TGD Build! Ask yo motherfuckin' questions here!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: TGD Build! Ask yo motherfuckin' questions here!

Postby johnnie1616 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm still fighting it. I re-wired the LED the other way around and that works now but it is still sounding funky. Its all staticy and when I turn the knobs I don't get all the sounds I have heard in demos, it just sorta cuts out. I can get some fuzz but only when everything is turned up.
johnnie1616

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Jero » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Check to make sure you've got the right values in the right spots...make sure caps/transistors/ic's are oriented properly...check your grounds...post a picture?
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:33 pm

pics?????
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby fiddelerselbow » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:11 pm

What's the value of the resistor connected to the LED? My kit didn't have one in it.
fiddelerselbow

experienced
experienced

Postby Jero » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:33 pm

fiddelerselbow wrote:What's the value of the resistor connected to the LED? My kit didn't have one in it.

doesn't matter too much, anything around 1k-10k will be fine

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sleepy_monkey » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:03 pm

I have mine all put together but having trouble with the IC and the socket. The IC has 16 legs and the socket only has 14 spots for the legs....so 2 legs will be hanging at the end not touching anything. I tried it each way with the legs overhanging and neither worked. Pedal powers on, LED works and when the pedal is engaged the volume works and that is it. I can't figure the IC out. I emailed Dwarfcraft bc all the pics here seem like the sockets are for 16 pins but mine are not.
sleepy_monkey

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby fuzzmax » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:06 pm

sleepy_monkey wrote:I have mine all put together but having trouble with the IC and the socket. The IC has 16 legs and the socket only has 14 spots for the legs....so 2 legs will be hanging at the end not touching anything. I tried it each way with the legs overhanging and neither worked. Pedal powers on, LED works and when the pedal is engaged the volume works and that is it. I can't figure the IC out. I emailed Dwarfcraft bc all the pics here seem like the sockets are for 16 pins but mine are not.

you don't have to use the socket for the ic though it is safier to prevent the ic from overheat. just be sure to solder it the right way because removing an ic is practically impossible to do without damaging it or damaging the pcb.
fuzzmax

experienced
experienced

Postby johnnie1616 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Sorry it took so long for pics, I couldn't find my camera. I don't have a resitor on the LED but it's working fine now(I had it wired the wrong way around the first time). I also swapped one of the connecting wires to a pot because it was to short. I am pretty convinced it is a bad wiring job on my part but I don't really know how to isolate exactly where the problem is. It sonds like something isn't grounded right to me because when I touch the components and the side of the enclosure the crazy unwanted stuff goes away. But I don't know anything about how pedals work so I could be way off base.

johnnie1616

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby johnnie1616 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Oh, and wanted to mention, I got a socket with 14 prongs as well but I bought one with 16 at Radioshack for $.97
johnnie1616

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Officer Bukowski » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Maybe try tightening your jacks and switch
I make pedals. SHARK TANK
Officer Bukowski

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sleepy_monkey » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm

johnnie1616 wrote:Oh, and wanted to mention, I got a socket with 14 prongs as well but I bought one with 16 at Radioshack for $.97

So all 16 prongs need to be touching the PCB? Maybe it just wasn't engaging the effect since it isn't soldered in? I just didn't want to have to solder 16 prongs and then have to unsolder.
sleepy_monkey

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Jero » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 pm

The ic has 16 legs, you need a 16 leg socket. Yes all 16 need to be touching the pcb. I wouldn't try using effects that don't have all their parts in place, as this could cause even more trouble. After the socket is soldered in, you can remove/replace the ic as needed. Sockets are useful because you don't have to solder the IC (which could harm it), you can rotate the IC if you put it in backwards, or you can try other IC's for various tonal changes, etc.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fiddelerselbow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Jero wrote:
fiddelerselbow wrote:What's the value of the resistor connected to the LED? My kit didn't have one in it.

doesn't matter too much, anything around 1k-10k will be fine

Cheers!
fiddelerselbow

experienced
experienced

Postby sleepy_monkey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:18 pm

Jero wrote:The ic has 16 legs, you need a 16 leg socket. Yes all 16 need to be touching the pcb. I wouldn't try using effects that don't have all their parts in place, as this could cause even more trouble. After the socket is soldered in, you can remove/replace the ic as needed. Sockets are useful because you don't have to solder the IC (which could harm it), you can rotate the IC if you put it in backwards, or you can try other IC's for various tonal changes, etc.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the input. I contacted Dwarfcraft and they are going to send out a new socket. The Radio Shack close to my house sucks and they rarely have anything that I need.
sleepy_monkey

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Jero » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Unfortuately Radio Shack is not the DIY haven it was some years ago. Decent selection of cell phones though :facepalm: ...to be fair, they make more money selling electronics rather than parts of electronics.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects