A First Shot at Experimental Music

Moderator: Ghost Hip

A First Shot at Experimental Music

Postby Lurker13 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Since joining, I’ve listened to a lot of ILFers’ music, much of which I have enjoyed. This led me to an epiphany this weekend. For a long time now, everything I’ve played on guitar has sounded like SOSDD rock/heavy metal noodling, and I realized I need something different, a different way to express myself beyond the limitations of conventional music. So Sunday I felt inspired enough to take a shot at something experimental, and this is the result.
Let me know what you think (please and thank you) – the good, the bad, the ugly, I can take it.

http://soundcloud.com/user-201139991/tracks
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: A First Shot at Experimental Music

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:41 pm

I dug it!

I think one thing you might want to keep in mind is that in music like this, you're going to want to focus more on the evolution of the tones and textures than you would in a 'normal' song (I kind of hate the phrase 'experimental music' but I get the idea behind it), so one thing you might want to try on your next go-around would be adjusting the delay you're using to be a little more dynamic /not just a variation on Clapton's White Room wah -- that same sort of heel/toe quarter note chop, if you will is essentially what defines this piece, and it's more commanding than a lot of the instrumentation (at least through laptop speakers, which is not ideal listening for this sort of stuff, obviously).

What sort of space where you imagining when you came up with this piece?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:59 pm

D.o.S. wrote:I dug it!

I think one thing you might want to keep in mind is that in music like this, you're going to want to focus more on the evolution of the tones and textures than you would in a 'normal' song (I kind of hate the phrase 'experimental music' but I get the idea behind it), so one thing you might want to try on your next go-around would be adjusting the delay you're using to be a little more dynamic /not just a variation on Clapton's White Room wah -- that same sort of heel/toe quarter note chop, if you will is essentially what defines this piece, and it's more commanding than a lot of the instrumentation (at least through laptop speakers, which is not ideal listening for this sort of stuff, obviously).

What sort of space where you imagining when you came up with this piece?

Oh wow, thanks!

I didn't know what to call it besides 'experimental', it didn't exactly seem like a drone.

The idea of Clapton's White Room wah, that's interesting, it never occurred to me. I haven't listened to it in years, but it could have been welling up from my unconscious. I guess I just felt like the rhythm was kind of driving, so I flowed with it. But I get what you are saying. Next time will be different. The last thing I want to do now is get formulaic.

So, what kind of space was I imagining...well I wasn't, really, I just thought I would try this out. It was all improvised. But I do believe Jung's theory that all creativity comes from the unconscious mind, so the dark, mysterious inner space of symbolism and emotion is always lurking just beneath the surface.

I really appreciate you taking time to listen and offer such detailed comments, thanks much. :hello:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:20 pm

No probs dude. The Clapton thing was just the first thing I went to since I'm a Cream nerd -- also keep in mind that I'm just one listener, so that's exactly the breadth of the worth of the feedback.

And yeah, I'm with you on 'experimental', I just have a thing against adjective as genre descriptions. It's sort of like how "Prog" evokes 70's concept records -- that's not progressive at all!
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:20 pm

I didn't get a chance to listen to the whole thing yet. I guess I am going to offer a counterpoint to DOS. I thought the delay added a nice pulse that reminded me of an insane rave going on a long ways away. Or like you're passed out on the dance floor and the party is going on around you.

DOS is much better at music than I am.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:39 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:I didn't get a chance to listen to the whole thing yet. I guess I am going to offer a counterpoint to DOS. I thought the delay added a nice pulse that reminded me of an insane rave going on a long ways away. Or like you're passed out on the dance floor and the party is going on around you.

DOS is much better at music than I am.

Thanks Jonny, I appreciate the feedback (no pun intended...well, sort of). And the underlined part of your description was awesome. :lol: :thumb:
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:33 pm

I dig it! I love that it doesn't feel like you're in a hurry, instead just letting the waves wash over you. As someone who messes with this sort of music lots and is never satisfied with what I produce, it's normally because I'm never patient enough to let things develop fully. :thumb:
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Lurker13 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:24 pm

PeteeBee wrote:I dig it! I love that it doesn't feel like you're in a hurry, instead just letting the waves wash over you. As someone who messes with this sort of music lots and is never satisfied with what I produce, it's normally because I'm never patient enough to let things develop fully. :thumb:

Thanks Pete, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :joy:

I've often been unsatisfied with my own music too, even so-called finished works. I feel like no artistic endeavor I undertake is every truly finished in some objective, definitive way. I always hear something in it that could have been better.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:01 pm

It is a bit too rhythmic for my taste, but I like some of the tones which is where my interest in music mainly resides. I enjoy the sound design aspect of music. And it is not even so much that I dislike the rhythm, but there is just too much of it because it is a long song.

Concerning what DOS said about evolution....it is true that that is what people will probably expect and like the most. After all, that is how we as humans function...we are born, we grow up, we die. In other words, we evolve. We have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Humans also tend to write books and movies in this manner as well. But I say to heck with the humans. I, for one, am not convinced this is always the best approach to music. The music I write typically doesn't have a beginning or an end. It only has a middle. Not really saying one approach is better than the other. Just saying there are many approaches.

What gear did you use?

Also agree with DOS on this point:

D.o.S. wrote: I'm a nerd
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Last edited by Ugly Nora on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:55 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:It is a bit too rhythmic for my taste, but I like some of the tones which is where my interest in music mainly resides. I enjoy the sound design aspect of music. And it is not even so much that I dislike the rhythm, but there is just too much of it because it is a long song.

Concerning what DOS said about evolution....it is true that that is what people will probably expect and like the most. After all, that is how we as humans function...we are born, we grow up, we die. In other words, we evolve. We have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Humans also tend to write books and movies in this manner as well. But I say to heck with the humans. I, for one, am not convinced this is always the best approach to music. The music I write typically doesn't have a beginning or an end. It only has a middle. Not really saying one approach is better than the other. Just saying there are many approaches.

What gear did you use?

Also agree with DOS on this point:

D.o.S. wrote: I'm a nerd

Thanks for listening, Nora. :) I appreciate anyone taking 11:11 out of their life to give it a chance.

I like tones too, next time I plan on painting with a bigger palette.

I also agree with you on the issue of structure. If you can make a middle-only piece work, then go for it. The whole point of being experimental is to find something different. (I'm great at stating the obvious.)

Gear used: Gibson SG tuned to C standard --> HoF --> Boss DD-6 --> Fender SCX2 clean channel --> laptop via emulated output, and recorded in Audacity. I also added more reverb in Audacity. That washed out some of the subtleties and percussiveness, but really brought out the lower frequencies.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:56 pm

Double post. Seems to be going around today.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:41 am

You all do know that you can delete your post as long as some cunt doesn't come and post after you.. you just have to click the little EXy button between the edit and REPORT THAT ASSHOLE ! button :p .

Anyway.. I liked this, a lot. It reminded me a lot of early experimental music that you come across in old horror, spy, art house and weird hippy films. I also like the dullness of the over "tone" if you had gone with a more edgy modern... fuzzy sound I don't think I would have liked it or related it to as well, as for the pulsing, that to added a certain vibe that was nice, more randomness is fine but would have doing so actually helped this particular idea? not really, it's fine as is. Also cream? cream? that's obscure Dos.. :lol:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:53 am

Ginger Baker is my spirit animal don't judge me.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:34 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Ginger Baker is my spirit animal don't judge me.

Wasn't he known for being a dick though?
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Music