repairing/rehousing a BEZ street sweeper - noob questions

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

repairing/rehousing a BEZ street sweeper - noob questions

Postby phantasmagorovich » Fri May 08, 2015 2:56 am

Hey Guys, this might be a stupid question, but maybe I'm onto something.

I have a BEZ Street Sweeper and I used to love that thing for it's sound, but like apparently most of these did, it has crapped it's pants and is extremely unreliable. It shorts out apparently, intermittently the signal just doesn't pass and sometimes there is a sort of crackle noise. Also from a mechanical perspective the case it ca,e in doesn't seem to be so great, the treadle gets really loose. So I pulled it off the board and half-heartedly replaced it with a Wah.

But I'm still missing the sound. So I've pulled it out of the closet and opened it up. No idea what's going on there, tbh. But I had the feeling that it might be a problem with the pot on the treadle. When i wiggled the plastic sawtooth part that controls the pot the phaser seems to get working again.

So I have been thinking maybe I should pull the guts out of the treadle casing and wire it up to a stereo jack for expression in. Would it really be that simple?

Has anyone tried repairing one of these pedals?
Has anyone experienced problems with the version for exp control that BEZ sold at the time?

I'm thinking this might be an opportunity to salvage a great sounding pedal, or am I stupid?
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Re: repairing/rehousing a BEZ street sweeper - noob question

Postby Chankgeez » Fri May 08, 2015 9:07 am

phantasmagorovich wrote:

So I have been thinking maybe I should pull the guts out of the treadle casing and wire it up to a stereo jack for expression in. Would it really be that simple?

Seems like this would probably work. Not sure though. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jero » Fri May 08, 2015 9:24 am

Do you know where the three lugs of the pot go? Is one to ground?
Also, the pot itself may be faulty. Maybe replace it with a normal one and see what happens.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri May 08, 2015 10:30 am

I just opened mine up.

Two of the pot lugs are wired to the direction switch. The third is wired to the board, labelled "CVIN".

The pot is 125K. Couldn't see a brand name.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Return to DIY Effects