Wheststone Questions

Moderator: blackout_kyle

Wheststone Questions

Postby Butch1970 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:59 am

Hoping to get some feedback from Whetstone users. I'm currently playing around with a V2 unit.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences oscillation/noise in Ring Mode or Fix'd Mode when adjusting the rate knob towards the more extreme settings?

Butch1970

committed
committed

Re: Wheststone Questions

Postby Butch1970 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 pm

I understand that the oscillation in ring mode was fairly common in the V1 units and that there was a mod for this. Just wondering if anyone out there with a V2 or modded unit can still detect a bit of oscillation? Typical?
Butch1970

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 pm

Whoops, missed this when you first posted.

I had a V1 that I send back to Kyle to have it upgraded to a V2 board.

The V2 is still noisy when changing some settings (I don't remember which offhand), but not nearly as noisy as the V1. I don't usually use the Ring or the Fix'd modes that often, usually stick to Normal/Pads. So, I'd have to check to see for sure next time I'm playing. From what Kyle told me, the noise is inherent to the circuit. You're gonna experience some at certain settings.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Butch1970 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks, Chankgeez. I appreciate the response.

I've never had a chance to check out anyone else's Whetstone so I just wanted to confirm that what I was hearing was to be expected.

In it's sweet spot, The ring setting is pretty gnarly. I havent experimented much with the fixed setting.
Butch1970

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 am

No problem, Butch1970, you're welcome.

Yeah, I still get crackle when turning knobs and noticeable switchpops at certain settings, but it's not nearly as bad as it was with V1.

There are some pretty big differences in sound between the two versions. In some ways I prefer V1. I just couldn't deal with those super loud switchpops.

The Ring mode is passable if you don't have a ring modulator, but I've got a Randy's Revenge.

Fixed mode is interesting, but I feel like I've got static filters that can get similar sounds and sound better doing it.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Butch1970 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Chankgeez,

I've been stocking up on the EQD pedals lately and thought that I would add a Grand Orbiter, until I discovered the Whetstone. As cool as the EQD phaser is, the Whetstone just seems to have MORE......

I'm starting to think that it might be worth putting up with some small anomalies if all the primary functions are happening.

I was planning on getting a Moogerfooger ring modulator at some point, but now may have to check out Randy's Revenge as well ;)

Butch
Butch1970

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Yeah, the Whetstone is really versatile and sounds great. Grand Orbiter sounds nice too. I've rarely met a phaser I didn't like. Some are just better than others.

Whetstone is definitely worth it.

I used to have a Moog ring mod and it's more flexible than the Fairfield. Randy's Revenge just has more character, even if it is a bit more limited in its features.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dramatis Persona » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:39 pm

My Whetstone V2 is noisy too, expecially with fast settings! Sometimes it make strange noises (like gilmour's seagulls\dolphins) when it's disengaged!!!
But I think it is the best sounding phaser ever made. :love:
For my experience, the oscillation\clock-noise totally desappears in the mix when I'm playing with my band :!!!:
Dramatis Persona

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Speaking of Whetstone questions, how'd I miss this?:

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Butch1970 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:40 am

These are looking pretty awesome. Would look mighty cool alongside the blue/black versions of the SMBS Mini and TAFM. Alas, I'll have to be satisfied with a multi-colored board :)
Butch1970

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:54 am

Yeah, they're awesome. I have a "normal" colored Whetstone, but I kinda wanna get one of those black & turquoise ones. Superb color combo.

I was looking at the Blackout site and Kyle'd posted that pic a while back. I'm sure they're long gone by now. Oh, well.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Blackout Effectors