Say Anything dropped a surprise album!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Say Anything dropped a surprise album!

Postby SPACERITUAL » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:18 pm

I'm not even joking I got a gift rose and I'm about to light up right the fuck now LETS GO MELVINS
D.o.S. wrote:Yeah I have a Godsmack shirt

jwar wrote:Not to be a dick or anything but My Bloody Valentine sucks ass.

My whole life is a shitpost. One. Big. Shit. Post.
SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby casecandy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:28 pm

FIRST POST: EXPLANATORY POST

Hey everybody! I'm gonna triple post here. First post is this explanatory post. Second post is about Say Anything. Third post is about me and ILF.
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:04 am

Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby casecandy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:26 am

SECOND POST: SAY ANYTHING (AND GLASSJAW, FUCK IT)

people who write great songs but aren't otherwise deserving of the virtuoso title you seem to give them

Max Bemis is a way better guitarist than people give him credit for and while I think "virtuoso" is definitely a stretch, I wouldn't hesitate to call him "unique." You hear a Say Anything melody played on guitar or harp or synth and you're like, "That's a Say Anything melody." He's got his own thing going on and it's really quite wonderful. I'll get into that more in a bit.

why not just explain what it is about that record that you really like instead of putting everything on a pedestal

Ironically, I kept that post short, because I usually get ragged out for purple prose. I only have to modes: say nothing and say everything.

What I like about ...Is A Real Boy would take tens of thousands of words to explore fully, so I'll keep it brief. I've listened to it every other week since 2005 or so... uh... why not a number list in no particular order?

1. Lyrics. Bleaker than your average black metal record for their nihilism and honesty, but with an undercurrent of reluctant concession to some greater truth. Compare to similar artists Titus Andronicus and Bright Eyes who express nihilistic sentiments with humour in the same manner as Say Anything, but rarely allow that humour to blossom into something rosier; Say Anything is a band that's full of vitriol but doesn't really want to be. And as the career of the band unfolded, that promise was kept, as he got married, had a kid, found Jesus, the whole shebang. But here, it's these hideously bleak lyrics, coupled with the seed of something brighter, that's just incredible. It makes me feel like, you can reconcile those parts of your humanity, you can be hateful or apathetic and also in love or hope for something better. And that's exactly what Max was trying to do, here.
2. Production. For this album, Max Bemis brought on Hedwig and the Angry Inch composer Stephen Trask for pre-production advice and uncredited co-writing. The songs definitely show the signs of having been collaborated on because their "flavour" is just so different from that of subsequent efforts. Before their association with the pop-punk scene, Say Anything were primarily referred to as an "LA rock band," and that's exactly what this album is: an LA rock album, just as drug-addled as anything Guns N' Roses ever put out, sun-baked and dripping ennui. Tim O'Heir was the album's producer, proper, and he captures a grittiness that isn't necessarily present on the band's subsequent albums. It was as if Max had this thing inside of him and the two people he worked with just provided a canvas for him. Coaxes incredible guitar sounds out of Fender Blues Deluxe that I know from experience isn't that great an amp. It never quite happened again for the band.
3. The Weezer factor. You know how Weezer will always be sort of cool because they released Blue and Pinkerton, and those records are so good, that it's sort of a blank cheque to put out whatever shit they want to for the rest of time, and fans will be cool with it? This is like that. I'm beyond comfortable with the band riding this record's coattails into perma-relevance that isn't necessarily deserved anymore. I find it amusing and, in some sick way, satisfying. It's a record good enough to be a career.
4. Influence. Going to a Say Anything show is just an insane experience because all of the fans are 100% as turnt as I am. There are very few halfway Say Anything fans anymore. I get up to the front, right against the bars, and I fucking belt every word of every song with my hand across my chest. And I look around and I'm not even close to being alone. The best part is that the bands themselves are excited to be there; touring with Say Anything has become a badge of honour. They always say, "We can't believe we're out here opening for a band that is honestly our favourite band, one of the reasons that we started playing," or something to that effect. Say Anything, and ...Is A Real Boy, have become one of those rare bands/records that revitalizes an entire scene, bridges the bands that came before it to the ones that came after it. Max is respected by musicians in bands like The Get Up Kids, Dashboard Confessional, Blink 182, and Saves The Day, and also by any of their contemporaries, and is now inspiring a whole new wave of bands, like The Wonder Years, Hotelier, Modern Baseball, and The World Is A Beautiful Place. You find me a pop-punk musician who doesn't at least like this album and I'll be surprised.
5. The guitar. ...Is A Real Boy is literally my favourite guitar record of all time. So concise, angular, well-paced, and melodic, that I'd be hard-pressed to think of a note that feels out of place or extraneous. The only derivative sound on the whole album is the solo in the song "Every Man Has A Molly," which sounds like one of Brian Bell's solos in Weezer, and it's telling that it's actually Casey from Hot Rod Circuit playing that, not Max. It's just not stereotypical guitar rock, despite the fact that it functions well in that role; all the chord voicing and scales are unique. The drums are pretty fucking sexy, too. Too bad Coby left the band to become a fitness instructor.
6. Max's voice. Nothing to explain here... it's my favourite voice. Sounds like no one else and full of intensity. Unafraid to be instantly recognizable.

I'm gonna stop there. "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture," etc.

But Coloring Book and My Color Green trump both of them.

