Basic Diode Question(s)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Basic Diode Question(s)

Postby Dogbrainz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:12 am

Hi peoples. Thanks in advance for any advice anybody can give.

I'm building a Creaker Spanker (clone) boost/overdrive pedal. It's a very basic layout that seems to have 3 1n60p diodes for overdrive effect.

Q) Can I replace 1n60p's with 1n4148 diodes?

I noticed that 1n60p's seem to be be Germanium and Schottky diodes. The 1n4148's seem to be silicon diodes.
I'm guessing changing diodes will effect the tone but am hoping they might be able to use 1n4148's for a reasonably similar result.

Thanks again.
"Ride the analog waves like a surfer" - Phillip Sudo (Zen Guitar)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally?feature=mhee
Dogbrainz

committed
committed

Re: Basic Diode Question(s)

Postby Jero » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:38 am

You can swap them, but it will sound somewhat different no doubt
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dogbrainz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:05 am

Jero wrote:You can swap them, but it will sound somewhat different no doubt

Thanks Jero.
Helpful as always.
I'm guessing 'somewhat different' is a polite way of saying not the same at all but it will work.
Guess I'll breadboard it first since it's such an easy circuit, then decide if it's worth ordering a few diodes by mail to get the right sound.
I do prefer silicon fuzz to germanium so hopefully that relates to diodes as well as transistors, but maybe not.
I like my tone a bit crunchy but maybe I don't need the extra crunch if I'm using the Creaker Spanker more as a boost than overdrive.
"Ride the analog waves like a surfer" - Phillip Sudo (Zen Guitar)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally?feature=mhee
Dogbrainz

committed
committed

Postby contraterrene » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 am

Dogbrainz wrote:

Thanks Jero.
Helpful as always.
I'm guessing 'somewhat different' is a polite way of saying not the same at all but it will work.
Guess I'll breadboard it first since it's such an easy circuit, then decide if it's worth ordering a few diodes by mail to get the right sound.
I do prefer silicon fuzz to germanium so hopefully that relates to diodes as well as transistors, but maybe not.
I like my tone a bit crunchy but maybe I don't need the extra crunch if I'm using the Creaker Spanker more as a boost than overdrive.

you could put them on a switch, too. more options for more tones. :joy:
contraterrene

committed
committed

Postby Moose » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:35 pm

contraterrene wrote:
Dogbrainz wrote:

Thanks Jero.
Helpful as always.

you could put them on a switch, too. more options for more tones. :joy:

I second this. If there's ever an option to have switchable diodes, do it!
Moose

committed
committed

Postby Jero » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Typically, the GE diodes will have less headroom and be warmer or fuzzier, where the sili might have more crunch. Not really a fan of those generic terms but most people get it so...
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects