Modern emo, emo prog and stuff

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Modern emo, emo prog and stuff

Postby waltdogg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:05 pm

Wangy-bar. :lol:

Noise is an entirely different thing for me.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby casecandy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:13 pm

waltdogg wrote:Wangy-bar
A mermaid falling into a black hole
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DarkAxel » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:19 am

foomanfat wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:to me Protest are pretty metalcore :idk:

I have to respectfully disagree. Protest lack the abrasive, dissonant qualities of a metalcore band. Also, no breakdowns.
To me, they have much more in common with progressive metal acts, with their heavy emphasis on technical musicianship as well as strong, melodic clean vocals.

On prog emo: I never knew that was a thing. I've always lumped most of these bands into the post-hardcore header.

Oh, I'd absolutely agree with prog metal, BUT

a) i was talking mainly choice between emo prog and metalcore
b) not sure if you noticed, but seems to me that lately prog metal = djent. :idk:

they are technical as hell, so yeah

hey dudes :idk: I made this thread out of boredom, too, so... no problem if it's not super interesting. it is mainly about pointless putting bands in boxes
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby foomanfat » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:13 am

Ah, okay. I guess I've never thought about djent as prog metal. I generally reserve that more for the likes of BTBAM and such.
I don't think I've really listened to djent that much. Are Vildhjarta djent?
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:26 am

Djent is a genre that I hate to listen to on album, but fucking love listening to live. With the exception of Meshuggah, who are always choice. As for Genre, I always see it as a square-rectangle sort of deal. Djent is Prog but Prog ain't Djent. Even then the Djent fad died down a bit after periphery moved away from the sound, so it's neither here nor there. :idk: Periphery is this generations Dream Theater, I can't handle their production and a lot of their turbo RPG/videogame dragonforcing. But Misha Mansoor is a great dude with a good penchant of taking great photos of fine furniture guitars.

I think the only band I can fully stomach in the New American Prog Metal banner (wtf, really...) is Animals as Leaders, but that's because Tosin Abasi is so completely alien as a player that it makes it sound cool again. Well, BTBAM too--but they've stood apart from that trend in most regards, especially now with their classic prog tinged new album.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkAxel » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:58 am

foomanfat wrote:Ah, okay. I guess I've never thought about djent as prog metal. I generally reserve that more for the likes of BTBAM and such.

WELCOME TO THE FUCKING NORMAL PEOPLE CLUB DUDE :hello: :facepalm:
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby foomanfat » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:03 am

:lol:
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:03 pm

Had no idea prog emo was a thing. I haven't heard most of the bands listed here, but yeah, I guess Minus the Bear would be prog emo (though I think there are big differences between math and prog).

Anyway, this was what popped up in my head when I heard the term:

https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby SPACERITUAL » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:50 pm

DarkAxel wrote: The Receiving End of Sirens

I scammed on these dudes chicks one year at warped tour when i was hanging out with the esoteric. Brian southall and casey crescendo are 100% bitchmade usda choice grade a SPACERITUAL approved punkasses.
D.o.S. wrote:Yeah I have a Godsmack shirt

jwar wrote:Not to be a dick or anything but My Bloody Valentine sucks ass.

My whole life is a shitpost. One. Big. Shit. Post.
SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby casecandy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:22 pm

SPACERITUAL wrote:
DarkAxel wrote: The Receiving End of Sirens

I scammed on these dudes chicks one year at warped tour when i was hanging out with the esoteric. Brian southall and casey crescendo are 100% bitchmade usda choice grade a SPACERITUAL approved punkasses.
I feel like... like my life is different somehow, knowing this.
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby casecandy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:30 pm

@DarkAxel, you mentioned Vheissu?

Also I thought about this thread and I think it would be totally fair to slap the "prog emo" label on Thrice circa Vheissu. They went through a hardcore phase, a post-hardcore phase, and after Vheissu, they discovered Russian Circles and got a little more rock/metal in their songwriting (sidebar, Major/Minor is totes underrated). But Vheissu, for me, was the sweet spot.

The lyrics are absolutely massive, taken from Moby Dick, C.S. Lewis, all over the map. The guitars are also huge, loads of Drop A and Drop B songs. But what made it a little proggy was the sheer amount of thought that went into the music. If you read the booklet of the deluxe edition CD, they explain the rhythms and the progressions of each song and the thought that went into it. It's apparent to me that they were at the height of their creative powers on that record.
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DarkAxel » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:37 am

To me Vheissu is pretty post-hc :idk:

If they ever went prog, it was on The Alchemy Index for me. Same way The Dear Hunter went prog on The Color Spectrum - experimenting with different genres, instrumentation and feels, creating a very chameleon-like feel for the band.

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:29 am

DarkAxel wrote:To me Vheissu is pretty post-hc :idk:

If they ever went prog, it was on The Alchemy Index for me. Same way The Dear Hunter went prog on The Color Spectrum - experimenting with different genres, instrumentation and feels, creating a very chameleon-like feel for the band.

How has the Dear Hunter not been prog from the beginning? :idk:

Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkAxel » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:27 am

Shit, didn't say that right at all

I meant it's was the same... king of progginess? the same concept if you will? Just making tons of music, conceptualized by colours/elements, sort of synestheticly almost...

TDH have been prog since Act I for sure :) I just see an interesting proggy connection between Color Spectrum and Thrice's Alchemy Index and the point was to point out the only progginess I really feel in Thrice rather than comment on TDH, dig?

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby casecandy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:37 am

Alchemy Index is definitely proggy, too, and the post-metal, Russian Circles type influence had crept in by then, too (i.e. "Night Diving")

My favourite disk of AI is Earth... the acoustic disc... they did such a good job of matching the music to the elements, you can feel the dust on songs like "Moving Mountains"

I don't know the first thing about love...
I don't know the first thing about love...
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Music