Cheap laser etcher for enclosures

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Cheap laser etcher for enclosures

Postby repoman » Sat May 04, 2019 5:31 pm

Has anyone ever messed around with one of those cheap Chinese laser engravers for enclosure labeling/aesthetics?
Looks like they can't etch metal but they can vaporize paint. Curious if anyones had success in utilizing one.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Cheap laser etcher for enclosures

Postby Jwar » Thu May 09, 2019 9:55 am

Yea there's a few folks who have those here. I can't remember who exactly though....Personally, I wouldn't buy one because of lack of support and the potential for it crapping out earlier than one that's made better. Plus no shielding seems a bit cray cray. I mean, what type of frequencies are those things throwing out for your body to absorb? I don't know. Those are my concerns. I also wonder about the light being too much to look at, but who knows. OH! Also, you need to ventilate when you engrave. Toxic shit being cut into needs to be out of your air space.

If it is a CO2 laser it will carve through paint but will not mark an enclosure without the aid of a product like Cermark. However, there are a TON of cool work arounds that I use.

If it's Fiber, it can engrave into the enclosure but it's not the depth like you'd get on a solid acid etch or CNC machine. You can also anneal, which takes a lot more time, but it will actually burn the image into the enclosure. So it will have the opposite effect and raise up a little bit as opposed to lowering. It's really cool and I miss annealing. :(
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby eatyourguitar » Sat May 11, 2019 10:11 am

some examples to look at

https://recoveryeffects.com/
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Tue May 21, 2019 6:34 pm

They use Chinese lasers?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Return to DIY Effects