Oarfish - Heavy instrumental doom. (New single!)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: First Oarfish EP released! Heavy instrumental doom.

Postby oarfish » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:59 pm

lapsteel wrote:Fantastic. Delightfully heavy. Thanks for this work!

You post your rig yet?

Thanks a lot! So, LET'S TALK RIG AND RECORDING! :!!!:

I played all guitar, bass and keyboards. The drums were also played on a keyboard, then fixed up in the sequencer. All tracks were recorded, mixed and mastered in Propellerhead Reason 8.

The guitar's a beaten up Aria Pro II RS Wildcat, an 80's Matsumoko-guitar I got for $200. It's tuned to C standard. The bass is also a Japanese 80s thing, a Greco Pegasus. Quite hard to find information on but I love it to death. All amps are amp simulations (I know, right!?) by Kuassa. The general set-up is Cream for one guitar track, Vermillion for the other. They're always panned pretty hard left and right for some extra width.

Pedals varied a bit during the recordings, the only constant one was the BAT Quantum Mystic. There's also quite a bit of Pharaoh Supreme and DOD Boneshaker. For example, I believe Heracleion used the Boneshaker feeding into Quantum Mystic for the left panned guitar and Boneshaker feeding into Pharaoh for the right. The track Rungholt is a bit different, got a pretty gnarly fuzz sound from the Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder that I'm still not quite sure how I dialed in. Love it though. There was feedback involved. :omg:

The more ambient parts generally had a Blackout Effectors Mantra LE fed into DOD Phasor and Digitech Obscura. Sometimes with some software delay/verb, sometimes not.

Drums were Ryan Greene Alt Drums, a kick ass sample library. Beyond that I used a bunch of Reason's stock devices (SSL-modeled channel strips etc.) and some third-party plugins, dynamics and EQ primarily.

I think that's about it! :animal:
Listen to Oarfish, it's heavy.
oarfish

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:46 pm

Man. That has me super interested in Reason.

I just switched from OS X to Windows and haven't yet meshed with my DAW of choice. Expensive little bugger though. :D
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:41 am

Yeah man. Sounds great! Especially for being mostly software amp tones. Great album!
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dungus » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:26 am

I use Reason too and the RV7000 reverb update allows for impulse response stuff, so you could use a Kuassa amp, turn off the cab, stick on the reverb and add in a Rosen Marshall 4x12 or Fender Super Twin or something, if you want something a little better/more realistic sounding (although your guitar stuff sounds excellent already!) If you forgive the lack of 3rd party (or use it in conjunction with Ableton or something), Reason is absolute gold.

I cordially invite you to fuck right off and let the rest of us talk about music like adults.- dubkitty
Dungus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oarfish » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:31 am

Dungus wrote:I use Reason too and the RV7000 reverb update allows for impulse response stuff, so you could use a Kuassa amp, turn off the cab, stick on the reverb and add in a Rosen Marshall 4x12 or Fender Super Twin or something, if you want something a little better/more realistic sounding (although your guitar stuff sounds excellent already!) If you forgive the lack of 3rd party (or use it in conjunction with Ableton or something), Reason is absolute gold.

Yeah I've got a couple cab IRs lined up, haven't gotten to using them yet though. I think it's nice to not have the entire world of VSTs available, becomes a bit more focused that way and the workflow stays the same. But you might want to take what I say with a grain of salt, I work at Propellerhead. ;)
oarfish

committed
committed

Postby Dungus » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:47 am

oarfish wrote:I think it's nice to not have the entire world of VSTs available, becomes a bit more focused that way and the workflow stays the same. But you might want to take what I say with a grain of salt, I work at Propellerhead. ;)

Amazing! And yes, agreed (the bit about world of vsts) :thumb:

I cordially invite you to fuck right off and let the rest of us talk about music like adults.- dubkitty
Dungus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby nulautre » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Hey, I just wanted to say that I am LOVING this music! Also I really enjoy your pedal review videos... ive made a couple of purchases based on them.
neonblack wrote:If the fuck sounds broken, it's doing its job.
nulautre

interested
interested

Postby oarfish » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:55 am

nulautre wrote:Hey, I just wanted to say that I am LOVING this music! Also I really enjoy your pedal review videos... ive made a couple of purchases based on them.

Thanks so much! I appreciate it.

Already thinking of a follow-up release, but first I need that custom Oarfish pedal I've ordered... :!!!:
oarfish

committed
committed

Postby oarfish » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:40 am

Thread necromancy! Just released the EP on Spotify, iTunes, Deezer, Tidal and Google Play. Go have a listen:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/1Xu18Fve9usg26JT6EWpC8
iTunes (who messed up the name and cover art): https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ep-ep/id1150905712
Deezer: http://www.deezer.com/artist/5635310
Tidal: http://tidal.com/artist/8104561
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/music/alb ... 6ctw4dffry

And to avoid confusion, apparently there's another Oarfish out there but I definitely didn't make the album "Bucket of Hate" (although I envy the album name :D).
oarfish

committed
committed

Postby aen » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Fuyah! So... is it hard to get your shit on all those platforms? Because I would also like some people to listen to my things.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oarfish » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:37 pm

aen wrote:Fuyah! So... is it hard to get your shit on all those platforms? Because I would also like some people to listen to my things.

I thought was, so I didn't do it for the longest time. Then it turns out it takes like 5 minutes and costs like $30. I used Record Union, but I've also heard good things about TuneCore and Spinnup. :)
oarfish

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks for reminding me I enjoy this EP!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby oarfish » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:31 pm

goroth wrote:Thanks for reminding me I enjoy this EP!

My pleasure! Just started working on the next Oarfish release too, due this year. Here's a little teaser:

oarfish

committed
committed

Postby gnomethrone » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Glad you have more stuff in the works! Oafish rules.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Joe Gress » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:00 pm

Fackin supa!
awesome signature with witty quotes from all you fuckers :)
Joe Gress

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Music