Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby adamajah » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Paul_C wrote:I'm going to spend some time working on finishes, but not right now ;)

Two new pedals completed and apart from one missed wire, both worked first time, much to my delight :)

Clari(Not)

Rattle Crow

Yeah I dig that stamped look, and dem knobs !

The guts are pretty clean too. Nice work dude
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby frodog » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Paul your finishes are good already, that lettering looks awesome! I've built a Clari(not) but curious how you like the Rattle Crow, considering trying that on.

Crochambeau as always killing it with no graphics. That thing seems really fun to experiment with as well, heck I'd buy it even with plastic jacks :animal:

I just crammed a Ross distortion (Fuzz Central Liquid drive) and a Zippy fuzz into a 125B. Had a hunch these guys would make good boxmates and they do! Tonally they are similar, two sides of a coin, so switching between a rhythm/lead sound is not jarring. Zippy (first) is like the smooth caterpillar with only some fine spikes, Ross is the more hairy one that can boost and add some diode clipping. Those were the last three (save one) of the GAY Ge diodes btw, managed to break as many before bending them to stand up... TL062 op-amp. Fucking punk rock looooove, count me as a fan of this type of distortion from now on.

Zippy I had built before, this one just has some different caps (one silver mica) and a few slightly dropped resistor values. Sounds pretty much the same, but yet to compare. I love this circuit too, always end up playing jazzier stuff pretending to be a trumpet when it's on. And oh, that's not actual lumps of dogshit around the boards haha, just brown Sugru rubber for some extra support, it hardens and sticks well but can be cut away easily in case.
Paintjob was riddled with love/hate stages but at peace with it now.

zip_ross_in.jpg
zip_ross.jpg
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:17 pm

@frodog - Your aesthetic is killer! Your guts are getting cleaner and cleaner too! Please buy an axoloti or rasperry pie or some shit!
[INSERT RICHARD SIMMONS GIF OF SOME SORT]
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:21 pm

That texture is killer @frodog!
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks, I appreciate it! Your Catrina Engineering boxes look amazing, hope to procure one some day.

$harkToootth wrote:@frodog - Your aesthetic is killer! Your guts are getting cleaner and cleaner too! Please buy an axoloti or rasperry pie or some shit!
[INSERT RICHARD SIMMONS GIF OF SOME SORT]

Many thanks! I do want to keep leveling up, but I also like the wabi-sabi and open-endedness of vero and offboard wiring.
Not sure I'll be ready for custom-manufacture PCBs and programming for a while yet, though I harbor some curiosity..

frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:31 am

frodog wrote:Not sure I'll be ready for custom-manufacture PCBs and programming for a while yet, though I harbor some curiosity..

The cool thing about drawing your own PCBs is that you can make them as open ended as you like.

There will be a library or function map headache built in with whatever software you choose, but once you digest workarounds laying out PCBs is a lot like playing puzzle games.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Paul_C » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Thank you for the kind words :)

In light of that I've decided to take the recent finishes as the start point rather than just a place-holder and just tweak things to make the design repeatable.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frodog » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:17 pm

crochambeau wrote:
frodog wrote:Not sure I'll be ready for custom-manufacture PCBs and programming for a while yet, though I harbor some curiosity..

The cool thing about drawing your own PCBs is that you can make them as open ended as you like.

There will be a library or function map headache built in with whatever software you choose, but once you digest workarounds laying out PCBs is a lot like playing puzzle games.

You're so right now that I think about it. Vero is more immediate I should say, but more limited unless you leave room for expansion.

I can sort of grasp that last sentence, but I have absolutely no experience with software libraries, and function maps... I just will assume that's exactly what it sounds like. Will definitely read up on such things but I don't really enjoy working on a computer at all, so that would be an adjustment in any case.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:24 pm

I use KiCad. It's open source, and as far as I know, works across platforms. Loads of tutorials online...

It's a lot like photoshop, you can dig in really deep, but that's not required for a lot of operations.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:32 pm

Well I tried installing KiCad and it's a no go. Basically my Linux-running PC is stuck on an older version of Ubuntu, so certain programs won't work. I'm not even savvy enough to manually install, so yeah..

However I do have Fritzing, which works and seems pretty easy. Haven't had it for long but I'm planning to use that to layout a couple small circuits off my breadboard soon.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:14 pm

you look look into DIptrace, they have a decent free version. I'm on EAGLE but trying to force myself into Kicad.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:07 pm

frodog wrote:Well I tried installing KiCad and it's a no go. Basically my Linux-running PC is stuck on an older version of Ubuntu

How old a version? I'm running xfce (ubuntu studio) in the shop, and standard ubuntu in the house and have been running KiCad on both machines for years. So, it's doable at some point. I'm a bit out of date as well, running 4.0.7 KiCad (on the xfce machine, I'd have to check the other one - which I would guess is even older), I see they are at 5.1.4 now. I'm not getting urged to update, so there might be a reason..

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:28 pm

I'm on 15.04. Every time it tries to update there's an error with the avidemux file(s) and I haven't had luck with updating that either. So Fritzing is the only layout/PCB design software I've found that works in these conditions. I have a newer/blank used PC sitting around though, so as soon as I get that running things might change.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Finished the Pixel, it's ok but I might experiment with some different transistors to see what else might be possible (I routinely fit sockets now).

Last edited by Paul_C on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Shoe is the brand name btw ;)
I dig the Pixel, it's a fun fuzz, and it gets marvelously rippy
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects