Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby Jero » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:53 am

Damn, that's awesome. I had a busted holy grail for a minute I wanted to do that to, and it just never happened.

...you gonna offer those parts to folks?
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:06 am

thats rad dude.

i'll never understand why companies make decisions like these...if its got 8 modes why not give the ppl 8 modes!
surely u would sell more and the added cost to using a different switch for it is prolly negligible.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 am

The other modes are like delay and tremolo etc, probably just to make it a simple reverb to market.

The added functionality is so cool though.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:18 am

BetterOffShred wrote:It's fantastic :) such a great mod!

Thanks, Boo. :hug:

Jero wrote:Damn, that's awesome. I had a busted holy grail for a minute I wanted to do that to, and it just never happened.

...you gonna offer those parts to folks?

I could make some up for people as long as it falls within the DIY forum rules. The bracket was scrap and the board is pretty small, so it would just a few bucks + shipping. Think BOS said he was working on hacking the existing switch into a bracket, so that would be even better if possible. If you're not hung up on the rotary it's all doable with 3x panel-mounted spsts.

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:thats rad dude.

i'll never understand why companies make decisions like these...if its got 8 modes why not give the ppl 8 modes!
surely u would sell more and the added cost to using a different switch for it is prolly negligible.

I had the same question going in. The modes aren't that distinctive besides that one crazy one, so it seems like they decided to offer the 3 "best" and not water it down. Still, glad I did it just for the experience. :snax:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:35 am

Yes, Spacelord hooked me up with a rotary and I am hacking the existing switch into a bracket for it. I will post results in my build thread, I'll probably work on it later in the week. Thanks again for the switch dood :love:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby emcee_m_prime » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:52 pm

Family shot
emcee_m_prime

involved
involved

Postby AZX309 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:46 pm

looking slick
https://www.instagram.com/maskaudioelectronics/
D.o.S. wrote:you're not my real dad

Corey Y wrote: Tone is in the dingus.
AZX309

committed
committed

Postby emcee_m_prime » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks! The one on the right is basically a shrunk down Prunes and Custard. Haven't seen any around for a while really but it's really different and I am finding it inspiring.
emcee_m_prime

involved
involved

Postby Jero » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:07 am

Those are slick!
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:45 am

spacelordmother wrote:
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:thats rad dude.

I had the same question going in. The modes aren't that distinctive besides that one crazy one, so it seems like they decided to offer the 3 "best" and not water it down. Still, glad I did it just for the experience. :snax:

ah okay. still tho ppl just like more no matter what.

yea totally! i just like doing things even if theres no real end game.
so many times those things learned from this comes in handy down the line for a completely different thing.
not to mention the confidence building
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby digi2t » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:24 am

Finally boxed the DEFX Comfy Plum. This is the Way Huge Purple Platypus, with added octave switching and octave level control. One of many builds that has been languishing on my bench top. :whateva:

It does a normal tube sound fuzz, to a Scrambler ring moddy octave, and everything in between. When the drive is set to the high side, you get that Superfuzz type attack crash (read "SPLAT!") when you slam a chord. With a single coil neck pup, the octave is crystal clear. It's a little fussy when it comes to transistors for the octave section, but not frustratingly so. It didn't take me long to find a nice combo. 2N5238/ECG123A did it for me. It's a socket and solder affair. Same goes for the diodes. This one sports Russian D9V's. Forward voltage close to silicon, but with the gentle knee of germanium. This thing has volume up the wahzoo. Just turn the amp down, and crank this sucker. The preamp tubes will be glowing pretty good.

Must sit down and do a video of this one.

"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Nice man! Most of the way huge designs are loud AF from my experience.. the angry troll blows up amps!!

Love the build Dino, thanks for sharing.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:50 pm

I finally finished the Sidescroller a month or so ago. It took a long time bcuz of components arriving slowly and general boxing-related stuff. Added a 56k resistor between R1 and R4 to make it less sensitive/more gated, might go back and mess with that some more. Black Hammerite paint, no markings, I know what the knobs do by now. Rad synth fuzz that makes u see Sonic sprites.

sidescroller.jpg

sidescr_int.JPG
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:52 pm

This page. :love: :love: :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby fuzzonaut » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 am

Chankgeez wrote:This page. :love: :love: :love:

Yep.

Here's a thing that has been on the bench for a while. It is a CODA Effects Black Hole, a Model T inspired preamp (4 x J201) with a boost (LPB1) in front of it. The boost was meant to be on a DPTD switch (or footswitch) with an internal trimpot to set the level of the boost.

I decided to have the boost always on and moved the potentiometer to the front. I also put C1, C2 and C7 into sockets, so that I could easily swap those caps for more bass if needed (I use it on bass). Although, using the 3 band EQ, it can get pretty bass heavy with the stock values.

The pilot light didn't function as intended via the footswitch board, so I had to run more wires than planned first ... :idk: Looks a bit messy over there.
Anyway, the light works now (and is red, of course).

This could have fit into a smaller enclosure, but I wanted to put numbered knobs and a jewel light on there to give it an amp like appereance - and I like big pedals!

O)))_1.jpg
boo))m

O)))_2.jpg
noo))b
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects