Found a new silly use for my 3d printer

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Found a new silly use for my 3d printer

Postby cloudscapes » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:22 pm

When I'm designing a pedal/module, I've always enjoyed working on the design layout in 3D so I can properly plan where parts go and make sure pots/buttons/leds/etc are in a place that make sense when they're all PCB-mounted. Make sure the lugs of a pot aren't bumping into another pot, or over the edge of the board, sort of thing.

So I was doing this here design and thinking holy shit, this is super dense. Is the control layout too dense even for me? Then had one of those lightbulb over head moments, prepped the model a little bit, slammed it in the printer and a couple hours later I had something tactile that I could touch to see if everything felt in nice places! Neat!

Probably not gonna do it very often. Only for the designs with the most dense/convoluted control layouts like this one.

I didn't print it on the box, in case you're wondering.

cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Found a new silly use for my 3d printer

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Is this the ring mod you were working on? Looks great :)

What software do you use? I've been messing around with Kicad..which does 3d modelling as well..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cloudscapes » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:46 pm

I use 3ds max (it's not strictly for electronics), it's what I've been using for 3d since the early 2000s. and work provides me with a home-use license. otherwise I'd use blender.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:50 pm

That's pretty rad. Not a bad use of available tech...Most importantly, are you pleased with the result?
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cloudscapes » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:48 pm

Jero wrote:That's pretty rad. Not a bad use of available tech...Most importantly, are you pleased with the result?

The button layout or print quality? Wasn't going for the latter, just needed something quick. :)*
Layout's been tweaked a bit since. The print certainly helped with getting a feel for it.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Yea I meant the layout haha
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects