DIY Info Collection.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: DIY Info Collection.

Postby Scruffie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:14 pm

I do need to put a warning up against the Dangers of DIY and its addictiveness on the front of this thread :p

Also about thinking starting a business... I think every DIYer at some point gets asked by someone that knows there hobby "why don't you build them for money!" and it may seem like a good idea, but it's a massive investment, I wouldn't do it full time, hats off to the Fuzz Hugger folks that do.

Also I'll add a Kit Section & Advice on first builds gradually... Kits can be a great confidence booster and they're easy to do (i'd suggest a GGG or BYOC over a Devi for a first time build as i've already had a few PMs on getting the Devis together, they're not a comprehensive build made easy for first timers)

Laowiz explained starting well though, forums are there to help eachother, breadboards are better for learning over just building and it's not just a once and your done thing... you'll be DIYing for a while yet, it's not as it may seem cheaper than just buying a pedal.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby McSpunckle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:56 pm

I just tried a big assed sheet metal shear to cut out perfboards. Best. Thing. Ever. You can actually cut close enough to get BETWEEN the holes.

Once I have some cash, I may pick up a bench top shear. :yay:
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby culturejam » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:00 pm

McSpunckle wrote:I just tried a big assed sheet metal shear to cut out perfboards. Best. Thing. Ever. You can actually cut close enough to get BETWEEN the holes.

Interesting!!

On another note, I recently tried out a trick I picked up on AMZ regarding eliminating RF interference and some other noise in high-gain circuits:
http://www.muzique.com/lab/hum.htm

That being using ferrite and shielded wire between the input jack and the stomp switch. I opted for a snap-on ferrite core because it stays put and is easy to work with. You can see the big-ass shielded wire and snap-on core at the left of this photo of a Muff clone below. It reduced some of the noise in the circuit. You may want to try this out if you have a high-gainer with lots of hiss or radio station pickup.

Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby nbabmf » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Sheet metal shear, eh? :idea:

I love the smell of solder in the morning.

Successful dealings with: blooghost, starcastic, bronzetalon, theavondon, absent, jero, sevenSHARPnine, magiclawnchair, oldangelmidnight, and others that I can't remember lol
nbabmf

experienced
experienced

Postby culturejam » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:43 pm

nbabmf wrote:Sheet metal shear, eh? :idea:

I'm not really sure, honestly. A guy on DIYSB made some EHX style enclosures, and I bought a few. I've been thinking about getting a cheap metal brake to experiment with in that regard.

Here's the box from the outside:

culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby nbabmf » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:49 pm

I meant for cutting boards. I had a sheet metal enclosure made once, and it was a bit to drill because it was thick enough to be sturdy. It's a double edged sword.

I love the smell of solder in the morning.

Successful dealings with: blooghost, starcastic, bronzetalon, theavondon, absent, jero, sevenSHARPnine, magiclawnchair, oldangelmidnight, and others that I can't remember lol
nbabmf

experienced
experienced

Postby McSpunckle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:22 pm

culturejam wrote:On another note, I recently tried out a trick I picked up on AMZ regarding eliminating RF interference and some other noise in high-gain circuits:
http://www.muzique.com/lab/hum.htm

That being using ferrite and shielded wire between the input jack and the stomp switch. I opted for a snap-on ferrite core because it stays put and is easy to work with. You can see the big-ass shielded wire and snap-on core at the left of this photo of a Muff clone below. It reduced some of the noise in the circuit. You may want to try this out if you have a high-gainer with lots of hiss or radio station pickup.

I've been meaning to try the ferrite beads. I was having a pretty bad problem with hiss and radio signals on my pedals, and used a 100 ohm resistor in series with the input, and a grounded 68pf cap in parallel. That took care of the radio noise. It still hissed when bypassed, so I started using some wire I had left over from making instrument cables for shielded cables.

Lately, though, I've been using Canare L-2B2AT. It's 20 cents a foot at Markertek. it has a foil shield, which works fine in stompboxes (at least it does in mine), and the drain wire really cuts down on the time it takes to prepare the wire. It's got two conductors, so you can use it for both the in and out jacks if they're close together (though, I wouldn't if the pedal is very high gain just to avoid cross-talk issues). Plus, it's really thin.

... also, I've never realised what those things clamped to all these wires were! Is that what's been on my laptop cord all this time?!
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby culturejam » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:31 pm

McSpunckle wrote:Is that what's been on my laptop cord all this time?!

Yep. I recently snagged one off a spare USB cable. Some of them are attached permanently, and some have snaps.
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby McSpunckle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 am

A huge, comfy chair to build pedals in seems awesome at first, but you quickly realize how awful it is. It's too big. It gets hot. Stuff gets lost in the sides.

I'm headed to the office store to get a regular fucking desk chair.

Remember this, kids.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:08 pm

McSpunckle wrote:A huge, comfy chair to build pedals in seems awesome at first, but you quickly realize how awful it is. It's too big. It gets hot. Stuff gets lost in the sides.
I'm headed to the office store to get a regular fucking desk chair.
Remember this, kids.

I suggest something like this
Attachments
S6300013.JPG
S6300013.JPG (71.58 KiB) Viewed 24315 times
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby McSpunckle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 pm

I found a leatherette office chair lying around. It'll do. Pretty comfy, no arms (which I consider a plus), and it spins, for when I wanna be dizzy.

YEAH!
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 pm

culturejam wrote:
nbabmf wrote:Sheet metal shear, eh? :idea:

I'm not really sure, honestly. A guy on DIYSB made some EHX style enclosures, and I bought a few. I've been thinking about getting a cheap metal brake to experiment with in that regard.

Here's the box from the outside:

I was looking into metal brakes and welding equipment to make my own enclosures, as well. I think it would be awesome to make your own customized enclosures but not quite ready to get into that learning curve. I tend to make my pedals in bigger enclosures and really love the style of the vintage
boxes made back in the day. Building your own enclosures is something I haven't seen much at all on the pedal forums...
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby eatyourguitar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:08 pm

its called a box pan brake. they come with die's to get the leading edge the size you want so it matches the piece your bending but tool still fits down inside the box. ^this one is a lot simpler and can be done on ANY sheetmetal brake as long as the machine is rated for the gauge of steel your working.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby unownunown » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:55 am

i found this for noobz like myself, it explains the how and why of wiring with helpful 3-d diagrams! hopefully it will be helpful to someone else, too.

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/though ... p-a-1590b/
mathias wrote:I heard that Tom Dalton read a book on how to grow online communities around your business. But he thought it was too much work so he just created a forum full of alts. You and I are the only real people.
unownunown

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby McSpunckle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:14 pm

Wear rubber gloves when refilling liquid flux bottles. (which you should own)
I bottle of Isopropyl alcohol is a great thing to have when you get some flux on your tools. Or a real flux remover. I'm finding IPA works fine and it can be used for a bunch of other things.
For your hands, Purell is great. Have a bottle on your desk. It's mostly IPA anyways.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects