Insanely simple schematic to vero problem - Halp!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Insanely simple schematic to vero problem - Halp!

Postby colossus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:20 am

I feel like an idiot. I'm trying to throw together a couple RC filters on vero for a sort of passive fixed filter for my synth. I want them to share a common input and then just have an output for each band. This is just the first LP and HP outs. I'll have two BP in addition.

The problem I'm having is that I'm getting what sounds like a BP of both or just the LP from both of the outs! I've gone over this over and over again and I can't figure out why. The outs are isolated via the cut so there shouldn't be a BP, right?? They were working fine before the common input was added so I'm assuming that's the problem but I don't get why. I have everything breadboard with the common input and that works fine. This seems so utterly simple but I'm just

colossus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Insanely simple schematic to vero problem - Halp!

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:24 pm

You're running 100% passive and both inputs are connected, yes?

Ponder the diagram a bit and observe the fact that, if the above statement is true the input is loaded to ground by both circuits, which is why you're getting bandpass effect. If you really want to split 'em up, you'll have to go active enough to slap a buffer on (the input side of) each leg, sorry.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby colossus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:29 pm

Hmm. That makes perfect sense. But I have it working on a breadboard...that's what I'm really confused about. One input feeding all of them and I have one out for LP, one for HP, and 2 BP and each out sounds different.
colossus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby colossus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Got it working with some help from Muffs. I stupidly didn't cut the trace in the middle of the first resistor and cap, thus shorting them out. Whoops.
colossus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:04 pm

Cheers to an easy fix!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby colossus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:07 pm

Now I obviously kinda just want to make it active. But this is just way easier. Ugh.
colossus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm

All it will do is improve the differences and make whatever loading on the output less of an issue - that may or may not be an improvement sonically, depending on needs and taste. Clearly not a requirement in this case (I'm guessing the synth has a low Z output, so loading is minimized).

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby colossus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Yeah, that's what I figured, especially since these are just fixed filters. Nothing too complex needed.
colossus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects