Gleeze // Fritch project

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Gleeze // Fritch project

Postby whoismarykelly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Been wanting to combine an EHX Freeze with an MASF Raptio recently and I've finally gotten around to starting the project. The plan is to take both circuits and drop them into one 1590C enclosure. The order will be Freeze > Raptio so I can freeze a sound and then stutter/glitch/mangle it with the Raptio. Also generally updating parts quality to all panel-mount parts for a sturdier build.

Lets get started:

I knew more or less what to expect with the Freeze. It needs to have the jacks removed, DC jack removed, level pot removed, and LED removed. It's getting a soft-touch switch, a different LED indicator mounted off-board, and a new toggle and pot.

Take note if you try this that something in the freeze may break on removal. I wasn't too worried about this because I need to replace this toggle regardless.

The Raptio is a trickier build. I didn't remember that these are built on two PCBs soldered back-to-back. So before I can remove the three pots and toggle from the PCB assembly, I need to desolder jumpers from 12 vias. This may be tricky but it will have to be done before I can proceed with the project.

Here are the two PCBs out of their original enclosures. Waiting on orders from Mouser and Smallbear with all the parts before I can proceed with all the desoldering and enclosure layout. It'll be a tight fit but the resulting box will be a lot easier to use as a combo pedal than both effects in separate boxes. For one thing I'll be able to manipulate both with one foot and if I'm using it table top everything will be nice and tight together for easy manipulation.

More to come...
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Gleeze // Fritch project

Postby OddKnowledge » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:53 pm

i can't wait to see / hear this when you finish.
OddKnowledge

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:42 pm

this is gonna be fucking wicked. sheeeeiiiit.
2wyckd.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby weed_killer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm really, really into this, considering I've been jonesing hard for a replacement freeze and/or a raptio to complete my board.
weed_killer

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:36 pm

Wow man, this looks rad!
Lotsa work desoldering!

You may want to beef up the filtering on the freeze's power. Mine was noisy as shit when on anything other than isolated power.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby weed_killer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:06 pm

goroth wrote:You may want to beef up the filtering on the freeze's power. Mine was noisy as shit when on anything other than isolated power.

really good point, I had forgotten about this - my freeze hated my 1spot and made it known to me whenever I tried to ignore it...
weed_killer

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:41 pm

goroth wrote:Wow man, this looks rad!
Lotsa work desoldering!

You may want to beef up the filtering on the freeze's power. Mine was noisy as shit when on anything other than isolated power.

Yep each circuit is getting a power filter/isolation.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Seedy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:12 pm

yes yes yes yes yes...keep building this magical bitch
Seedy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:49 pm

weed_killer wrote:
goroth wrote:You may want to beef up the filtering on the freeze's power. Mine was noisy as shit when on anything other than isolated power.

really good point, I had forgotten about this - my freeze hated my 1spot and made it known to me whenever I tried to ignore it...

1spots are digital switching supplies which introduce a lot of problems on their own with pedals that are otherwise fine on a traditional DC adaptor.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby DADGBD » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Nice! I look forward to seeing how this pans out.
If it's not too much to ask... could you let us know how you go about removing and wiring the input/output jacks from the Freeze? I've contemplated doing something with mine as well, but I've not replaced those kinds of jacks before and thought "ugh... f-this".
:)
DADGBD

experienced
experienced

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:28 pm

DADGBD wrote:Nice! I look forward to seeing how this pans out.
If it's not too much to ask... could you let us know how you go about removing and wiring the input/output jacks from the Freeze? I've contemplated doing something with mine as well, but I've not replaced those kinds of jacks before and thought "ugh... f-this".
:)

You just need to use desoldering braid on the solder pads and they should come off. EHX has plated through holes on their boards though so it can be tricky to remove components whole. The toggle on the board for example had to be broken apart and each pin removed individually. On a single sided board its very easy to remove parts but with plated through holes mods become much more difficult.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Teej212 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:53 am

lol MASF aint foolin anyone with that gooped up fv-1
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:10 pm

Teej212 wrote:lol MASF aint foolin anyone with that gooped up fv-1

True. Although their manipulation of whatever patch the pedal runs is likely somewhat unique. TONS of pedals are just running single programs on an FV1. Thats ZCat's whole line basically. Break out a bunch of FV1 programs into individual pedals with similar infrastructure.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:39 pm

Subscribed :snax: :wizard:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Teej212 wrote:lol MASF aint foolin anyone with that gooped up fv-1

Isn't there a vactrol or something in the goop?
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to DIY Effects