Adding 9v dc plug to Jext Telez Dizzy Tone

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Adding 9v dc plug to Jext Telez Dizzy Tone

Postby Jwar » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Hey guys! So I'm going to take on a project rehouse and one of the things I've been asked to do is add a 9v plug for the Jext Telez Dizzy Tone. Actually I'm housing two in one box (stacking them) and going to use one power plug.

I want to double check the proper way to do this because it has older components and I know some have weird requirements. Is there a schematic or walk through of doing this on older type circuits? I know I can't just simply replace the battery wires with a plug.

Any help would be appreciated as I'd use this in the future as well!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Re: Adding 9v dc plug to Jext Telez Dizzy Tone

Postby Jwar » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Well fine!!!!!!!!!! :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Hyphen Nation » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:07 am

I wish I could help but I got nothing…I have to say, HOLY FUCK that is going to be amazing, though. Maybe post on D*A*M forums? Seems like theres a lot of builders on there who could probably lend an idea or two…
Hyphen Nation

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:30 am

I'm thinking the Dizzy Tone is a pnp transistor fuzz. If your client is going to be daisy chaining it with centre negative pedals then I suggest building a power pump circuit to convert the centre negative supply to power suitable for powering pnp transistor circuits. Though don't take my word for it. I'm an elecronics noob. Maybe PM Arcane Analog. He looks like he knows his shit when it comes to old pnp transistor circuits.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby LaoWiz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:06 pm

Yea, jwar you would need to build a charge pump circuit to provide -9V from a +9V supply unless the person you are building for is down with batteries. Probably the easiest way to do this would be to buy Madbean's road rage board that has good documentation.
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:25 am

LaoWiz wrote:Yea, jwar you would need to build a charge pump circuit to provide -9V from a +9V supply unless the person you are building for is down with batteries. Probably the easiest way to do this would be to buy Madbean's road rage board that has good documentation.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking but couldn't remember.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:25 am

LaoWiz wrote:Yea, jwar you would need to build a charge pump circuit to provide -9V from a +9V supply unless the person you are building for is down with batteries. Probably the easiest way to do this would be to buy Madbean's road rage board that has good documentation.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking but couldn't remember.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby KaosCill8r » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:29 am

Yeah I thought so. Just wasn't 100% sure. Didn't want to commit to giving the wrong info when someone else's pedal was concerned.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:36 pm

KaosCill8r wrote:

Yeah I thought so. Just wasn't 100% sure. Didn't want to commit to giving the wrong info when someone else's pedal was concerned.

Hey I appreciate that!! :)

Luckily I told them I'd get back to them. I had one modded from someone here quite a few years ago, not that exact pedal, but same situation. I literally could not remember what the item I needed was. Charge Pump makes total sense. That Madbean one seems stupid simple too.

Now I need to make 100% sure it'll work. LOL. I might email Jext Telez too and ask what they'd recommend just to be safe.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby LaoWiz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:14 pm

jwar wrote:
KaosCill8r wrote:

Hey I appreciate that!! :)

Luckily I told them I'd get back to them. I had one modded from someone here quite a few years ago, not that exact pedal, but same situation. I literally could not remember what the item I needed was. Charge Pump makes total sense. That Madbean one seems stupid simple too.

Now I need to make 100% sure it'll work. LOL. I might email Jext Telez too and ask what they'd recommend just to be safe.

Yeah, email them to make sure they used PNP germanium transistors. Then you should be set. I did jrmy's Buzzaround (same circuit pretty much) with a charge pump circuit I perfed. Totally worked. Was confusing wrapping my head around it, but it worked! If I were to do it again I would def do madbean's road rage.....

How's do the dizzys sound?
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bret608 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:46 pm

I'm curious to hear how it sounds too. I cross-referenced the part values with Madbean's Bumblebee (Buzzaround) board and was thinking about building a Dizzy Tone on that board with his 3PRR (Road Rage/3PDT PCB combined). I did that on a MkIII/MkIV type thing I built and it worked flawlessly.

I looked at gut shots of Jext Telez's Dizzy Tone and can tell you for sure they're PNP transistors. I agree the Road Rage is the easiest route unless the person you're doing this for has one of those positive ground specific-plugs that you can get with a Voodoo Labs PP2, for example. I think Fulltone sells a wall wart that's meant for PNP fuzz, but I remember it being pretty pricey.

I hope it goes well either way! :)
Bret608

committed
committed

Postby HorseyBoy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Know, too, that even with a charge pump and a good, isolated power supply it's going to be a fair bit noisier than it would be running off a battery. Probably not enough to bother the dude you're doing it for but it always bugs me. For old circuits like that I always prefer a battery on/off switch on the pedal (either a switch or on a pot). That way you can leave it on a board if you want to.
HorseyBoy

experienced
experienced

Postby Jwar » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Hmm. That fucking sucks. I wonder why.

I don't actually have the pedals yet, but I've been asked a few times by different people. So wanted to check out if it was feasible. Of course ILF for the win as usual!!! :)

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Hyphen Nation » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:41 pm

HorseyBoy wrote:Know, too, that even with a charge pump and a good, isolated power supply it's going to be a fair bit noisier than it would be running off a battery. Probably not enough to bother the dude you're doing it for but it always bugs me. For old circuits like that I always prefer a battery on/off switch on the pedal (either a switch or on a pot). That way you can leave it on a board if you want to.

This...
Hyphen Nation

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Bret608 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:50 am

In general, I've found that to be true about batteries being less noisy with fuzz. A Supa Fuzz I did, for example, absolutely hated my power supply but sounds awesome on a battery.

But I have to say, Madbean's Road Rage solves those issues to a large extent. I tried my MkIII on his Pastyface board both battery-only and with the Road Rage and my 9v wall wart before I committed to boxing it. Because of the Road Rage's additional filtering, there was no audible difference and no extra noise.
Bret608

committed
committed

Next

Return to DIY Effects