Tagboard TS808 Kind of Quiet

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Tagboard TS808 Kind of Quiet

Postby heartben » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Hello old friends! It has been awhile...again..

Awhile ago I bought someone's monster pedal DIY collage thing comprised of a few tagboard effects and a big muff. Everything works but the TS808 seems pretty quiet. I am curious if there is something I can add to it or change to get the volume on it up? I don't know if simply replacing the pot is enough or if there is a resistor value or something that could be off? It sounds fine it is just quieter than I think it should be.

Hopefully this is an easy fix since I can't get too much more technical than "it works and sounds fine but it is quiet". :p

Thanks gang!
I'm back! - AGAIN!
heartben

committed
committed

Re: Tagboard TS808 Kind of Quiet

Postby goroth » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:44 pm

HEARTBEEEEEEEENNNN!!!

2020 wasn't total shit after all!

TSs don't have a shitload of volume anyway, but it should definitely get a fair bit over unity. How quiet is quiet?
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:56 pm

You could put one or both clipping diodes on a toggle - that'll make it way louder and distort less.
You could try bypassing C3.

:idk:
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby crochambeau » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:22 pm

Increasing R11 (the one in the feedback path of the opamp, not the one before the level control :whateva: ) will make the opamp in the tone/volume stage work harder, no idea if this will impact sound quality though (I've not messed with the TS808 circuit). I'd start by planting 10K worth of rheostat in place of R11, dial to taste, measure, and replace R11 with a similar fixed value. The gain of that stage will probably affect the tone control, so I'd recommend giving everything a workout before committing.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby heartben » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:52 pm

goroth wrote:HEARTBEEEEEEEENNNN!!!

2020 wasn't total shit after all!

TSs don't have a shitload of volume anyway, but it should definitely get a fair bit over unity. How quiet is quiet?

Hey! Just in time for the new year! :D

I haven't had a tube screamer in a really long time so I couldn't remember if it was normal or not. I just checked and it seems like unity is just below 3 o clock? I anticipated a lot more head room than that from a tube screamer but maybe I was wrong...
I'm back! - AGAIN!
heartben

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:59 am

I flipped mine a while ago but... sounds ballpark correct? Trying to think of who I know who actually has one who can check :D

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Return to DIY Effects