Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby Bassus Sanguinis » Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 pm

:love:
:::: Metal up Yöur Jazz! with FUZZIFERblack psychedelic doom ::::
Ugly Nora wrote:It's a sad day when Bassus Sanguinis becomes the voice of reason. :lol:
Bassus Sanguinis

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Faldoe » Sun May 24, 2015 6:48 pm

dminner wrote:Thanks man!

Here is sneak peak at some new stuff:

Can you point the way to some etching tutorials? And what software do you use to make the designs? So awesome.
Faldoe

Postby resincum » Mon May 25, 2015 9:50 am

^ have you checked out Jwar's tutorial? it's like a 3 or 4 part series. pretty informative
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dminner » Mon May 25, 2015 11:04 am

Faldoe wrote:
dminner wrote:Thanks man!

Here is sneak peak at some new stuff:

Can you point the way to some etching tutorials? And what software do you use to make the designs? So awesome.

Thanks man. This is was the tutorial that got me started:

http://diy-guitar-effects.tumblr.com/etching
dminner

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Tue May 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Some new fuzzies:

Foxx Tone Machine
RAT
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dminner » Tue May 26, 2015 2:14 pm

So awesome! I especially like the Rat
dminner

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby DADGBD » Tue May 26, 2015 2:18 pm

HFS

"DIY projects" my ass. I lobby to have this thread re-titled: THE NEW STANDARD
I wish the big boys were making pedals half as sexy!

:group:
DADGBD

experienced
experienced

Postby hbombgraphics » Tue May 26, 2015 2:42 pm

that tone machine is the best

laowiz does such sick work
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mathias » Tue May 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Taught my brother to solder and he built up an opamp muff:

(Sadly, the black knobs didn't work on the pot shafts, and when we used the little #1900-style fluted cream knobs, one of the set screws stripped out, so it has this odd knob combo)

I built up a Madbean Flabulanche but I used the wrong JFETs for the gain stages and it doesn't sound very good. Waiting for some 2n5457s and a J201 to get here from my parts place and then it'll get finished up. I should've got some knobs for this one, too.. oh well.

The Flabulanche was supposed to be in this cool little black sparkle case but it didn't all fit with the 3-way toggle switch, so this will probably become a Foxx Tone Machine (because I have the Madbean PCB laying around) So instead the Flabulanche went into the big box green sparkle blemished case above.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ran_dizolph » Tue May 26, 2015 9:50 pm

Dammit! I thought I had sworn off acid etching once and for all, but you talented folks have reignited the flame!
ran_dizolph

involved
involved

Postby KaosCill8r » Tue May 26, 2015 10:18 pm

I'd like to give etching a try. But is it dangerous using them chemicals? I'm a bit clumsy. And also are there pens or markers that I can use to had draw the images I want to etch instead of the laser printed etching tranfer?
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby bob the r0bot » Tue May 26, 2015 10:33 pm

There are conductive pens that you could theoretically use to draw one out on some insulating board, but I don't think they're intended for use much beyond drawing short jumpers, so I don't know how well they'd hold up.
soundcloud................https://soundcloud.com/datingsite
My vanity label.............https://newemotive.bandcamp.com/releases (new stuff added 12/4/16)

Check out my rack.........https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/178913
kusherment wrote:Weed is kushed by hitting other weed.
bob the r0bot

Supporter
Supporter

Postby LaoWiz » Tue May 26, 2015 10:53 pm

Dudes! Acid etching is the shit!

All you need is a 50 dollar laser printer, some HP glossy presentation paper, photoshop or similar, an iron, a good respirator, a sanding block with 220grit wet/dry paper, some nice rubber gloves and some supplies. And it's better to do sober as I have stains all over my place.

I tried to do a vid tutorial awhile back but was too drunk. jwar's is good to check out. Once you get hang of doing transfers with the iron and do some trials you just get better at it like anything else. Do it, I'm sure many of us could chime in for troubleshooting/questions.
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Wed May 27, 2015 10:18 am

Thanks for the plug. lol

My tutorial is VERY long. I don't like doing acid etching anymore, but admire it from afar. It's too much for me. I am tired of the chemicals. Plus a laser is so much more fun. lol

I do admire the shit out of you guys doing it though. I for one know it's not easy.

I have extra paper too that works magic...;)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby culturejam » Sun May 31, 2015 11:43 pm

It's been a LONG time since I fully boxed up a pedal. I've built a shitload of boards lately, but nothing has made it all the way into a box in quite some time. I also recently got a vinyl plotter, so I wanted to see how it would work as a way to fancy up a pedal. Turns out it works pretty good for some things.

So the circuit is one of my all-time favorites. The good old Bazz Fuss, but with some built-in mods and a board-mounted footswitch. I put in parallel switching input cap and clipping diode selector. This would be a really great beginner project in 125B, as it is very tight for top-mount jacks in a 1590B. Or maybe two in a larger box would be fun (get your octave on). I original did this layout for BLMS, but we sort of dropped the ball on the project a few months back. Maybe it will show up as a product there soon, or maybe not.

So the vinyl worked great for larger text, but I ran into issues when trying to cut the control lettering. Might be that my blade has gotten dull from all the work I've been doing. But either way, I just ran with what worked. To protect the vinyl, I did three light coats of Mod Podge. I'm not crazy about textured look, but I didn't have the proper non-solvent clear coat spray on hand. Regular clear coat melts the vinyl.

The damn diode selector isn't working like it should, so I need to debug a bit. I made some last-minute changes mid-build and didn't have a way to test until it was complete. Input cap switch is great, however. From tight to wooly. Sounds great with humbuckers.

These guts are not pretty. I don't have much of an excuse except that I'm very, very lazy, and my main focus was testing the graphics. It works and is sturdy, it just isn't artistic. :cool:

And here you can see the crosshatch strokes of the Mod Podge.

Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects