Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby Hexjibber » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:17 pm

A concoction of my own, I call it the Doom Face!

It’s a COT50 (acting as a sort of pre gain/boost) going into a silicon Fuzz Face (Q1 - MPSA13 Darlington / Q2 - BC108) that then goes into a Stratoblaster to push the amp input stage harder.

Also put a rotary input tone cap switch on the FF to dial in extra low end (goes up to 10u) and also more gain. Big caps all round for max low end. The result is a massive saturated wall of fuzz, perfect for dooming up!

Heavily inspired by Nick @Dunwich Amps who also gave me some tips on how to doom out a Fuzz Face, nice one!

All Fuzz Dog boards, box etched with Caustic as per norm. I also used the font from the game Doom for extra doom. Doom.

Hexjibber

interested
interested

Postby wildebelor » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Saw this on tumblr, so in awe man. absolutely excellent.
I want to hear some sound clips!
wildebelor

Supporter
Supporter

Postby eatyourguitar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Hexjibber wrote:Doom Face!

I love it!
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:05 am

Hexjibber wrote:A concoction of my own, I call it the Doom Face!

It’s a COT50 (acting as a sort of pre gain/boost) going into a silicon Fuzz Face (Q1 - MPSA13 Darlington / Q2 - BC108) that then goes into a Stratoblaster to push the amp input stage harder.

Also put a rotary input tone cap switch on the FF to dial in extra low end (goes up to 10u) and also more gain. Big caps all round for max low end. The result is a massive saturated wall of fuzz, perfect for dooming up!

Heavily inspired by Nick @Dunwich Amps who also gave me some tips on how to doom out a Fuzz Face, nice one!

All Fuzz Dog boards, box etched with Caustic as per norm. I also used the font from the game Doom for extra doom. Doom.

Dat etch, The lines in the beard. Awesome!
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:20 am

Hexjibber wrote: Doom !
doom!

doom!

Doom for extra doom. Doom.

:doom:

Need demos.
NAOW!
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby wildebelor » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:19 am

Just whipped this destroyer up for a guy who runs a pretty interesting rig.
No bass player in his band so he cops all the responsibility for low end!
Needless to say, I sorted him out with a boosted Sonic Violence.
wildebelor

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MaggotBrainNY » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:31 pm

wildebelor wrote:Saw this on tumblr, so in awe man. absolutely excellent.
I want to hear some sound clips!

totes clips.
MaggotBrainNY

committed
committed

Postby Zork » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Demo of the doom face por favor cabron! I want to hear it in all its glory!
Zork

committed
committed

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:29 am

Here is my fourth take on the MusicPCB Tap Tempo Tremolo / Gigatrem

This was a bitch to get rid of the tick, dont think ive totally managed it to be frank.
It only affects the ramp, which you can avoid by selecting triangle and wave distort it for the same sound, the square wave and random

I decided this time to do the "resistor string on rotary dial"
If I were to do this again Id probably skip a few modes with the correct resistor values for convenience sake.
I have no plans for this other than to probably pass it to my cousins husband who was asking me about trems a while ago.
He likes classic sine wave trem, so the tick on teh square and ramps wouldnt bother him as I doubt he would use those modes

The other thing I did new for this build was add a small momentary multiplier step switch which skips the rate set by the tap tempo through various subdivisions. neat!

Enjoy pics

Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:54 am

Nice build. You said you are gifting this one, but... if you are selling those, I hope that you have Tom's permission to use the TAPLFO for commercial purposes. This is especially true if you are burning the PICs yourself, and not buying them from Taylor or Smallbear.

I designed the original trems using his chips (including the one you just built, and the one Taylor sells), and Tom(ElectricDruid) spent a lot of time making the chip for the DIY community. He deserves his fair share if his code is used in a commercial product. :)

Mike
My diy pedal blog: Just one more build...
Mike

committed
committed

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Mike wrote:Nice build. You said you are gifting this one, but... if you are selling those, I hope that you have Tom's permission to use the TAPLFO for commercial purposes. This is especially true if you are burning the PICs yourself, and not buying them from Taylor or Smallbear.

I designed the original trems using his chips (including the one you just built, and the one Taylor sells), and Tom(ElectricDruid) spent a lot of time making the chip for the DIY community. He deserves his fair share if his code is used in a commercial product. :)

Mike

Hi

Thanks for your concern.
This is the 4th one I built, and as you can see, the PCB comes from Taylor, as does the chip. Therefore the code is "Paid for".
The three others I made were not commercial builds. I made one for myself, then two friends tried it and wanted me to build them one also. So all very in the spirit of DIY. I only use my own graphics and logo out of a bit of vanity and consistency, in case they end up being resold and people want to know who built them originally.

The only vaguely "commercial" stuff I do (ie for some profit, to allow me to buy other "commercial" pedals, or more DIY supplies) are Lovetone, for which I have permission for all PCBs I use which I didnt generate myself, and beleive it or not approval from the guy who originally designed them (!)

Best regards

Ian
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Cool, Ian. I figured it was the case. :D

It's a nice build. I like the idea of the multiplier switch. I assume you used the "Next multiplier" input. Does it somehow automatically switch back to the original tempo, or do you have to cycle through?

Also, I don't remember what Taylor specs for the cap that goes across the output side of the opamp (330p maybe?). Upping that reduces ticking, but also softens the waveshapes. I think I ended up at 1n in my build, and 1n5 was the upper limit of usefulness.

If you ever want to make a non-tap version, I have a some VCLFO9D (precursor to the Taplfo), and an etchable and easy to build single-sided board that you could use. It's exactly like the Taplfo, but no tap.

Mike
My diy pedal blog: Just one more build...
Mike

committed
committed

Postby wildebelor » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:06 pm

A peek at one of the new effects about to drop!
wildebelor

Supporter
Supporter

Postby noisekickfx » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:28 pm

My latest custom build. "Old Gregg" combing the sounds of an underwater swamp cave with DA FUNK! (reverb + autowah).

Demo video:
http://youtu.be/7H1AewCiK2I
noisekickfx

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby imJonWain » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:35 pm

does it have a man-gina and creamy baileys?
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects