Recently finished 100w high gain amp build

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Recently finished 100w high gain amp build

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:35 pm

This was supposed to be my big fall project and then I finished the build in a week :idk: Looks like Ill just have to build another one after this to keep myself occupied :lol:

Started with a Metroamp chassis and panels for a JMP 2203 style build. Sourced lots of good quality parts from all over the web to stuff in it.

Classictone 100W PT and OT (Affordable and killer sounding. My Science Decolonizer uses a very similar set with a different primary impedance)
CTS pots
Belden sockets
Illinois coupling caps
PRP metal film and Amtrans carbon film resistors with a few 2W metal oxides on the power supply
BC Components and F&T filter caps
Tung Sol El34s and 12AX7s

Started with the standard circuit and gave it a bit more gain and bass in the preamp. Then added a depth control in the power amp for more low end resonance. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to alter the tone stack. Right now it sounds fantastic and I dont see the need to change anything else.

Waiting on a headshell from Sourmash before I can get out and play some shows with this :)

whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Recently finished 100w high gain amp build

Postby skullservant » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:48 pm

It looks great man, nice work. You going with a Marshall-esque headshell?
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:26 pm

skullservant wrote:It looks great man, nice work. You going with a Marshall-esque headshell?

Pretty much. Its JMP dimensions with the thicker side panels but plexi corner finishing instead of the plastic corners and vent.

Next project will probably be in a custom chassis so I can cut down on wasted space and use a more compact headshell. The Marshall shell is cool but its needlessly large for what is happening inside the amp.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Killer!

And that sounds like a plan dude. I love smaller headshells. they just make sense
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby adventure_audio » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Looks awesome. I want to hear how it sounds! Great job
adventure_audio

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby imJonWain » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:15 pm

woah looks killer!
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby morange » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:06 pm

Sofa king nice. Awesome work! I've been jonesing to build an amp for so long, need to just do it.
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects