Round 9VDC

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Round 9VDC

Postby spruce_moose » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:15 am

Delete if not allowed, as it's sharktank related, but I thought it might be helpful for builders.

On my latest design I figured out a solution to the board mounted/square hole thing - correct me if someone already cracked this nut..

If you make two sided PCBs, it's pretty straight forward to put a positive and negative pad on opposite faces of an edge. It doesn't matter which. In this case I needed to clear between two board mounted jacks, and it was a tight fit.
The base of the DC jack (between the pins) sits right up against the edge. The cutaway only has to be the width of the threaded part, and however deep your design requires.

The result, although difficult to drill holes for, is very tidy :cool:

spruce_moose

committed
committed

Re: Round 9VDC

Postby multi_s » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:42 am

pretty pretty good. but if i understand what you did correctly you would have to de solder the jack to get the PCB out of the case? also it looks like you have some milling to make the slider pot slot so why not mill the square hole too ;)
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby spruce_moose » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:56 am

This pcb slides in and is mounted to the top. I couldn't fit a square one in this case without offsetting the centre jack in one direction.. and I didn't want to do that :)

spruce_moose

committed
committed

Postby multi_s » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:16 pm

ya it looks nice but how do you access the other tab (ie the one not shown in thie picture)? maybe i dont understand, it slides in, but teh dc jack is already mounted in the case, then you solder it to the board?
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:42 pm

I don't think spruce_moose is using the nut and is drilling the hole wide enough to fit the wide part/escuteon front of the jack instead of a smaller hole for the threads. The board/solder is the only thing holding the jack in place. At least from what I can see on the picture (thin fat part with less thickness on outside, no nut showing on the inside).

So soldered outside and slipped it with no nut I guess.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby multi_s » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:20 pm

oh now i get it. thanks man.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Yea it took me a long time to notice and figure it out too. Just noticed it randomly.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby spruce_moose » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:00 am

multi_s wrote:then you solder it to the board?

I even confused myself doing this.. I thought I could get away with no wires, but the 3pdt is socketed, so when removed from the way the board slides out, it's no obstacle..

The momentary on the other hand can't be board mounted because the 12mm hole would probably have to be 15mm to get enough pivot movement.

I think for this reason though it would work really well for all top mounted jacks and a socketed single-switch. That would have zero wires. The dream.
spruce_moose

committed
committed

Postby multi_s » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:39 am

spruce_moose wrote:
multi_s wrote:then you solder it to the board?

I even confused myself doing this.. I thought I could get away with no wires, but the 3pdt is socketed, so when removed from the way the board slides out, it's no obstacle..

The momentary on the other hand can't be board mounted because the 12mm hole would probably have to be 15mm to get enough pivot movement.

I think for this reason though it would work really well for all top mounted jacks and a socketed single-switch. That would have zero wires. The dream.

well, success is usually incremental. looks good!
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to DIY Effects