not a pedal, but anyone good with car radio hacking/ wiring?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

not a pedal, but anyone good with car radio hacking/ wiring?

Postby DannDubbleEwe » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Did this to my old ass '94 buick century a while back but it's a cube somewhere now

have this swank ass falling apart '97 Buick Lesabre (yes I'm a grandpa at heart)

But I want to hardwire an aux jack. The cassette player is already fucked mechanically anyway, so - and this is how I did it before - i'm just taking the leads on the connector from the cassette feed itself and wiring it to an 1/8" switched jack and a toggle to go between aux and back to radio/ CD. This "newer" model Delco radio has two more wires than I am familiar with and colors all crazy like.

Anyone have any clue what these wires are? L, R, 12v, etc.?

brown red orange yellow green blue purple

I found a guide I used with my older stereo that had a 5 cable connector here:

:idk:
DannDubbleEwe

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: not a pedal, but anyone good with car radio hacking/ wir

Postby ryan summit » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:43 pm

im so sick of the fm transmitter
looked into this a few years ago
didn't have any solder skills at the time
but I'm gonna do it
as soon as i get a free sunday
i have an 08 tacoma
so theres solder lugs in there for the upgrade

my advice
touch it in the back
the blue wire
ryan summit

Supporter
Supporter

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:21 am

it would be a lot simpler in your case. just rip out wires 1 & 2 from the cassette and wire it to a 3.5mm stereo jack. you need ground from somewhere. you can probably get ground from that green pcb in the picture. the majority of the copper is ground. any solder pad that does not have a dark ring around it is probably ground. all it says about the switch is that the cassette mode needs to be activated for cassette audio to be activated. you can probably do that on the cassette deck unless it is really really broken.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DannDubbleEwe » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:40 pm

I guess that diagram is rerouting the feed the cassette deck gets from what was the cassette deck to a jack, the switch would be switching back to the other half of the radio from the switching system in the deck back to the actual radio feed and the CD player. That would work, but I'd like to just bypass the cassette for aux and be able to switch back to cd/ radio and not JUST use the aux
DannDubbleEwe

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects