Advice on batteries

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Advice on batteries

Postby Ben79 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:21 am

I'm gonna be doing some busking and I want to be able to power my little rig from a battery.

I'm thinking about something like this since the RC industry take their batteries seriously and their customers can't be easily fooled by false ratings...

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... _Pack.html

I'll need 12v for my amps (Ruby and Tiny Giant) and obviously 9v for pedals (all fuzz) and I'd like be able to run for 2-3 hours.

Any advice on how I can accomplish this?
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Re: Advice on batteries

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:41 pm

for 9v stuff, you can buy a laptop / usb rechargeable battery that also does 9v (sometimes they can do more than that).

like this
http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7906-BA
or this
http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower15000.html

i have the ravpower one and it works great. it also does 12V. super long battery life! (haven't tried daisy chaining pedals) mostly use it to run drum machines, synths and samplers (which take way more mA than pedals usually do) i think i've ran mine for 6-8 hours at a time, and i still prob had 4+ hours left on it or something.

when the weather is nice, i like to go outside, sit at a picnic table in a park, or something and bring my beat machines w/ me.

keep in mind that most of these will be center positive polarity.
but what i did was put a one spot reverse polarity adapter on the cable coming from the battery and now u got center negative polarity.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:44 pm

i think there is also something called Pedal Juice by Sanyo that is more designed to power pedals specifically
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ben79 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks Dr.

The Ravpower seems to only have 5v USB out?

And I think perhaps those units contain lower quality cells than the RC batteries but with fancy cases and circuitry so they can charge more to electronics consumers.

I'm wondering what factors, if any, affect the sound as I know internal impedance of a battery can effect a fuzz. So I'm wondering if I can compensate/control this somehow (bearing in mind that I don't really understand what impedance means!). And if a battery is having to power an amp and pedals at once, could that be an issue?
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:17 pm

the Ravpower, there is a DC power output jack next to the USB ports that is used for powering 9v/12v stuff w/ the provided DC cable.
and then there is another DC input jack on the other side that is used for charging the battery itself.

Ben79 wrote: And I think perhaps those units contain lower quality cells than the RC batteries but with fancy cases and circuitry so they can charge more to electronics consumers.

u are probably right on that one.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects