soon though, there are about 10 projects in development at the moment.
Dream Maker
earthdevice

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:22 am

That's understandable though. Having tap tempo and modulation together in my experience (like on the DT) is harder to execute than just connecting a tap tempo switch up to a pin of the delay chip, it gets all screwy with the modulation sometimes depending on how the circuit is put together, and I guess the question would come up 'is it worth it to really fudge around this layout and pretty much reengineer it to work with tap?'
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby earthdevice » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:37 am

skullservant wrote:That's understandable though. Having tap tempo and modulation together in my experience (like on the DT) is harder to execute than just connecting a tap tempo switch up to a pin of the delay chip, it gets all screwy with the modulation sometimes depending on how the circuit is put together, and I guess the question would come up 'is it worth it to really fudge around this layout and pretty much reengineer it to work with tap?'

The hard part is really the code for the processor, how it outputs the control voltage and how the processor in the Dispatch Master accepts that control voltage. Modulation is easy and just needs to be implemented in another way. It would be cool if TT was as simple as hooking up a switch to the delay pot but you need a lot of extra thinking/coding/processing power to get to that point. I guess I should clarify that we did get the DM to work but I didn't like the sound. The Disaster Transport would be a much easier pedal to add TT to but I don't see the point with a delay time below 1sec.
Dream Maker
earthdevice

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:54 am

Yeah, completely understandable. Seems like a lot of reengineering for something that has already done so well. And I definitely agree with you in terms of tap tempo below 1 second. Gotta get those long taps!! haha

I've not ever really gotten along with tap tempo myself as well, but that's just me. There's just something about that seems a little more mechanical than organic with tap tempo in terms of the repeats and how they fall. But I DO love tapping out the slowest speed possible for extended delay time, THAT is neat.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bassist_Diver » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:49 am

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying!
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rhargis14 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm

earthdevice wrote:there are about 10 projects in development at the moment.

:!!!:
Courtney killed Kurt.
rhargis14

involved
involved

Postby chrisjnyc » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Any word on the EQD tap tempo pedal?
chrisjnyc

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby t-rey » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:44 pm

1. Tap tempo is for the weak. (not really, I just don't use it and I'm trying to sound cool)

2. IS THAT EQD ANALOG DELAY STILL A POSSIBILITY? Fuck bells and whistles, I will stand in line to buy a simple, tasty analog delay from you guys.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby skullservant » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:46 pm

:snax:
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby benjuro » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:55 pm

rhargis14 wrote:
earthdevice wrote:there are about 10 projects in development at the moment.

:!!!:
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:35 pm

i :love: tap tempo. for delay & modulation. control freak! :!!!:
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to EarthQuaker Devices