DIY links, gear recommendations

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby McSpunckle » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:04 pm

McSpunckle wrote:This thing is awesome and everyone should own one:

P1010658.jpg

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10410

It's tiny, operates smoothly, and the vacuum base is WAY strong. I've been using the little vise from Harbor Freight, but this is way better.

The only issue with it is that it's mostly plastic. Some more critical bits are metal (the screw and pins the jaws move on and the clamp that locks the head in place), but it doesn't really seem cheap, unless you're the type that thinks everything plastic feels cheap. The only reason it bothers me is that a soldering iron can melt the plastic jaws if you hold it on them.

But yeah. If you do a lot of soldering, grab one. You'll be glad you did. Way better than soldering on your desk or in a 3rd hand.

And update on the Panavise.

They sell these neoprene (synthetic rubber) jaw pads that are -great.- They're only a few bucks. They won't melt when the soldering iron touches them, and they're squishy, so they hold circuits boards really well.

With those, this thing is -perfect.-

http://www.amazon.com/Panavise-204-Pana ... 188&sr=1-1

Mouser has them too. You'll have to search "Panavise 204", but they're there.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:25 pm

http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-Model-20 ... 065&sr=8-1

bolt on Panavise Jr. for $22.08 free shipping. I don't like the suction cup on the spark fun anyway.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby greeny23 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:54 pm

cheapest international 3pdt's i've found.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360356696672 ... 470wt_1037

not half bad, never had one break on me.
greeny23

experienced
experienced

Postby McSpunckle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-Model-201-Junior-Miniature/dp/B000B61D22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321903065&sr=8-1

bolt on Panavise Jr. for $22.08 free shipping. I don't like the suction cup on the spark fun anyway.

I've been meaning to buy a second vise for when I need to hold a couple of things at once...

How heavy is the base? If it's too light it'll fall over when desoldering. The suction base on the other one works really well so long as its clean, so it's not really an issue with it.

Too, the vacuum one can hold things at a lower angle... which is worth noting for high desks.

ANYWAYS, what I really came to this thread for.

Cheap oscilloscope. Like, the DSO nano/quad. Fucking incredible for troubleshooting. You can feed a signal into the input, and find exactly where in the circuit your problem is. You may want a cheap signal generator too.. the DSO quad has one, which I use, but it's like 3V and you can't adjust the voltage. Accuracy isn't really an issue here, so there's no reason to spend much-- it's just really helpful.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:20 am

http://www.saelig.com/product/PSHA026.htm
$50 scope for the breadboard

heres another useful $50 gadget
this is pretty cool if you actually care about getting accurate readings on current consumption
http://www.eevblog.com/projects/ucurrent/
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby John Lyons » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Fudge! That Oscilloscope is nuts!
John Lyons

committed
committed

Postby Jero » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:37 pm

I might have to get one of those scopes. That seems really cool.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Officer Bukowski » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:59 pm

Can anyone recommend me some spraypaint that adheres to metal well and dries with a cool texture? Like a hammerite type thing? And the more durable the better of course.

Could anyone also recommend some fairly inexpensive drill bits that I could use to drill enclosures with a hand drill?
I make pedals. SHARK TANK
Officer Bukowski

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:18 am

Officer Bukowski wrote:Can anyone recommend me some spraypaint that adheres to metal well and dries with a cool texture? Like a hammerite type thing? And the more durable the better of course.
Could anyone also recommend some fairly inexpensive drill bits that I could use to drill enclosures with a hand drill?

It's all about prepping and priming the enclosure properly. The cans will say what they work best with...I usually stick with rusto products. You could spend a little more money on graffiti specific paint, like Montana, that would prob work really well. I just painted a slant enclosure with rusto hammer finish.

By hand drill do you mean hand drill...
89B0401.jpg
89B0401.jpg (12.63 KiB) Viewed 24583 times

or an electric drill?

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Officer Bukowski » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:43 am

How do you go about prepping? Just a bit of sanding and cleaning?

Haha yeah I mean like a handheld electric drill. I had the image of one of those in my mind when I typed that though haha. Those things suck to use..
Officer Bukowski

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:57 am

Officer Bukowski wrote:How do you go about prepping? Just a bit of sanding and cleaning?

Yea rough up the box, then get it nice and clean. I really don't like painting boxes...takes too long, conditions have to be right, etc, never know just how cured the clear coat really is until you've already scratched it :facepalm: ...not always though.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Officer Bukowski » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:00 am

Yeah, spray painting things usually just leads to frustration for me, but lately it seems pretty promising and I want to try some different finishes ya know?

Got any pics of that slant enclosure? Is it gonna get filled with some sweet ptp goodness?
Officer Bukowski

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:04 am

Officer Bukowski wrote:Yeah, spray painting things usually just leads to frustration for me, but lately it seems pretty promising and I want to try some different finishes ya know? Got any pics of that slant enclosure? Is it gonna get filled with some sweet ptp goodness?

Oh I know, haha, I'm doing a combination of powder coating and spray painting on some coming projects. I'll send you a pic of the box tomorrow, after I get the clear coats done. Going to be a NOS fuzz face (red dot ac128's, pnp) with bias. Got the board from PigeonFX.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Officer Bukowski » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 am

Sickkk

I'm gonna have to check out PigeonFx cause I want to build a Bender.
Officer Bukowski

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby McSpunckle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:53 am

Officer Bukowski wrote:Can anyone recommend me some spraypaint that adheres to metal well and dries with a cool texture? Like a hammerite type thing? And the more durable the better of course.

Just go out to to the hardware store and pick up a drill bit set. Make sure it says "metal" on it somewhere. Things made just for wood obviously hate being used in metal, but it seems most drill bits are for both except a few specific types.

Harbor Freight sells a cheap step bit set that I've been using, too... the Irwin unibit was too long to use with my drill press, and these cheaper bits seem to work just as well. Smallbear sells the same bit, but it's more expensive and there's only one (the most useful one). If you're getting a step bit, you want one that does 1/8" - 1/2" in 1/32" intervals.

Also, I highly recommend investing in even a cheap drill press if you can. It's amazing how much of a difference they make.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects