DIY links, gear recommendations

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby rnagoda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:32 am

What about Mr. CultureJam's store? http://www.forrestwhitesides.com/shop/index.php

For pcbs: http://www.guitarpcb.com

For parts http://www.effectsconnection.com is also pretty good.

godofthegrove wrote:How long does it usually take to make most pedals????
How much electrical experience do you need?

The time needed depends on an awful lot, like your experience and comfort level, as well as the type of build you are doing. If you have a PCB and it's an easy enough circuit, even a new builder can put something together in a couple hours. Of course as things get more complex that stretches your build time out significantly.

As for electrical experience, the basic answer is 'none.' You are working with 9 volts, and if you had no experience I assume you would be working from a kit or a solid instruction set, and typically these don't ask you to do any formulation - you put the resistor where it tells you and solder it in. If you've never soldered anything before then pick up a circuit board out of a trashed clock radio or something and practice de-soldering and re-soldering components a bit so you can get the hang of it without ruining your project in the process.
rnagoda

interested
interested

Postby McSpunckle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:47 pm

http://weicowire.com/specpage.asp?nGroupID=40

Just got a spool of this stuff, and it looks pretty great. It's military spec pre-bond wire. Mil spec has a thinner jacket so it looks nicer. Also seems to not melt so bad.

They also have all sorts of other wire and heat shrink tubing. The only thing is, you gotta buy a lot of it, and I think they require a company name at check out. You can pay with a credit card, so I bet they don't even check... maybe email them and see.

They have RG-147U (thin shielded wire) in the coax section for cheaper than I've been able to find it elsewhere.

Also, Mammoth Electronics is pretty awesome-- even if it is just an estore of the 4Site catalog.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nbabmf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:24 pm

I've been using this Velleman wiring pack with 10 colors, but I think I need to take the plunge on on some nice spools of wire that doesn't have magic melting insulation haha.

I love the smell of solder in the morning.

Successful dealings with: blooghost, starcastic, bronzetalon, theavondon, absent, jero, sevenSHARPnine, magiclawnchair, oldangelmidnight, and others that I can't remember lol
nbabmf

experienced
experienced

Postby peps1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Just Seen that The Peak Atlas DCA has had it price slashed on their main site

Anyone who doesn't know what the Peak is, its a pocket size transistor testing demigod!

Just connect the leads (in any order) and scroll though for he component type, component pinout, gain, leakage current, gate threshold voltages, volt drops etc...

(disclaimer: Im not affiliated in any way with Peak Electronics, just a happy customer who has just snapped one up at a new cheap price of £41, they are still going for double that on ebay)
peps1

committed
committed

Postby elbandito » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:22 am

Craig Anderton's "Electronic Projects For Musicians" - The book that got many of today's most popular builder's started.

TORRENT: http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/160246157/craig+anderton?tab=summary
superheavyFUNK
Fuzczk & F!zz

I am ELBAN, THE TROLL SLAYER!!!!
- fide fuzz semper fidelis - ILF downtime 2011 on FB veteran

hey, i'm cool! follow me on twitter: @ricardo_bandito
elbandito

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby nbabmf » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:53 am

peps1 wrote:Just Seen that The Peak Atlas DCA has had it price slashed on their main site

I picked one up a couple weeks ago. It ended up being something like $63 shipped to my door, from the UK to the USA.

I love the smell of solder in the morning.

Successful dealings with: blooghost, starcastic, bronzetalon, theavondon, absent, jero, sevenSHARPnine, magiclawnchair, oldangelmidnight, and others that I can't remember lol
nbabmf

experienced
experienced

Postby Jero » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:54 am

^damn I need to get on that while they're cheap. Who knows how long it'll last. Only reason I don't have one of each of the peak's already was the cost.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rnagoda » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:29 pm

nbabmf wrote:
peps1 wrote:Just Seen that The Peak Atlas DCA has had it price slashed on their main site

I picked one up a couple weeks ago. It ended up being something like $63 shipped to my door, from the UK to the USA.

Nice. Well worth it at twice the price . . . which is about what I paid. Dammit. I hope the price cuts aren't an act of desperation - I hear these are some cool kids who run this place and they definitely put out a good product.
rnagoda

interested
interested

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:50 am

thankyou post posting the DCA. I thought a tester for transistor gain would be like $300 to $500. that just shows how useless a 10 year old electronics book can be. I am totally copping one of these. then I'm a go crazy with the fuzz pedals.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:39 am

WOW! I just read through all of this and clicked 90% of the links. I think I am WAY too stupid to build my own pedal. You guys are awesome. :thumb:
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby veteransdaypoppy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:36 pm

jwar wrote:WOW! I just read through all of this and clicked 90% of the links. I think I am WAY too stupid to build my own pedal. You guys are awesome. :thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's easier than you think, bud!
well i guess, but i just don't know.

dollys
veteransdaypoppy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D-Rainger » Tue May 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Just thought I'd add, if you're UK-based, http://www.mutr.co.uk is great. Small selection, but kind of weird, and very cheap.
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby dadniayesa » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 pm

D-Rainger wrote:Just thought I'd add, if you're UK-based, http://www.mutr.co.uk is great. Small selection, but kind of weird, and very cheap.

Thanks for the recommending this, i might go and try this. i hope this is really cheap.
dadniayesa

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby McSpunckle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:38 pm

This thing is awesome and everyone should own one:

P1010658.jpg

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10410

It's tiny, operates smoothly, and the vacuum base is WAY strong. I've been using the little vise from Harbor Freight, but this is way better.

The only issue with it is that it's mostly plastic. Some more critical bits are metal (the screw and pins the jaws move on and the clamp that locks the head in place), but it doesn't really seem cheap, unless you're the type that thinks everything plastic feels cheap. The only reason it bothers me is that a soldering iron can melt the plastic jaws if you hold it on them.

But yeah. If you do a lot of soldering, grab one. You'll be glad you did. Way better than soldering on your desk or in a 3rd hand.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Rygot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:07 am

^ I may need to pick one of those up, however, I'd probably end up melting it... I feel like I would have already if mine wasn't metal.

Anyone have any experience with the dremel drill press thing?
Rygot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects