R2G2 Difficulty Level?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

R2G2 Difficulty Level?

Postby JohnnyCNote » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:14 am

How difficult is the R2G2 to build? Are there any challenges in particular in assembling this effect? I like the sound in the demos and think it would work well in my system. Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks…
'76 Strat; '82 Walnut Strat; '00 Ibanez S7420; '11 Jackson DK2S

Peavey Mace & Roadmaster Heads
2 4X12 Cabinets
Fender Blues Jr. Combo
Rocktron Prophesy II
Delays, fuzz, distortion boxes
JohnnyCNote

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: R2G2 Difficulty Level?

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:14 am

Got a link to the project files? I couldn't find one. I gathered that it is just a muff. If you can build one, you can build 'em all.

If they stayed true to the G2, it would be double-buffered (non-true-bypass), and would have some uncommon power filter components (if I recall correctly), so it might be a little outside the comfort zone if you've only built true bypass stuff.

But none of it should present a problem unless you are still at the "which end of the iron do I hold" phase. :)

Good luck!

Mike
My diy pedal blog: Just one more build...
Mike

committed
committed

Postby KaosCill8r » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:13 am

Mike wrote:But none of it should present a problem unless you are still at the "which end of the iron do I hold" phase. :)Mike

That one there is a quick lesson to learn on your own. It should only take a second. :lol:
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:38 am

KaosCill8r wrote:
Mike wrote:But none of it should present a problem unless you are still at the "which end of the iron do I hold" phase. :)Mike

That one there is a quick lesson to learn on your own. It should only take a second. :lol:

Even after that one, it's quite common for people to accidentally burn themselves from time to time--your often focusing on the components instead of the iron and can lose track of where it is. It took years before I stopped burning myself when I did the occasional project. So get an aloe plant--your fingers will still hold a grudge, but they'll appreciate it.

Also, if you have long hair, a good hair tie or scrunchy keeps you from finding out what your own burning hair smells like.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JohnnyCNote » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:50 pm

Thanks for the great info & advice! I'm pretty good at finding the business end of a soldering iron, but I lost the vision in my left eye, meaning that I don't have depth perception. This can prove somewhat problematic when soldering in close quarters.

I think I'll go ahead and take the plunge. I have a strong feeling this will not be the last message I post on the subject. I also have a pretty good hunch there'll be a fair amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Stay tuned…
'76 Strat; '82 Walnut Strat; '00 Ibanez S7420; '11 Jackson DK2S

Peavey Mace & Roadmaster Heads
2 4X12 Cabinets
Fender Blues Jr. Combo
Rocktron Prophesy II
Delays, fuzz, distortion boxes
JohnnyCNote

uncommitted
uncommitted

Return to DIY Effects