Bazz Fuss Sustain Mods??

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Bazz Fuss Sustain Mods??

Postby Dogbrainz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Anyone know of any Bazz Fuss Mods that help with sustain issues?

I've been bread boarding some Bazz Fuss variations and am going to do a build with the MPSA13 and 1914 diode.

Does anybody know of any mods to help give more sustain for higher notes?

The robot fart/dying bee sound on higher notes sounds cool but if anyone knows of mods that help give sustain for the higher notes I'd sure appreciate some tips....
"Ride the analog waves like a surfer" - Phillip Sudo (Zen Guitar)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally?feature=mhee
Dogbrainz

committed
committed

Re: Bazz Fuss Sustain Mods??

Postby Jero » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:01 am

Maybe make 2 in series aka the buzzbox (not related to the DOD)...or just put a boost in front of it.
Perhaps a blend control on the diode?
All those quirks are just part of the fun with that circuit.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dogbrainz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:16 am

Jero wrote:Maybe make 2 in series aka the buzzbox (not related to the DOD)...or just put a boost in front of it.
Perhaps a blend control on the diode?
All those quirks are just part of the fun with that circuit.

Yeah I guess that's just what a minimal fuzz circuit does.
I'll just make it as is and use it for what it does. I do really like the sound it gives on the lower power chords.
I'll probably just make a fuzz face clone as a second project and use the Bazz Fuss build as a learning curve
Dogbrainz

committed
committed

Postby culturejam » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:58 am

You could try a schottky diode instead of the silicon. Like BAT41, BAT42, 1N60P, etc.

It will lower the output volume a bit, but it will increase the compression/sustain.
Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dogbrainz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:50 am

culturejam wrote:You could try a schottky diode instead of the silicon. Like BAT41, BAT42, 1N60P, etc.

It will lower the output volume a bit, but it will increase the compression/sustain.

Alrighty yeah. I'll definately try that. There's no shortage of output volume on it so that'll be no real loss
Thanx for the tip.
Dogbrainz

committed
committed

Postby fuzzy1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:43 pm

I got a solution to this bazz fuss sustain thing!
After a long time I figured it out, if your still looking just let me know and ill tell you how I did it.
Just dont wanna be posting this to a dinosaur!
fuzzy1

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:25 pm

fuzzy1 wrote:I got a solution to this bazz fuss sustain thing!
After a long time I figured it out, if your still looking just let me know and ill tell you how I did it.
Just dont wanna be posting this to a dinosaur!

wait what who is dino? you can post it here. I want to see.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Suspicious minds » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:45 am

Hi all,
New to the forum, however have been building a few fuzz pedals recently in particular the bazz fuss.
I did one - point to point, using a youtube video and i got the "farty" sound described.
Now i've just finished a bazz fuss using a pcb from poodle pedal parts (populated with components i already have),and it sounds very good with great sustain.
I used the mpsa13 transistor but added a on/on switch to flick between a 1n4148 and a 3mm led.
The 1n4148 sounds quieter than the led but is fine - nice and smooth.
Kick the led on however and it goes louder and is almost a hybrid fuzz/distortion sound - really very good.
I've also added a further switch - on/off/on to the existing switch with another led and a 0a119 germanium diode.
I tried to add a gain pot to control the fuzz from the pedal rather than the vol knob on my guitar but couldnt get anything other than an annoying white noise sound so i ditched that idea.
Anyways, its deffo going on my board so happy days!
Suspicious minds

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby fuzzy1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Okay so ill try to keep it simple.
First of all the sustain problem is BIAS Issue! for this solution a 1n4148 diode and a 2n3904 transistor was used.
Step 1: That resistor connected to the collector, usually I see it on some schematics as a 100k or 10k resistor, replace it with a 10 trim pot!
Step 2: connect a 1Meg resistor directly from the 9V supply to the base of the transistor.
Step 3: Bias it.... this is tricky as fup! for my test from what I can remember when I done this the collector was about 200 mV above the base voltage.
A Volt meter isn't really necessary tho as you really will need to do this by ear.
Basically start at the highest resistance of the trim pot, play a chord and search for the sustain by varying the trim pot until you get a thick wall of dense sustain.
I went past this point loads of times trying to get it perfect, you will see what I mean if you try it, its a tiny point on the trimpots rotation.
A quick note, a 1n4148 wont really turn on till you hit 500mV so a 200mV potential difference between its two sides ( the collector and base ) means its not turned on fully.
Hope this helps im new to this fist post so dont know how to post a schematic will be happy to if any one wants one or such like.
fuzzy1

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby KaosCill8r » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Suspicious minds wrote:Hi all,
New to the forum, however have been building a few fuzz pedals recently in particular the bazz fuss.
I did one - point to point, using a youtube video and i got the "farty" sound described.
Now i've just finished a bazz fuss using a pcb from poodle pedal parts (populated with components i already have),and it sounds very good with great sustain.
I used the mpsa13 transistor but added a on/on switch to flick between a 1n4148 and a 3mm led.
The 1n4148 sounds quieter than the led but is fine - nice and smooth.
Kick the led on however and it goes louder and is almost a hybrid fuzz/distortion sound - really very good.
I've also added a further switch - on/off/on to the existing switch with another led and a 0a119 germanium diode.
I tried to add a gain pot to control the fuzz from the pedal rather than the vol knob on my guitar but couldnt get anything other than an annoying white noise sound so i ditched that idea.
Anyways, its deffo going on my board so happy days!

I've built a lot of Poodles Pedal Parts fuzz and overdrive kits. Awesome kits for cheap. Actually never built his Bazz Fuzz kit. Might have to look into it and build a dedicated bass board.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to DIY Effects