DS-1 Bass Mod

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

DS-1 Bass Mod

Postby TweedBassman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:23 pm

All caps Panasonic 'red' metal film except where noted. The only source I could find for the Panasonic 1.0 uF caps was Digikey, but small bear might have them now not sure. Be careful de-soldering the old caps, Boss PCB quality is ehhh... not what it used to be.

C1 - .1uF
C2 - 1.0 uF non-polar metal film (NP MF)
C3 - 1.0 uF NP MF
C4 - .022uF
C5 - .1 uF
C7 - .00022uF (22pF) ceramic disc
C8 - 1.0 uF NP MF
C9 - 1.0 uF NP MF
C11 - .1 uF
C12 - .1 uF (no need to change really, same value higher quality cap)
C13 - .1 uF
C14 - 1.0 uF NP MF (again, just a quality upgrade sounds the same here)

Switch: this is the tough part. Completely de-solder one leg of diodes D4 and D5, the side closest to the input jack. push the legs out through the circuit board and carefully twist them together. Then solder wire from these tow legs to one side of a SPDT Switch, and wire the other side of the switch back to the hole where those two diodes were; this switch will now lift the clipping section in and out of the pedal. This is the Distortion or Overdrive mode switch.

If that sounds like a lot to do, check out the sound samples and choose one version and don't add the switch. I always preferred the diode lifted mode; for this just clip out D4 and D5. Or, leave them in for permanent nasty heavy fuzzstortion.

enjoy. :animal:
Got my A machines on the table, got my B machines in a drawer.
http://www.facebook.com/pennypedals ________ http://www.pennypedals.com ________ http://instagram.com/pennypedals <-- mad gear pics yo
TweedBassman

committed
committed

Re: DS-1 Bass Mod

Postby Superfuzz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing this. Might try it some time. Where are these sound samples you speak of though?
Superfuzz

involved
involved

Postby McSpunckle » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:47 am

Superfuzz wrote:Cool, thanks for sharing this. Might try it some time. Where are these sound samples you speak of though?

http://bassfuzz.com/2008/12/02/dirt-rev ... -bass-mod/ :thumb:

Thanks for posting this, man! I'll have to try it if I ever get another DS-1 (or make a copy)
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Superfuzz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:54 am

Oh, this is the same as the Penny Pedals mod... I didn't realize.
Superfuzz

involved
involved

Postby robertui » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:47 am

Not to resurrect a really old thread, but I just wanted to note that I performed this mod yesterday on a DS1 that I just got in trade with a bunch of other gear and WOW this is amazing. I've got a Keeley mod'd DS1 as well, so I was planning to just let this go, but holy smokes, this is a killer pedal now and a great addition to my bass rig!
robertui

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby nbabmf » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:08 pm

For a little more grit, try ceramic caps for the 1uF.

I love the smell of solder in the morning.

Successful dealings with: blooghost, starcastic, bronzetalon, theavondon, absent, jero, sevenSHARPnine, magiclawnchair, oldangelmidnight, and others that I can't remember lol
nbabmf

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects