· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Do-it-yourself pedal building

Forum rules

The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!
Post a reply

Blackout Effectors Twosome Modifications

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:35 pm

So Kyle over at Blackout Effectors pointed me in the right direction on how to modify a Twosome for Independent Circuits and Order Switching.... Here are some pics of what i did....

Had to drill into the gorgeous enclosure to install this switch... mentally this was a very challenging feat....

Installed the 4pdt Switch and measured up what goes where in the event i get lost or screw something up.... look at how gorgeous the worksmanship is...

All the wires are pulled and ready to reroute...

The final modification is complete, you can see the main mod wires in black, everything else was reused white wire from the original build....

I used this diagram from Beavis Audio (as per Kyle's direction):

Using a 4pdt switch (Kyle says you can do it with a 3pdt which is true, but i intend to get a multi-colored LED to attach to this thing later....) and visualizing the SEND A/RETURN A as Circuit One and SEND B/RETURN B as Circuit two, you wire the outputs and inputs from each stompswitch into the 4pdt as per the diagram....

and the end result:

Last edited by stanimal on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Blackout Effectors Twosome Modifications

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:49 pm

:omg:

:cool:

:hug:

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:03 pm

nicely done. :thumb: you should do a color changing LED with the 4th pole of the toggle. Once color is f>m and the other color is m>f.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 pm

blackout_kyle wrote:nicely done. :thumb: you should do a color changing LED with the 4th pole of the toggle. Once color is f>m and the other color is m>f.

great idea! Totally gonna do that... :thumb:

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:34 pm

excellent!

how soon before this becomes standard on the twosome?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:43 pm

goddamn, I want one just for the enclosure
and yet I'm sure it'dbe a killer effect too
want, fuck

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:54 pm

cloudscapes wrote:goddamn, I want one just for the enclosure
and yet I'm sure it'dbe a killer effect too
want, fuck

I know man! This is like one of my bucketlist pedals... :omg:

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:49 am

oinkbanana wrote:excellent!

how soon before this becomes standard on the twosome?

I don't think it will.

We like the stock Twosome as is and in my humble opinion it's a forward progression from the old "Dual Fuzz" series/reversible wiring scheme, like this one. Though in some ways they're very different pedals and each excel in different applications. For live applications I think the stock Twosome is WAY more manageable and in the studio I think the series/reversible version probably has a broader palette.

We'll probably just start offering it as a mod option at checkout when ordering directly from us.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:20 am

blackout_kyle wrote:We'll probably just start offering it as a mod option at checkout when ordering directly from us.

That sounds like a pretty good idea

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 am

UPDATE: Added a multi-colored LED to the 4pdt switch so now the rabbit eye lights either blue (fix'd first) or green (musket first)....

i actually bought a tri-color LED so that i could choose which colors i wanted, attached the negative legs of the chosen color to each of the outside legs of the 4pdt with a ground wire connected to the center lug....

the rabbit eye was actually VERY difficult to remove, those blackout guys build stuff to last..... i actually do not recommend trying to remove it yourself unless you take extreme caution not to scratch the finish or ruin your box... i attempted to tap it out with a rubber mallet and eventually found myself finding the right drill bit to actually drill the LED out from the inside being careful not to make the hole larger (it would mess up the rabbit pic on the front for sure)

but it is pretty wicked.....

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:02 am

:love:

so what do you like more? musket > fixed or fixed >musket? :poke:

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:16 am

well, i love the boost on the fix'd.... if i turn that on and push it through the musket, i like that A LOT.... even switching on fuzz 2 or 3 and manipulating the knobs gives the musket different textures... but if i wan to use the fix'd as a fuzz, then musket into fix'd is preferred because the muffiness of the musket balances with the gritty trebly fix'd.... it's bloody brilliant.... this is the end all be all fuzz distortion pedal to me....

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Jero wrote:
blackout_kyle wrote:We'll probably just start offering it as a mod option at checkout when ordering directly from us.

That sounds like a pretty good idea

I think I just decided what my next pedal purchase will be.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:26 pm

this is insane! love the two color rabbit eye led! :animal:

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:40 pm

stanimal wrote:well, i love the boost on the fix'd.... if i turn that on and push it through the musket, i like that A LOT.... even switching on fuzz 2 or 3 and manipulating the knobs gives the musket different textures... but if i wan to use the fix'd as a fuzz, then musket into fix'd is preferred because the muffiness of the musket balances with the gritty trebly fix'd.... it's bloody brilliant.... this is the end all be all fuzz distortion pedal to me....

That is exactly what I wanted to hear...all of it :thumb:
Post a reply