Bands like the last Thursday albums?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Bands like the last Thursday albums?

Postby casecandy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:24 am

Glassjaw is my life so I won't start an argument because I'll get all weird about it.

I endorse every band mentioned in this thread in any context, basically.

Whoever said Hotelier, ding ding, give this man a cookie, etc.

Also the burning dumpster definitely was an inadvertent compliment LOL

Re: "obscure form of Judaism," you're not wrong. How it works is, the two brothers at the core of the band were raised Christian; their father was Jewish, so in a sense, they're Jewish, and their mother, Episcopalian Christian. Later in life their parents converted to Sufi Islam. So the kids got all that influence and put it in their music. It's more Abrahamic rock than Christian rock. The Arabic passages in mwY are my favourite parts, TBH...

How are Underoath and Thursday not similar though? I think they're very similar. They must seem very similar from where D.o.S. is standing :lol:
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby casecandy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:29 am

Also,

D.o.S. wrote:Do I do that on myspace? or do I just burn their name into my arm with my hair straightener by candlelight and pray that they'll respond?

this comment elicited a hearty chuckle
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:52 pm

casecandy wrote:Glassjaw is my life so I won't start an argument because I'll get all weird about it.

I endorse every band mentioned in this thread in any context, basically.

Whoever said Hotelier, ding ding, give this man a cookie, etc.

Also the burning dumpster definitely was an inadvertent compliment LOL

Re: "obscure form of Judaism," you're not wrong. How it works is, the two brothers at the core of the band were raised Christian; their father was Jewish, so in a sense, they're Jewish, and their mother, Episcopalian Christian. Later in life their parents converted to Sufi Islam. So the kids got all that influence and put it in their music. It's more Abrahamic rock than Christian rock. The Arabic passages in mwY are my favourite parts, TBH...

How are Underoath and Thursday not similar though? I think they're very similar. They must seem very similar from where D.o.S. is standing :lol:

Underoath is catchy metal-core? I don't know what anything sounds like after "They're Only Chasing Safety" which came out in what, 04/05? That's super catchy metal core. I think the defining point of Thursday is Geoff's voice over anything else. I think that's what makes them a bit more unique.

Admittedly I kind of stopped really carrying about Thursday after War All of the Time. I'd much rather listen to that record, Waiting and Full Collapse. Even though I think the guitar work in the later stuff may be great I just can't sit myself down with it.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby casecandy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:56 pm

I think the defining point of Thursday is Geoff's voice over anything else. I think that's what makes them a bit more unique.

Definitely, he's one of the ultimate examples of a singer that can't really sing, to me. In high school his friends called him "Tone Geoff." But he didn't give a shit, he just went ahead and made a scene in his basement anyway.
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Invisible Man » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:55 am

casecandy wrote:Also,

D.o.S. wrote:Do I do that on myspace? or do I just burn their name into my arm with my hair straightener by candlelight and pray that they'll respond?

this comment elicited a hearty chuckle

Now that you're back, D.o.S. can feed again. He's been hungry, and he's had to scrounge...it's been ugly.

Please tell me Abrahamic Rock is not a real thing, and that you're just expanding this definition to make a point.

Deuteronomic Rock fuck yeah
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby Invisible Man » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:56 am

casecandy wrote:
I think the defining point of Thursday is Geoff's voice over anything else. I think that's what makes them a bit more unique.

Definitely, he's one of the ultimate examples of a singer that can't really sing, to me. In high school his friends called him "Tone Geoff." But he didn't give a shit, he just went ahead and made a scene in his basement anyway.

Yeah, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but dude has always sounded like a deaf guy fronting a band as far as I can tell.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby odontophobia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:41 am

Invisible Man wrote:
Please tell me Abrahamic Rock is not a real thing, and that you're just expanding this definition to make a point.

Deuteronomic Rock fuck yeah

Nah. Definitely not a thing.
Just casecandy's music blog writerly way of talking about mewithoutyou (not a diss).
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Strange Tales » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:48 am

mewithoutYou haters can all go have things of unfortunate circumstances happen to them.

Band rules, forever backed.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:15 pm

Invisible Man wrote:Please tell me Abrahamic Rock is not a real thing, and that you're just expanding this definition to make a point.

Seems like they'd be "mewithoutJew" then.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:20 pm

D.o.S. wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:Please tell me Abrahamic Rock is not a real thing, and that you're just expanding this definition to make a point.

lololol
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Invisible Man » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:21 pm

D.o.S. wrote:

Hasidicore

Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby frodog » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:27 pm

Invisible Man wrote:
casecandy wrote:

Yeah, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but dude has always sounded like a deaf guy fronting a band as far as I can tell.

I don't hear how Geoff Rickly is a bad singer, though I say that as a worse singer who mostly screams because of it (plus I prefer it and general band loudness). But the backup screaming in Thursday is actually what I like the least in their vocal department. The slightly off singing is a hallmark of post-hardcore and screamo bands with occasional singing (you & i, make me..) anyway, it only seems appropriate for such a band to not have perfect vocals. Some do, and are all the more boring for it.

Oh, and check out these guys of course, the late great MD.

frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:55 pm

It's not even his intonation or pitch--it's how he forms words that seems really odd to me. Kind of bleating vowel sounds with underemphasized hard consonants.

Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby casecandy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:07 am

frodog, yes! I have always maintained that Million Dead are the UK's answer to Thursday. Frank Turner's subsequent singer-songwriter career has also yielded gems. 2011's England, Keep My Bones is honestly my favourite concept record about a country (Stan Roger's superior Northwest Passage doesn't count, because it's really only about the Canadian West). Even Spacey likes Million Dead, look it up.

No, Abrahamic Rock isn't a thing, I'm saying, technically, isn't that what you'd call a Christian-Muslim-Jewish band? They've definitely alienated the evangelical component of their original core fans. The reaction to the Muslim stuff at first was less than warm. Watching these poor church kids doing mental handstands trying to convince themselves Aaron was some kind of conventional Christian was a little sad.
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:01 am

casecandy wrote:fWatching these poor church kids doing mental handstands trying to convince themselves that their world view lines up with reality is a little sad.

ftfy
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music