DIY double output pickup system

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

DIY double output pickup system

Postby ouchiehour » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi. I've been playing with different iterations of a stereo pickup. It is really wonderful for playing rhythm and chords through fuzz.

Every other string gets sent to the left or right output. So you can process it through two effect chains. This isn't going to win over any traditionalists, but possibly effect obsessives will like it.

It can function like a clean blend, but way crisper.

This is what is sounds and plays like:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FX6G3oChAE[/youtube]

Anyone interested in documentation? I can throw together diy details in a PDF. Still haven't tested with a 6 string instrument but there shouldn't be a problem with it.
ouchiehour

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: DIY double output pickup system

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:50 pm

Interesting sounding stuff. :thumb:

Quote my post to see how I embedded your video. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby ouchiehour » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:19 pm

I see the trick now! Thank you :) :)
ouchiehour

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:00 pm

:thumb:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:38 am

I'd love to peruse your documentation.

I want to roll a hex pickup at some point and getting other ideas on how to go about it isn't a bad thing.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ben79 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:31 am

Wow, I love it. What a great idea. Nice video. Made me think about the Os Mutantes guy who I seem to remember had an individual pickup for each string.
I would like to have a go at this.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby ouchiehour » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:55 am

Yay!!

I've got casual instructions and humbucker templates up on my site now: https://sympathykeyroom.com/duo.html

I'll post updates once I've tested six string versions. by then I'll have comments on whether the tighter spacing is fine. Hopefully narrower spacing plus single magnet per coil will be a sweet spot.
ouchiehour

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby eatyourguitar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm

Ben79 wrote:Wow, I love it. What a great idea. Nice video. Made me think about the Os Mutantes guy who I seem to remember had an individual pickup for each string.
I would like to have a go at this.

yes. he has a hexaphonic pickup and a hexaphonic fuzz. you can get the fuzz pcb right now online but you would need to build 6 of them. here is the passive pickup.

http://www.ubertar.com/hexaphonic/products.html
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ouchiehour » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 am

Personally, hexaphonic looks like a handful.

The nice thing about splitting just every other string, is you still get some interaction between intervals. You can play a four note chord and have as much mud as you'd get with playing two double stops in separate takes. You get some nice crunch and a fully voiced chord. In some hex fuzz demos I've heard, the sound is a little synth-like because it's so clean.

In fairness though, hex fuzz sounds gorgeous.
ouchiehour

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:22 pm

I saw this thread like a month ago and have wanted to comment how cool it is. I need to implement something like this. It would be cool if you had two outputs and a rotary knob or something of different combinations of strings with some LED indicator of which strings are going to which output. I'm not the guy to figure that out.

EDIT 1: Or clunky binary switches per string (sending that string to either output 1 or 2). No LED indicator needed in that case (but it would look cool).
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects