Adding a Feedback Loop - Input/Output out of Phase

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Adding a Feedback Loop - Input/Output out of Phase

Postby SeaWitch » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:10 pm

I'm trying to add a feedback loop to this Modded Rat build (on a momentary switch):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rD4ZusM5y2HmBWqHYZniPZc8AqMQNC5m

The usual approach of Effect Output -> Effect Input feedback loop does not seem to work on this circuit. The signal is killed when set up this way...which may mean the input is out of phase with the output...??

So, how can I determine, on this circuit where an “output” on the board is in phase with the input?"

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll do some more experimenting, but if there are any suggestions or knowledge about how to incorporate a feedback loop into this circuit, I'm all ears!
Last edited by SeaWitch on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
SeaWitch

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Adding a Feedback Loop - Input/Output out of Phase

Postby crochambeau » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:39 pm

Yeah, typically inverted feedback results in a sort of stability. With enough gain inverted paths can be pushed into a feedback mode, but being able to invert polarity on the signal is a nice touch.

I was unable to ogle your link, so I cannot weigh in on what is actually happening, but usually it does not take much to push into a feedback mode if your polarity is uniform. Sticking something like an LPB-1 or other inverting gain cell into the mix may serve to confirm.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby SeaWitch » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:36 am

OK! I fixed the link, don't know what happened there...

Check it the layout I'm working ffom when you get a chance, and let me know what you think. thanks!!
SeaWitch

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby crochambeau » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:23 pm

Trying to decipher strip layouts makes my eyes cross (sorry I can't be of more help), but if that LM308 is employed in a non-inverting manner (looks like it is) and there's an inversion going on at the output FET then you have an over-all invert which would result in subtractive feedback.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to DIY Effects