As a diehard Glassjaw fan who owns physical copies of those albums and everything, I disagree. I don't think W&T has been followed up quite yet. It's heavy in a way that they don't seem to be able to recapture. I remember reading about Arab Strap's reunion and the singer said, "We're not really Arab Strap anymore, are we? More like... two guys doing their own informed pastiche." That how I feel about the new heavy stuff. "Informed pastiche." Like, I want it to be heavy but now when they do heavy it's like they're chasing the dragon or something. It's been too long. (Disclaimer: all of this jaded attituded will fly out the window when the new LP comes out and I squeel like a schoolgirl whilst peeing my pants in exictement like a drunk who overstimated his bladder and underestimated the distance to the pub bathroom.)
Last edited by casecandy on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby casecandy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:37 am

THIRD POST: ME & ILF

I'm def. not trying to D.o.S. you here ... "unimpeachable masterpiece."

ironically, I picked up the use of the word "unimpeachable" in a music criticism context from none other than D.o.S. I said, "I'm not that into The Minutemen. Plebian heresy, I'm sure." He said, "Correct. The Minutemen are unimpeachable." I was rather smitten with the word. I stand by its use here.

you're so triumphantly enthusiastic about things that it makes it really hard to value your opinions at all ... drop the idol worship ... You're the boy who cried wolf with music, dude. Everything is so fucking great that I cannot possibly believe that anything is great when you're posting about it

Look, if it's any consolation I can assure you that I really feel that way about anything I say I do about. I'm a passionate person and I feel things, both love and hate things, in a really big way. Think of me as both Joy and Sadness from the Pixar movie Inside Out, coexisting "in a myopic ooze of raw nowness that is beautiful and gross at the same time." It's not like I've ever gotten super stoked about some mediocre shit.

Reference:

Racism aside,

This is the new trope. "Case Candy is racist." FML.

Honestly that criticism of CC is bullshit... he usually provides thoughtful critique of various facets of the actual music he is discussing

Thank you for your acknowledgement of this. I'd like to think it's true.

yeah, it's kind of hard to find his opinions when they're buried by 5 posts of him loving something.

This is probably why most people don't notice.

Srs though I want you guys to know that I'm on the road so I'm doing slot of blow and smoking a shitton of meth so if I say something offcolor it's because you're being boring and I'm lit as FUCK SON

I love you. Full homo.

redefining music journalism

Great album title right there.

And I'm not trying to harsh your mellow or anything.

It is literally impossible to harsh my mellow. I am cucumber cool.

without some of your usual "flair."

"My, uh... flair?"

casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:37 am

:lol:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby odontophobia » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Say Anything is not my thing -- which is no biggie. You and I have plenty of cross-section so it's no thing -- there is a certain path that you walk that I steer clear of when finding/listening to music.

Glassjaw is something we both like but with exception of Weezer there isn't a band you mentioned that I'm into at this stage in the game (although "Stay What You Are" has a tender spot in my heart I couldn't care less about the rest of the STD catalog). The new crop of "emo" or whatever bands I find really trite and boring but plenty of people could say that about something I'm listening to these days.

Thanks for your Say Anything clarification. I read it. It hasn't changed my opinion on the band but at least there was some substance.

:D
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby casecandy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:48 pm

although "Stay What You Are" has a tender spot in my heart I couldn't care less about the rest of the STD catalog

No love for Through Being Cool? :idk: :lol:
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby casecandy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Just to temper my unbridled enthusiasm for the band (Say Anything, I mean), and show that I am a reasonable person, I will acknowledge publicly that they stole EVERYTHING from Sebadoh, specifically the album III. Like... if you're a Say Anything fan, listen to III, and it's shocking, how much he lifted from that band, aesthetically and sonically.
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gnomethrone » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:21 pm

http://m.noisey.vice.com/blog/max-bemis-i-dont-think-it-is-interview
Did you read this? You probably read this.
I like picturing Yezus getting super hyped up to new say anything tracks.

Also...

say anything sux all the dix
:thumb:
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:16 pm

This thread has delivered almost everything I expected/wanted.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby casecandy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:07 am

I did read that Noisey article! I would kill for a Kanye song with a Bemis chorus. Just a really obnoxious, sweaty, Jewish chorus slapped on a Kanye song. Let's do it!
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:20 pm

casecandy wrote:
although "Stay What You Are" has a tender spot in my heart I couldn't care less about the rest of the STD catalog

nah.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby casecandy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:37 pm

odontophobia wrote:
casecandy wrote:

nah.

You're literally the first person I've ever met, who knew who STD were in the first place, who preferred SWYA to TBC. What an oddity!

I have much love for "Freakish." It is the lighter song to end all lighter songs. I saw them live (opening for SA, of course) in 2010, and "Freakish" and "At Your Funeral" brought the fucking house down.
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:54 am

casecandy wrote:
odontophobia wrote:
casecandy wrote:

nah.

You're literally the first person I've ever met, who knew who STD were in the first place, who preferred SWYA to TBC. What an oddity!

I have much love for "Freakish." It is the lighter song to end all lighter songs. I saw them live (opening for SA, of course) in 2010, and "Freakish" and "At Your Funeral" brought the fucking house down.

Oddly enough, "Freakish" is my least favorite song on the album. Haha.

"Firefly" and "As Your Ghost Takes Flight" are the stand out tracks, for me at least.

I'm at the stage in my life where Through Being Cool isn't going to do it for me, now, and I never got into it when I was younger, and as a result I never got into it.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Music