Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby peeps » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:44 pm

McMaster-Carr, G-10/FR4, 1/16".
peeps

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Ben79 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:02 pm

Tim Escobedo Tripple Fuzz....

I like this fuzz a lot. Some quirky, phasery ring mod sounds in there, overdriven desk and trashy, transistor splat fuzz. Only mod I made was a 0.47uf input cap instead of Tim's 0.1 - gives low notes a smooth, compressed, furry tone on the neck pup.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:53 pm

:love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby digi2t » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:15 pm

I don't see the Tripple Fuzz that often, but a form of it is used as the front end for the Spaceman WOW signal. It uses a gremanuim transistor as post boost, rather than a silicon transistor in the pre position. An opamp provides I've had it on the breadboard without the LFO section, at it really rocks.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=99850.msg877115#msg877115

It's a great fuzz, but it's really fussy when it comes to transistor matching. I really should go back to it, and draw up a fuzz only version with tonestack.
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:37 pm

digi2t wrote:I don't see the Tripple Fuzz that often, but a form of it is used as the front end for the Spaceman WOW signal. It uses a gremanuim transistor as post boost, rather than a silicon transistor in the pre position. An opamp provides I've had it on the breadboard without the LFO section, at it really rocks.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=99850.msg877115#msg877115

It's a great fuzz, but it's really fussy when it comes to transistor matching. I really should go back to it, and draw up a fuzz only version with tonestack.

without gain it might just act like a soft clipper before it actually does any wavefolding. also interesting to think a class AB amp is the same as a lockheart folder. someone would have found it if lockheart didn't. Ken Stone actually has a lot more waveshaper designs on his site worth a look.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cherler » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:59 pm

I finally found the time to finish a prototype of the loop switcher A/B/Y thing I started a thread about a little while ago. Not the best demo, but I'm really happy with it! You can do loop A, loop B, both in parallel, and both in series either A->B or B->A. Couple of ways to set it up so the toggle on the right switches you between the two settings you're interested in, and holding it long enough makes the change momentary. Here's another little clip on instagram using the momentary feature.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLohJQAA1F1/
Instagram yo

Good dealin's: D.o.S.
cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby peeps » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:00 pm

6tr fuzz wah, add the output gain stage from 8tr circuit- the little board above main pcb. This fixes low fuzz volume, respecting Shin Ei design element.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (68.61 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
peeps

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby digi2t » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:05 pm

Finally finished the Son of Storm Tide flanger. If you ever decide to build this, stay clear of Asian sources for the TDA 1022's. Got burned with fakes. Luckily, didn't cost me much for taking a chance. Picked up the good ones from Smallbear, he had the best prices around. I incorporated Millennium II bypass on one side for the LED. The only thing missing is a bi-colored LED for the manual indication, which will fade from green, to yellow, to red as I sweep the knob from negative to positive. It was an after thought, so I had to order up some LED's.

Hen's Tooth Café video coming soon... :thumb:

digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:15 pm

digi2t wrote:Image

Holy crap, digi2t, that's insane!!! :!!!:

digi2t wrote:Hen's Tooth Café video coming soon... :thumb:

I was gonna ask how it sounds. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby digi2t » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:42 pm

It sounds as advertised. The flanging is really nice, but it's all the extras that put it over the top. The "Bounce" feature is like someone is bumping one of the tape machines as it's flanging. The ramp and skew modulations are great, and the sample/hold is just sick. If you dial it up to the point where it's popping, and you play in time with the LFO rate, it's like hitting a tuned bongo with every note you pluck. It's like a Maestro Sample/Hold on steroids. I've read that some folks aren't fond of the popping, but I'm really digging it. Then there's the envelope detector, which adds flange modulation on the attack, kind of like a "Mutron III flanger" effect. That's pretty cool too. Short delay, long delay, short resonance, long resonance, no resonance, inverse path or resonance.... there's a lot going on in here. Throw your favorite dirt pedal in front, and run it through a 100w stack at full bore, it's like standing behind a Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-229 at full military thrust. :lol:

digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:52 pm

:love:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cherler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:55 pm

So here's my latest attempt at acid etching. My girlfriend and I have been trying to get it down and I think we're starting to make decent progress. This is just for a clariclone with a repeats mod. I'm really happy with how this etch turned out though. We were trying to be frugal and reuse the same acid as much as possible, and using fresh acid made such a huuuuuuge difference. Four times as fast and it actually ended up with texture. I may just have to ditch the frugality.

Also that flanger is fucking nuts...
Instagram yo

Good dealin's: D.o.S.
cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby jrfox92 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:18 am

Couple of different tries at spray paint methods.
First one had multiple layers painted and removed with newspaper underneath then had cut pieces of painter's tape placed over it then black with flecks of paint. Sadly, I forgot to sand the enclosure and the paint ripped off when I taped it to drill.
So, I redid the process but backwards.
Black underlayer with flecks then wrapped in painter's tape and sprayed with layers that were removed with newspaper.
20161014_001510 2.jpg

20161023_21020002.jpg

It ended up a little tacky feeling, but I'm not sure if that's because of the paint or the adhesive.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Teej212 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:12 pm

digi2t wrote:Finally finished the Son of Storm Tide flanger. If you ever decide to build this, stay clear of Asian sources for the TDA 1022's. Got burned with fakes. Luckily, didn't cost me much for taking a chance. Picked up the good ones from Smallbear, he had the best prices around. I incorporated Millennium II bypass on one side for the LED. The only thing missing is a bi-colored LED for the manual indication, which will fade from green, to yellow, to red as I sweep the knob from negative to positive. It was an after thought, so I had to order up some LED's.

Hen's Tooth Café video coming soon... :thumb:

holy moly
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:54 pm

jrfox92, those are gorgeous. :love:

Finished up my CVLT build. I'll post better non snapchat pictures later.

DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects