New ceremony album

Moderator: Ghost Hip

New ceremony album

Postby PeteeBee » Thu May 21, 2015 1:13 am

Anyone else pick it up? I'm not sure how big or not they are outside the Bay Area.... I freaking love it. I'm a little in fanboy land because I split a practice room with a side project thing of theirs. The record came with a download code that still has a few uses. If anyone wants it pm me.

Anyone dig the new fully post punk sound? It seems really joy division and Interpol. I think it suits Ross' voice perfectly, although it seems some reviewers don't agree.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: New ceremony album

Postby SPACERITUAL » Thu May 21, 2015 8:19 am

Are we talking about the hardcore band or the guys that used to be in skywave?
D.o.S. wrote:Yeah I have a Godsmack shirt

jwar wrote:Not to be a dick or anything but My Bloody Valentine sucks ass.

My whole life is a shitpost. One. Big. Shit. Post.
SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Muff_Diver » Thu May 21, 2015 9:34 am

Hi there! Been a longtime fan of ceremony. I've loved to watch them bloom into the band they were last year, but this new album isnt an improvement to my mind.

It's not a bad album, but its lacking a lot of what I like(d) most about them. If you havent read the pitchfork review (a brutal 3.3/10) i recommend it.

Ceremony is a great punk band. They were punk on violence violence, they were punk on zoo, and they were certainly punk on rohnert park (my fave of their releases) but this new one really is out of character for them and what they do best. The Joy Division/New Order/Interpol world is a tough one to get into, and I think it would have been a lot cooler if they combined some of the zoo flavor with it, rather than just totally jumping ship. That's what made rohnhert and zoo so good; that they were hardcore albums that didnt sound like anything else. That's not to say that you cant compare those albums to other seminal punk artists, but no one could pin it to a specific artist like you can with l-shaped man. Instead of pushing their deservedly well-established position further, they just took a new one. I've always loved ceremony for the progress they made in punk which I fear they've abandoned.

Maybe matador made them do it.

The separation is a fucking great track though and I still got my ticket to see them. such a great band.

Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby BoatRich » Thu May 21, 2015 11:31 am

Ceremony is possibly my favorite band and I've been waiting for this transformation since I first heard Rohnert Park. I'm in love. The album is perfect and I'm almost entirely convinced they can do no wrong. That said, it's not a punk record and that did kinda bum me out at first as Muff Diver said. I was really hoping for things to take on that whole "weird punk" thing they perfected on Rohnert Park and Zoo. Still really glad to see them constantly doing something interesting though.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Thu May 21, 2015 2:55 pm

I 100% agree with you guys. Wayyyy different from old stuff. I think it's more original than pitchfork/rolling stone/whomever give them credit. The influences are obvious, but it still sounds like them. I agree, it could get weirder, and would appreciate that, but I still love it.

Rohnert park is still my favorite, but I dig this. I'm in two projects right now. One of them we used the album violence as one of our agreed upon albums we love and want to somewhat imitate, the other is honestly pretty similar to the new album. I'm excited to see them in Seattle in a couple months and see how they make it all fit into one set.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BoatRich » Thu May 21, 2015 2:58 pm

PeteeBee wrote:I 100% agree with you guys. Wayyyy different from old stuff. I think it's more original than pitchfork/rolling stone/whomever give them credit. The influences are obvious, but it still sounds like them. I agree, it could get weirder, and would appreciate that, but I still love it.

Rohnert park is still my favorite, but I dig this. I'm in two projects right now. One of them we used the album violence as one of our agreed upon albums we love and want to somewhat imitate, the other is honestly pretty similar to the new album. I'm excited to see them in Seattle in a couple months and see how they make it all fit into one set.

Dude, fuck yeah. One of my overarching big influences is Violence Violence as kind of a benchmark for "this is what hardcore should sound like" and as someone who's always had a massive interest in the general feeling of new wave/post punk/emo but resonated more with hardcore musically, they've always seemed like they're writing the songs in my head.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby SPACERITUAL » Fri May 22, 2015 3:28 am

Ok thanks you were talking about the hardcore band.

SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby WayToHip » Fri May 22, 2015 4:53 pm

I too love Ceremony, I have no idea where I heard about them but the Rohnert Park EP was the first thing I listened to by them and the more hardcore stuff grew on me. Violence, Violence might be my favourite of their output.

I like this new direction, I think with the sound they had continuing in that would get stale and tired. Maybe this is a one time thing, and the next album will be aggressive.
Tom Dalton wrote:"I want to be as big as I can if it's going to stop a bullet."
WayToHip

experienced
experienced

Postby christianatl » Mon May 25, 2015 11:15 pm

Pretty much love everything they've done; got the new one on vinyl today.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whores/108004672554176
http://whores.bandcamp.com
http://whores.bigcartel.com

WTB: Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, Keeley 30ms Delay, cool fuzzes and hand-painted stuff.
christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby futuresailors » Fri May 29, 2015 4:47 pm

SPACERITUAL wrote:Ok thanks you were talking about the hardcore band.

Futuresailors was also disappointed.
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Fri May 29, 2015 8:00 pm

PeteeBee wrote:I 100% agree with you guys. Wayyyy different from old stuff. I think it's more original than pitchfork/rolling stone/whomever give them credit. The influences are obvious, but it still sounds like them. I agree, it could get weirder, and would appreciate that, but I still love it.

Never listened to this band before, but that youtube track sounds 110% like one of those terrible Joy Division cover bands that were all over the radio a few years ago.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Sat May 30, 2015 5:04 pm

I get the feeling they planned this from their band's inception.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby christianatl » Sat May 30, 2015 7:43 pm

It's really a weird move.

WTB: Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, Keeley 30ms Delay, cool fuzzes and hand-painted stuff.
christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby SPACERITUAL » Sat May 30, 2015 9:00 pm

D.o.S. wrote:

Never listened to this band before, but that youtube track sounds 110% like one of those terrible Joy Division cover bands that were all over the radio a few years ago.

SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby christianatl » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:59 am

L.A.'s Virginia Reed is doing the same thing, but way better: https://msvirginiareed.bandcamp.com/alb ... al-enemies

christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to Music