Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby dminner » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:57 am

LaoWiz wrote:Been a long time! I think it's been a year since I've made a pedal. This half counts as I am rehousing my diy megalith. Now to etch and paint and drill holes and populate. I miss this shit....

Really awesome design!

I just finished up these enclosures. They are for pedals with two reverbs in one enclosure. One is a modified dba reverberation machine circuit that also has decay control. The other is a circuit that has an actual tank. These are actually 2" tall 1590dd. There is a send a return so you can run your whole board through so you always have a pre and post vern on tap. Also has an order toggle to flip them.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (106.62 KiB) Viewed 5948 times
dminner

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:46 am

Deeeamn.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby benoi31 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:03 am

dminner wrote:
LaoWiz wrote:Been a long time! I think it's been a year since I've made a pedal. This half counts as I am rehousing my diy megalith. Now to etch and paint and drill holes and populate. I miss this shit....

Really awesome design!

I just finished up these enclosures. They are for pedals with two reverbs in one enclosure. One is a modified dba reverberation machine circuit that also has decay control. The other is a circuit that has an actual tank. These are actually 2" tall 1590dd. There is a send a return so you can run your whole board through so you always have a pre and post vern on tap. Also has an order toggle to flip them.

This is awesome! Love the design of the enclosure!
Cant wait to hear the analogue reverb with the tank, I always wondered how it sounds like.
benoi31

interested
interested

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:11 pm

Waiting for my OLED screen to come in from China, but I think this is my first successful SMD build. Accidentally swallowed a resistor but hey I had a backup to use.

What it is, Ornament_Crime eurorack module. This is one of its many forms:
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:39 pm

Strange Tales wrote:Accidentally swallowed a resistor

Sometimes you have to pay a great price to find a component so imbued with mojo...
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:54 pm

crochambeau wrote:
Strange Tales wrote:Accidentally swallowed a resistor

Sometimes you have to pay a great price to find a component so imbued with mojo...

I'm more interested in how my stomach will handle it! :lol:

For scientific reference, it was a 33k ohm resistor.

Edit: Turns out my screen already arrived! Official first successful SMD build ever!!! So happy right now.

木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:41 am

nice work!
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cloudscapes » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:57 pm

ohhh nice! love the oled!
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fever606 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:22 pm

I can't even fathom trying to solder SMD or I'd have a go at the O_c. The new Magpie panel is :love:
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Strange Tales » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:32 pm

fever606 wrote:I can't even fathom trying to solder SMD or I'd have a go at the O_c. The new Magpie panel is :love:

It's on the much easier side of SMD soldering, I'd give it a shot. The only hard thing is the DAC8852 chip. It's not like you're soldering a SMT32 or anything (which I'm now a beautiful 0/3 for :facepalm: )

It's all 0805, so all the pieces aren't that small. I'd definitely give it a whirl if you have previous soldering experience and want to try SMD out. I heard that either Magpie or Modular Addict is looking at doing PCBs, but you could also try contacting the MX dude on Muff for a PCB.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fever606 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Strange Tales wrote:It's on the much easier side of SMD soldering, I'd give it a shot. The only hard thing is the DAC8852 chip. It's not like you're soldering a SMT32 or anything (which I'm now a beautiful 0/3 for :facepalm: )

It's all 0805, so all the pieces aren't that small. I'd definitely give it a whirl if you have previous soldering experience and want to try SMD out. I heard that either Magpie or Modular Addict is looking at doing PCBs, but you could also try contacting the MX dude on Muff for a PCB.

I can't be trusted with tweezers... :lol: I'm pretty competent with through-hole stuff, but I've stared at enough 0805 to know that I'd just screw it up...

But yeah, Magpie is doing a pre-order run of PCBs... I'm tempted to grab one and then sort out finding someone with SMD skills to bring it to fruition... Because damn...

fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Strange Tales » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:09 pm

I mean, if you really really don't want to do it yourself hit me up and I'll do one for you. I managed to do that one I posted there by hand, but I'm going to order a Hot Air station soon because I'm tired of fucking up Mutable builds. I swear those STM32 pins are made of paper with how easy they just bend away.

But yea, shoot me a PM and we can work something out.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:05 pm

Yeah we actually just got a small hot air oven at work for doing some prototype boards so I don't have to solder sub 603 stuff haha. I wanna try and do some efx boards at somepoint.. Only annoying thing is it seems you got to "mess with the recipe" depending on the board size/components so you may damage some stuff in the process if you have complex stuff going on but I think for simple stuff there's no issues.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:22 am

Strange Tales wrote:I swear those STM32 pins are made of paper with how easy they just bend away.

they are not made of paper. trained professionals have no problem soldering them by hand. they are well engineered for assembly by machine. IC manufacturers have spent more money testing one chip and setting up the fab than mutable instruments will ever make in eurorack in a lifetime. ST probably does not care about eurorack or hand assembly. that is why ST sells development boards. there is also a trend of through hole DIY versions of MI modules. look for that.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:24 am

Jokes aren't your thing, huh?
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects