sptivalve/trombetta/WTF circuit

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

sptivalve/trombetta/WTF circuit

Postby williamsaut » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:15 pm

Hello from Connecticut. I've been getting into building some Guitar FX kits lately and want to experiment with some distortion/fuzz/overdrive type circuits as there pretty simple and a good place to start. One in particular is the Shoe Spitvalve circuit that emulates the "chiff" at the beginning of each note followed by a pretty sudden die off of the distorted note making it sound like a Trumpet. The Shoe seems to do this better than any other pedal I've seen online. Does anybody know exactly what the circuit mod is to start getting these types of sounds? From what I can tell, it seems like either it's being voltage starved and/or the bias of the second transistor is deliberately set to create these effects.

Greatly appreciated!

Will
williamsaut

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: sptivalve/trombetta/WTF circuit

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:44 pm

I dunno the Shoe pedal at all. The Trombetta-designed J. Rockett WTF has been traced, and Trombetta has provided suggestions at FSB of what he would do from that circuit to get it closer to his own preferences. A fellow at diystompboxes had done his own Trombetta-inspired Bosstone mod without the WTF as a template--also worth a look. I've done a couple builds from the WTF circuit with some suggested mods and some of my own and it's a really great pedal from fuzzerdrive to freak out and all points in between.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: sptivalve/trombetta/WTF circuit

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:47 pm

I still wanna Spitvalve. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Return to DIY Effects