STM32 Programming Board

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

STM32 Programming Board

Postby Strange Tales » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:14 am

Which board on Mouser do I order to actually program this thing (http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 32F405RGT6)?

There are like 7000 different STM development boards all with varying prices otherwise I'd just search this up quick. I have the middle man piece to connect the board to my computer through USB, but like a jackass I forgot the actual programming board (I need to load bootloaders).

Thanks.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: STM32 Programming Board

Postby multi_s » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:14 am

are you saying you already have the st link? you don;t need a board if you already have that. you typically program smd chips once they are in place. you can do it with the st link OR you can use one of the dev boards in lieu of the st link because actually they all have an st link on them, that's how you can program the target on them.

You need computer-> stlink -> stm32 device.

that's it.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Strange Tales » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:18 am

Really? Shit I didn't notice that. So I can solder the STM32 to the board, and then use the STLink to connect it to the computer that way? That makes things a ton easier then.

Thanks man!
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cherler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:35 am

So how easy are these guys to work? I'm pretty comfortable with uC's but I've never made my own board around one. It is something I've wanted to do for a while though. I was looking at the chip they use on the Teensy 3.2. They sell another little guy with the halfkey bootloader already on it so theoretically you could just build your own version of a Teensy. Is the st link you need at all similar to the pucks you can get to program PIC's?

Also if you don't mind me asking, what's this going into? I'm kinda curious!
Instagram yo

Good dealin's: D.o.S.
cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby Strange Tales » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:40 am

I bought a PCB for a Mutable Instruments Warps that I'm going to try my hand at building. I know that Olivier has made a Linux MI boot environment that you can put the bootloader and firmware on the chips because hes a fucking wizard, but I just need to know how to connect the STM32 to my PC so I can put it all on there.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cherler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:52 am

Dang, yeah that's pretty fucking nifty.
Instagram yo

cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Pretty sure almost all stm32 dev boards with usb can be used as just a programmer after you start programming arm on another target board
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cloudscapes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:10 am

once you get into making your own boards for arm and other 32bit micros, unless you're clocking them really low, you start learning about ground fills. steep at first but worth it.

(not applicable for low speed dip versions of arm/pic32)
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cherler » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:33 pm

I thought you weren't supposed to ground fill on high speed digital circuits, maybe that was just for boards with more than two layers though?
Instagram yo

cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:26 am

you can do solid or mesh and then one sided or double sided or 4 layer. some people put a v+ mesh on one side with a ground on the other. with 4 layer boards you can have a 2 layer board sandwiched in a Faraday cage, all hidden via's and a harder to trace circuit providing some level of security from the lazy loafer.

http://www.onmyphd.com/pages/pcb.design ... .plane.jpg

I have not done any highspeed PCB design stuff yet but someday I will.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cherler » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:58 pm

I do a v+ and a ground pour on my boards just for the easy routing. I've yet to do any high speed stuff either, so I'm going off stuff I ready on the internet once maybe here :p
Instagram yo

cherler

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects