Build me a phaser/flanger?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Build me a phaser/flanger?

Postby Errant Tiger » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:44 pm

Hi all,

I posted this over in Guitar Tech & Projects but thought I'd post it here for maximum results.

I would like a box - ideally 1590BB, I guess, though 1590B would be ideal - with a Phase 90 (script) style phaser on one side and a simple (MXR Micro or BF-2 style) flanger on the other. I have a Phase 95 that could maybe be rehoused as the phaser side? I have no idea if that's feasible.

Anyone up to building me this?
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Re: Build me a phaser/flanger?

Postby eatyourguitar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:00 am

you would need to hire a tech to build these two things

https://reverb.com/item/26386239-flange ... -diy-pedal

https://store.generalguitargadgets.com/ ... ca-rts-pcb

I can already say that it will not fit in a 1590B. you will need a 1590BB or a 1590D. maybe a 125B. it might not fit in a 1590BB. your tech will decide the enclosure and layout. I do not have time with school starting soon. there are plenty of people who will do this for you. but also be careful picking randoms on the internet. you don't want to be the first victim. try the madbeanpedals forums. try the diystompboxes forums. muffwiggler builder for hire forums in the diy section at the top. when I was young I would have charged maybe $400 or $450 parts and labor. now I would charge $750. it would be cheaper for you to have a pedal board. but also I don't know your budget or your inclinations.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Errant Tiger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am

eatyourguitar wrote:you would need to hire a tech to build these two things

I can already say that it will not fit in a 1590B. you will need a 1590BB or a 1590D. maybe a 125B. it might not fit in a 1590BB. your tech will decide the enclosure and layout. I do not have time with school starting soon. there are plenty of people who will do this for you. but also be careful picking randoms on the internet. you don't want to be the first victim. try the madbeanpedals forums. try the diystompboxes forums. muffwiggler builder for hire forums in the diy section at the top. when I was young I would have charged maybe $400 or $450 parts and labor. now I would charge $750. it would be cheaper for you to have a pedal board. but also I don't know your budget or your inclinations.

Wow, I had no idea it would be so expensive. I'm just going to buy a mini flanger and it put it next to my Phase 95 on the miniboard. Thanks for the info!
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby Pepe » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:27 pm

What about purchasing mini-sized analogue pedals that supply the sound you crave for and then rehouse both circuits with new 3PDT switches and quality potentiometers?
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Errant Tiger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:36 pm

Pepe wrote:What about purchasing mini-sized analogue pedals that supply the sound you crave for and then rehouse both circuits with new 3PDT switches and quality potentiometers?

That would be cool with me. I have a Phase 95 I love, and a mini-flanger like the Ibanez is probably what I'd pick up anyway.
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:18 am

Errant Tiger wrote:
eatyourguitar wrote:you would need to hire a tech to build these two things

Wow, I had no idea it would be so expensive. I'm just going to buy a mini flanger and it put it next to my Phase 95 on the miniboard. Thanks for the info!

I count the number of solder connections and drill holes made by hand. I also add up all the time spent sending emails and answering questions or asking questions about what the customer wants. if you rehouse two pedals then you really only need to charge for the drilling and wiring the footswitches. I would never do a rehouse in 2020 with these mostly inferior potentiometers that are on almost everything. when I rehouse a behringer pedal I need to do surgery on the PCB where the tact switch and the bypass circuit are. the pedal is bypassed when turned on by default. this includes time spent doing reverse engineering and cutting the PCB down to size without losing any functionality. as a working tech with rent to pay and possibly even a staff, you always want to hedge risk by adding a cushion of profit into the job. I don't think my numbers are THE price but they are what I would ask for if someone asked me to get involved. you will likely find much cheaper options from people who do not have expenses or experience. the same people that are likely to make technical mistakes or simple time & budget estimations that are very inaccurate.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:03 pm

TBH a 2 in one flanger and phaser looking at yeah a good £200 and up depending on the pedals. Thats probably $250 in US money.

I would second going to Madbean and asking for what you want over there (where I come from :) )
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby ianmarks » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Check with Dan over at Schutone. He is a master of small builds. Does phenomenal work and is a super nice guy. I know he has done the script phase and I *think* I saw a micro flange at some point.

www.schutone.com

He also posts at Madbean.
ianmarks

committed
committed

Postby Errant Tiger » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:23 am

Thanks, everyone! For anyone following along, I ended up getting a Southampton Utility Knife, which is a great combo that is almost entirely satisfying for these purposes.
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects